Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 36,997 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving to Spokane from Texas this summer. My husband and I drive your standard SUVs (mid-sized, nothing cosmic, both have all-wheel-drive). Neither of us have ever lived in the PNW and were wondering if having a truck (thinking along the lines of a Chevy Avalanche) would be a good thing to have in that area. We have one child, planning on another, and two large dogs that are convinced they are human and should be treated as such. Do most people have trucks? They are hugely popular here in TX, but not for practical reasons such as weather. Are the winters (snow and/or ice) challenging on "wimpier" cars such as the Lexus or BMW SUVs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 PM

64 posts, read 233,138 times
There are plenty of poeple up here that have 2WD vehicles. There are also a ton of people have have SUV's and trucks of all sizes as well. Spokane does a pretty good job of keeping the roads drivable in the winter. Studs, winter tires are commonly put on in the winter. Very rarely are chains needed (mainly those with 2WD).

You won't have any problem getting around in any 4WD vehicle and you won't stand out at all is you have a pickup.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the move!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
[quote=Rainier2012;12623732]We're considering moving to Spokane from Texas this summer. My husband and I drive your standard SUVs (mid-sized, nothing cosmic, both have all-wheel-drive). Neither of us have ever lived in the PNW and were wondering if having a truck (thinking along the lines of a Chevy Avalanche) would be a good thing to have in that area. We have one child, planning on another, and two large dogs that are convinced they are human and should be treated as such. Do most people have trucks? They are hugely popular here in TX, but not for practical reasons such as weather. Are the winters (snow and/or ice) challenging on "wimpier" cars such as the Lexus or BMW SUVs?[/quote]

I am not sure that a Chevy Avalanche is a real truck. Most people have real trucks in Spokane. You might want to consider a truck since so much of living in Spokane is outdoors oriented. We have always had one truck and one car for that reason.

Hmm, the Lexus and BMW is more of a problem. The Spokesman-Review at one time noted that per capita Spokane had more Mercedes than other cities. However, people were so embarrased by their ownership of a expensive car that they kept them in a garage so their neighbors would not know.

Those two SUV are fine in the snow. Our neighbors are urban transplants and drive a BMW SUV. It is not a good as our Honda Pilot, but will work in Spokane. I would, however, get studded snow tires for winter driving. The problem in the Spokane/ Coeur d'Alene area is not generally snow, but black ice. No matter what anybody tells you, studs are the only way to deal with ice.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM

107 posts, read 337,635 times
The vehicles you have will work just fine. There are many like those around this area. Four wheel drive makes it nice in the winter. Keeps the anxiety down as far as getting around. Note: four wheel drive will not help you stop any faster on the ice. I would think studded tires would help but I have never owned a set. There are alot of trucks in the area. I think it is just because of the hobbies/work that is done here. Dump runs, Home Depot, snowmobiling, lake trips, same as anywhere else I guess.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM

93 posts, read 329,965 times
Your vehicles will be fine. Don't get studded snow tires. Regular snow tires are fine. AWD/4WD are beneficial if it snows significantly and you HAVE to go out. This winter was mild. Made it just fine in my camry w/ snow tires. A work colleague made it just fine to work every morning in a Honda minivan with snow tires even w/ the 5ft of snow dumped last year.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 AM

23 posts, read 60,541 times
Seriosly, you don't need anything too hardcore. I think the basic- moved to the Pac. NW vehicle is the Subaru but they keep the roads very clear up here so many families may have something with 4wd and then a sedan or something.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 AM

94 posts, read 245,249 times
I never worry too much about myself it's the other people that don't know how to drive on slick roads. 4x4 goes a lot better but it does not stop any better than a 2 wheel drive. I cross the Cascade mountains to the coast once a week all winter long. The number one vehicle I see off the road in the ditch is the Subaru 4x4. That's because people watch too many TV commercials but still don't know how to drive. I have been in this area since 1970 and those people that say Spokane does a great job on the streets have not been here on those years when the city plows the streets about once and then says they don't have any more money to plow. In those cases a rig with more ground clearing and larger tires is the best bet. I have seen snow ruts 10" deep on Spokane streets. Small tires get stuck in the ruts and you can't get out of them. Soon studded tires will be illegal so you can pretty much forget about them.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 PM

70 posts, read 190,945 times
I think you can pretty much drive any car you want in Spokane and you'll be OK. You do have to consider that some vehicles are more challenging to operate and maintain in the winter, but that shouldn't really be a problem if you A) know how to drive your vehicle and B) know how to maintain your vehicle.

I always felt better getting studded tires in winter, but there were more than one season where I "never got around to it" or has some other excuse. As far as snow/ice, once the conditions get to a certain point it doesn't matter what kind of car you have.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM

66 posts, read 185,577 times
We drive a small Hyundai Elantra with snow tires in the winter and have been in less accidents than those we know with SUVs. They didn't take very good care of the roads here the first two winters we lived here (but I'm told those were abnormal winters) but this winter has been fantastic and we really didn't need the snow tires at all. I think it's more about driving sensibly.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 AM

23 posts, read 60,541 times
That's true- the best thing to do is learn how to handle the snow in whatever vehicle you want. For years I had a VW jetta, I loved it and it did phenomenal in the snow at the same time at the same time many people were sliding their 4wd SUV's off the road. The big difference was that I have been driving in snow, had a vehicle I could handle well and didn't assume 4wd would save me. Whatever you decide to do, take the time to take it out during some inclement weeather to a parking lot or whatever and practice. For me, I'd rather have a lexus versus an avalanche any day-- but I know how to handle a lexus better then the chevy.

The other thing is where are you in Spokane, certain areas get far more snow then others. We, up on the west plains can get a lot while our friends out in the valley are still getting rain. They are usually plowed out first as well being closer in. That can make a difference too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area