U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-07-2009, 05:55 AM

181 posts, read 235,834 times
Question Boise vs. Spokane vs Idaho Falls/Pocatello?

Trying to get out of Florida to a better place. Fearing Idaho State Income Tax. Would it be worse in Spokane than Idaho if they were to get Income taxed? I think sales taxes in Washington is worse yes? Thoughts? Thanx in advance.jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM

438 posts, read 1,128,247 times
There's been discussions about this on the other threads of Boise vs. Spokane and Spokane vs. Boise. I think the general concensious (sp?) is that it evens itself out in pros and cons, and the kind of quality of life that you want.

Boise vs. Spokane
http://www.city-data.com/forum/spoka...-vs-boise.html

:~) D

Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM

12 posts, read 33,564 times
Taxes don't matter. Washington has a higher sales tax; Idaho combines sales and income taxes. Both tax property at middling rates. Overall, Washingtonians make better money and pay slightly higher taxes, although the state places in the middle of the tax scale.

Your tax obsession makes you sound pretty conservative. Idaho Falls is by far the more conservative place to be, if that's what you're after. Both Spokane and Boise lean just a little left, but only just.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 PM

14 posts, read 43,237 times
I live in Asotin, Washington..but work in both Washington and Idaho. Property taxes on the Washington side are a bit less, and of course there is no income tax on this side of the river either. As for shopping..groceries are not taxed in Wa, but yes the non food items are taxed and are higher than in Idaho..some people buy food on this side and buy non foods on the other..kind of a bonus for living in a border town. Of course we have a super Wal Mart here on the Washington side and I've decided it is still cheaper to buy everything there and pay the higher tax on general merchendise. There are pro's and cons for each, but if you are not a hunter, and getting close to retirement I would go with a Washington city.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 AM

67 posts, read 154,823 times
Asking about taxes is a very personal matter because everyone’s income is different, and they way we make our money is different. Taxes was a major concern when we decided to abandon California 5 years ago so I looked into this area with great detail.To generalize it I would say that anyone who is making 20-25K a year or more in payroll earnings and state taxable earnings will come out ahead in WA. Those under this figure will probably be better in ID. The more money you make in state taxable earnings the better off you will be in WA. Makes lots of money than WA will be much much better than ID.However there is one caveat, business taxes are oppressive in WA, that’s where they get their income from so if you own a business it would be much better to have that in ID.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,058,730 times
I keep my eye on the Washington forum for the tax angle too. If you don't buy much (or can find most of what interests you at garage sales) then a sales taxe is not that big an issue. The personal income tax is harder one to dodge.

I especially hate paying income tax on interest and dividends! After you've worked and made the effort to restrain onesself and save, it's an especially pernicious thing, to tax the returns of your labor.

Charlotte is not a bad place to work, and home prices are reasonable... but I don't expect to stay here in retirement, and allow the state to continue gouging my savings.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 PM

8 posts, read 13,853 times
Spokane is so much prettier than Boise. Boise may be cleaner and safer though.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 AM

765 posts, read 1,219,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraonthefly View Post
Spokane is so much prettier than Boise. Boise may be cleaner and safer though.
I think Boise is a lot prettier than Spokane. That doesn't mean that Spokane is not beautiful though, it is all just personal preference.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 AM

438 posts, read 1,128,247 times
Over the past couple of years we thought we were transferring to Spokane, then to Boise, and now Spokane again. So, I've researched and we've driven extensively around both. We actually really like both. We were mostly out in the suburbs and most of the neighborhoods seemed clean and well kept. I think we could have been happy in either. The houses in Boise are a lot cheaper though. One of my favorites, in NW Meridian just dropped in price for the 3rd time. It's $175K now(brick rambler, 2800sf, 4 bed, 3 bth). I reckon that same house would be at least $225K in Spokane if it were in South Valley. It would probably be $325K here in Everett. I think I need to stop looking at the Boise listings--it's really depressing me, especially since our house keeps falling in price while the ones in Spokane have seemed to level off. :~( D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area