Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 31,997 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a native MT girl, been living and enjoying Helena area...the cost of living v.s. wages in MT has always been a struggle. We are considering a move to Spokane, we've always wanted to fix up an older (Craftsman-Victorian Style) home, and it seems the home prices right now all over Spokane is really Low, Low, Low! Any feedback on great areas to live in Spokane...I've got my eye on a house on W. 15th just near the Rocket,and a couple others a few blocks South of NW BLVD. in the Audobon Park area (Shannon and Indiana Ave.)
I'd love any feedback from PARENTS, MOMS, FAMILIES CURRENTLY LIVING IN SPOKANE.
Thanks friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 01:00 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,381 times
Well that could be tough because there are a number of nice areas for
young families in the city of Spokane and Spokane Valley...and there are allot of new housing with young familes moving in near Sullivan and Broadway in the Spokane Valley and also in the Airway Heights area near the afb.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:19 AM

26 posts, read 99,234 times
My wife and I just moved back into the exact neighborhood you are talking about moving into. We really can't say enough good things about it! We used to live near 15th and Adams, and just several houses away from the Rocket Bakery. We enjoyed living there very much!! We later found a 1- room schoolhouse in the Saltese Flats area that we were going to convert into our home. We made an offer on it and it was accepted contingent upon selling our house. We sold our house, and the underwriter declined the loan only 2 days before closing. No fault on our part, they were just apprehensive on the scope of the project. We felt devastated. Fast forward several months.. we just recently found and bought a foreclosure in our old neighborhood just a short ways away from our old house, and we couldn't be happier!! We really love old houses and their character, charm, and history. You're absolutely looking in the right area!!! The Cliff Park Addition/Cannon Hill area is truly an amazing place to call home. Tree lined streets chock full of historic homes, 3 amazing parks to walk to and play at with the children (Cliff, Cannon Hill, & Manito), Rosauers grocery store down the street within walking distance, Rocket Bakery, Bennidito's Pizza, Huckleberrys Natural Market, Rockwood Bakery, downtown shopping and restaurants, etc.. It's a great place indeed.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 20,709 times
I hear mead and medical lake school districts offer good public schools.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
I'm an ancient product of the Medical Lake schools and can read and write and do my ciphers, too--and even became a productive member of society.

(Seriously, I preferred it to the Cheney system. I became a career educator and looking back on what ML was doing when I was there was actually pretty good. I hear from multiple sources that it's still a very good school system, and not so big your kid will fall through the cracks. Of course, Mead seems to have all the bragging rights in the area...good school system, too. Actually, the Spokane area is blessed with some better than average systems.)

Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 11,823 times
I'm partial to the North Side, we live near Indian Trail elementary school. The area is nice, low crime and there are a number of kids around. I am not sure if this is a cool place to live, its not close to downtown. But, it is very family friendly with nice homes.

There is an area near Woodridge elementary school that a lot of kids go to on Halloween to trick-or-treat. A couple of houses convert their garages into little haunted houses, lots of fun. It looks just like the scene in E.T. when the street is covered with kids in costumes. My sister lives in that neighborhood so we go there for halloween.

The schools are good and nice. Indian Trail is an older structure but so far we have no complaints.

Woodridge is a more upscale school. Lots of working parents (not easy to afford housing over there) and the school is popular. Typical keeping up with the jones's-my kid is smarter than yours attitude, most stay at home Mothers drive white SUV's The only drawback at the school is that it is very clique-ish and a lot of the kids are mean. The teachers and administrators can not deal with any kids that are not clean cut and get along well. So, if your kids have any kinds of special needs you will need to look elsewhere.

We really love Spokane-Bloomsday, Hoopfest, Pig-out in the Park, great outdoors, lots of good skiing.

Its not cool or hip like Seattle.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,300 times
I personally love the Colbert area and we still have not sold our home. It is 3400 square foot ranch with a finished basement on a deadend road with only 20-houses. I miss Spokane!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,446 times
Raelyn - what's the address of your house? You can send me a PM - but I have some clients who are looking for a Mead SD rancher on a culdesac. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2009, 03:44 PM

13 posts, read 39,850 times
Lightbulb Homes in Spokane Area

Favorite Areas in Spokane:

Spokane Valley - From MISSION to 32nd Area from: Sullivan Rd. University Rd. Bowdish Rd. Pines Rd. Evergreen Rd.

Spokane Area - Liberty Lake and Couer D'Alene are small and cozy resort cities, and relatively new and range in price. I like Liberty Lake and Post Falls area, but not all places in the Otis Orchards area - Some houses are nice, but too secluded and in need of work.

Venture into northern Idaho (only 20-30mins from Spokane) and check out: Post Falls and Coeur D'Alene - some taxes are cheaper in Idaho. But pay is better is Washington.

Good Luck!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:59 PM

7 posts, read 31,997 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback from all of you! We are waiting on our house to sell here in MT...and then we'll see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area