Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,801,213 times

Advertisements

I am really craving a nice dish of potato Paprika, and it's just not the same without the csabai

Only place I found so far is online and in Ca. (if I have to I have to lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 AM

438 posts, read 1,790,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I am really craving a nice dish of potato Paprika, and it's just not the same without the csabai

Only place I found so far is online and in Ca. (if I have to I have to lol)
Yum! Send us the recipe. :~) D
(Everett via Adelaide, SA, headed toward Spokane )

Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,893,420 times
There's a Russian deli/market called Kiev on Nevada St. that might carry something similar. I'd like to know what the recipe is, too!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 AM

I looked and didn't see what I was after - hungarian csabai is a peppered salami type sausage and already has some paprika in it.

I don't have an 'exact' recipe for it - I basically slice up 2 sticks of csabai (approx a pound I guess) into slices say 1/2 " thick. Lightly fry them in some oil under slightly browned - then throw in a couple of sliced onions and some minced garlic and keep frying until they are clear (more sauteeing than frying I guess). Then add a couple of red peppers (capsisum). I usually halve the peppers then slice them thinly.
Drain and add to 1 -2 cups water and a couple of spoonfuls of paprika (I love paprika so usually a couple of tblespoons) in a large pan or stockpot - then add as much diced potato as you'd like (I usually make about 6 spuds per 2 sticks of csabai)and salt to taste - make the chunks of potato at least an inch.

Once it comes to a boil, turn right down and simmer uncovered until the potatoes are soft and the liquid starts to thicken. How thick you like the "broth" and how much you like the potatoes to disintegrate and thicken it is a personal choice.

It's pretty much a "by the seat of your pants recipe" LOL. I have also made it with diced (precooked first) chicken breasts in place of csabai and it's quite nice that way too, but the spiciness of the csabai is what I love for this recipe.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM

438 posts, read 1,790,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I looked and didn't see what I was after - hungarian csabai is a peppered salami type sausage and already has some paprika in it.

I don't have an 'exact' recipe for it - I basically slice up 2 sticks of csabai (approx a pound I guess) into slices say 1/2 " thick. Lightly fry them in some oil under slightly browned - then throw in a couple of sliced onions and some minced garlic and keep frying until they are clear (more sauteeing than frying I guess). Then add a couple of red peppers (capsisum). I usually halve the peppers then slice them thinly.
Drain and add to 1 -2 cups water and a couple of spoonfuls of paprika (I love paprika so usually a couple of tblespoons) in a large pan or stockpot - then add as much diced potato as you'd like (I usually make about 6 spuds per 2 sticks of csabai)and salt to taste - make the chunks of potato at least an inch.

Once it comes to a boil, turn right down and simmer uncovered until the potatoes are soft and the liquid starts to thicken. How thick you like the "broth" and how much you like the potatoes to disintegrate and thicken it is a personal choice.

It's pretty much a "by the seat of your pants recipe" LOL. I have also made it with diced (precooked first) chicken breasts in place of csabai and it's quite nice that way too, but the spiciness of the csabai is what I love for this recipe.
I'll have to give that a go. It sounds lovely. Too bad you can't find the sausage locally. I suppose if I substitute with kilbasa or something, I'll never know what I'm missing. I wonder if our local Ukeranian(sp?) market would have some. Hmmm...
That's how I cook, too! I have a sister-in-law who always has to go by a recipe. She's given up asking me for them because for the most part it's just "some of this and some of that!" I, on the other hand, marvel that she needs recipes for things like chicken noodle soup or garlic mashed potatoes! :~) D

Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 PM

I've actually made it with other sausages - pepperoni etc and it hasn't been too bad - but it just doesn't have that "taste" that it has with the real csabai. Looks like I'll have to just bite the bullet and order it online from Ca LOL

Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 PM

108 posts, read 360,555 times
This thread is making me hungary.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Well, I bit the bullet and just ordered some online - the price was decent for 2lbs - but the added shipping sucked LOL

Can't wait to get it and make me some Potato Paprika

Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM

17,112 posts, read 56,720,019 times
Do try out "Kiev" over on Nevada street, they are quite good. I don't know if they would have this particular type of kolbasa, but might. Or might could order it.

Or try German Deli online, they specialize more in German foods but might have what you want.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
Default hungarian sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
I'll have to give that a go. It sounds lovely. Too bad you can't find the sausage locally. I suppose if I substitute with kilbasa or something, I'll never know what I'm missing. I wonder if our local Ukeranian(sp?) market would have some. Hmmm...
That's how I cook, too! I have a sister-in-law who always has to go by a recipe. She's given up asking me for them because for the most part it's just "some of this and some of that!" I, on the other hand, marvel that she needs recipes for things like chicken noodle soup or garlic mashed potatoes! :~) D

Try Amazon.com---Otto's and others sell it there--great stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area