Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,179,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
My guess is that the restaurants in San Fran were a bit better than the one in your small town of 300 and might even be better than Spokane's.
Do SF's many fine restaurants figure in the social life of most teenagers? I'm guessing that they meant other things in saying that SF was boring to them (rightly or wrongly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,108 times
Yeledaf, I'll work around the perhaps...uninvited company. By chance however do you have any specific rooftops worthy of climbing onto? You see, I am new-ish to Spokane... and can tell you the best rooftops in Cd'A as well as little ole Wallace, but here... I am perplexed.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.JaneDoe View Post
Yeledaf, I'll work around the perhaps...uninvited company. By chance however do you have any specific rooftops worthy of climbing onto? You see, I am new-ish to Spokane... and can tell you the best rooftops in Cd'A as well as little ole Wallace, but here... I am perplexed.
Okay, Doc. I'll share one with you. But don't tell anyone, okay?

(sotto voce) It's the roof of the old Monac Museum on the western end of the Gonzaga University campus, overlooking the river. When you come to Spokane, you'll see it when you cross the Division Street bridge, just to your left on the north bank of the river. It looks like a teepee with the top cut off.

Now here's the hard part. You'll have to find someone at GU to let you into the building so that you can access the roof. It's do-able, but might take some time. Hidden among the stuffed shirts and self-important fuddy-duddys at Gonzaga are some nice folks.

That roof is all time champion place to watch the Fourth of JUly fireworks at Riverfront Park. And it's big enough to permit multiple chaise longues, umbrella, picninc tables, etc. It's a sort of sky beach, if you get my drift.

Good luck.

P.S. Great for star-gazing, as well, of course....

Old 10-20-2011, 05:30 PM

12 posts, read 37,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Have not read all the posts, but Spokane is neither boring or exciting. It is entirely based on your experience and expections. If you move from Walla Walla, or Lewiston, or even Yakima, then Spokane will offer many more options than you are used to. Take some time to understand the opportunities, and you will be surprised. If you come from a bigger metro, then do the same thing....and understand that most entertainment will cost less, be closer, and the quality will be similar. Enjoy Spokane, for what it's worth.

You stated this perfectly!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:10 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1212 View Post
You stated this perfectly!
Thanks for that. I'm actually quite neutral on Spokane. When I have visited over the years I have been completely fascinated as how this city continues to evolve, or not evolve. I say that because it is true the downtown has shown little change the past thirty years. The Worlds Fair in '74 was so exciting, and the hopes for continued progress was great. However, it only happened on a small scale. (True, the legacy of Riverfront Park is real and positive). But overall, a look at the skyline of Spokane in 1981 and today is mostly unchanged. This is not good.

However, the metro continues to grow, and I-90 has been expanding to the east of the city for several years and the north-south corridor is slowly coming to fruitian. Slowly. As in the connection with I-90 still seems years away.

As a true Washington native, I root for all our cities. Spokane may need some extra push, some extra something, not sure what that will be, to become a true growth "star" in the west. Political leadership is part of it, but so is an idea that residents accept growth as a positive, not only for their city, but for themselves. Anything less will keep Spokane where it is.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:01 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Anything less will keep Spokane where it is.
And that's fine with me. If it takes me 20 years to get back there, I'd like at least some of it to be the same.

Some places are just fine they way they are IMO. The last thing I'd want for Spokane was for it to be "discovered". If Spokane gets infiltrated with growth like say Denver, it won't be a good thing IMO.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:32 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
And that's fine with me. If it takes me 20 years to get back there, I'd like at least some of it to be the same.

Some places are just fine they way they are IMO. The last thing I'd want for Spokane was for it to be "discovered". If Spokane gets infiltrated with growth like say Denver, it won't be a good thing IMO.
Bingo. People forget how uncontrolled growth can be synonymous with metastasis.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,134,540 times
Phillies announcer and former reliever, Larry Andersen surprisingly made some negative comments about Spokane earlier this summer. I was quite surprised to hear the exchange between Scott Franzke and LA sometime in June. A new pitcher for the opposing team was from Spokane. Franzke asked LA a Washington state native about Spokane and he responded that there wasn't much there. The two of them continued for another minute or two cackling and laughing about Spokane. It was very shocking to hear this unprofessional banter on the radio.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:50 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Phillies announcer and former reliever, Larry Andersen surprisingly made some negative comments about Spokane earlier this summer. I was quite surprised to hear the exchange between Scott Franzke and LA sometime in June. A new pitcher for the opposing team was from Spokane. Franzke asked LA a Washington state native about Spokane and he responded that there wasn't much there. The two of them continued for another minute or two cackling and laughing about Spokane. It was very shocking to hear this unprofessional banter on the radio.
Yeah, but most of their listenership probably has never even heard of Spokane, let alone know anything about it.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,108 times
YellowSnowMaker, where is this roof may i ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area