U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:55 PM

64 posts, read 155,580 times

Advertisements

Not only are their 3 decent sized schools in the county (Gonzaga, Whitworth and Eastern, but there is also a huge public University (WSU) less than 100 miles away. All 4 schools funnel teachers into Spokane. Job openings do have hundreds of applications and with the way things are right now, money wise, a lot of these jobs are going to entry level teachers that will be around a long time and *ahem* are more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 10:04 PM

36 posts, read 74,210 times
I want to reiterate what others have said in that Spokane is a wonderful place to live for families, but finding a teacher position is really going to be difficult. I know so many people that have given up the job search after subbing for 5 years with no luck. These are people that would make wonderful educators.

I, myself, am a teacher pursuing my masters and am looking very heavily into other areas to move. All of my master teachers have come from the east coast or other areas and all have said that Spokane is unlike any area they have every tried to get a job in. The school districts are wonderful for families with kids, but the job market for teachers is really atrocious.

I hope I wasn't too forceful, but I wanted to make sure you understand that this is the largest city between Seattle and Minnesota, and so many teacher candidates come to apply that I have heard there are roughly 2,000 applicants for each position.

It is a tremendous place to live, however.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:50 PM

2,351 posts, read 3,301,394 times
To be fair Salt Lake City, Denver and San Francisco are much closer to Spokane then Minneapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinersfan View Post
I wanted to make sure you understand that this is the largest city between Seattle and Minnesota, and so many teacher candidates come to apply that I have heard there are roughly 2,000 applicants for each position.

It is a tremendous place to live, however.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 PM

23 posts, read 35,402 times
Jobs in general are great however, as people have mentioned-- with three universities offering teaching programs, we have a lot of teachers. If you have special qualifications, like special ed- different story those are needed. The electrician would be fine, while building has slowed, it hasn't stopped (although it seems to go into hibernation every winter). For teaching you may have to look at getting part time/ sub until a full time opens up.

School wise, the Spokane area is wonderful (the upside to all the teachers, we only keep the good ones). I live in Cheney and they are getting ready to add more schools to keep up with demand (it's one of the top districts in the state) but all the districts are really good.

Huntin and outdoors stuff. Yeah, deer season around here might as well be a holiday. There is a coyote hunting contest in Lincoln.... so yeah, people hunt and fish and there are tons of outdoors activites and summers/ falls are mild enough to enjoy them. Even for winter there is snow, snowmobiling and skiing all close by.

There are lots of sports options for kids both in the schools and through other assorted programs.

Its a great place to raise kids.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 PM

67 posts, read 128,218 times
I've lived in Spokane for three years now and though it took me a year to adjust and stop bashing the place (sticking it out that first year makes a big difference), I think you'll really like it here. I feel very safe here and the parks and recreation program is fantastic for kids (we love the programs at the Corbin Arts Center). We live on the South Hill and have gotten a lot of enjoyment from Manito and Cannon Hill Parks. It can be daunting at first to make friends but once you make the effort, people here are very nice (I find people here to be reserved at first, but that's okay, because so am I). In my experience, Spokanites are very civil and polite -- I know that I'm in the minority here politically (I'm uber-liberal), but no one throws it in my face or makes me feel uncomfortable (granted, the mantra in my family growing up was -- "don't talk religion or politics," so I don't tend to bombard others with my views, either).

Aesthetically, Washington is unbelievable. Like a previous poster said, you've got prairies, mountain ranges, coastline and even a temperate rainforest, not to mention the proximity to B.C. I came here from New England and I can really appreciate the lack of humidity and bugs -- it is so nice to spend time outdoors without being steeped in Off! Good luck with your move!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,556,070 times
Hmmm.... with hundreds of applicants per teaching slot, I would expect Spokane to have one of the best school systems in the nation. The teachers must be the best of the best? Do the school ratings reflect this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area