Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times

Advertisements

Interesting. Spokane has always been kind of the "butt" of jokes...like when the world ends, Spokane will exist for another ten years just to catch up. Or, when "bell-bottoms" went out of fashion, they became the newest trend in Spokane.

But, beyond all that, it is a scenic area with weather that isn't as bad as many make it out to be. (More sunshine than Seattle, and more snow!).

The area is growing. Traffic is bad on Division, but eventually a new N/S freeway will be built. (Hopefully in our lifetimes).

Downtown has been stagnant and essntially remains unchanged since the World's Fair of '74.

Pluses: affordable, nice weather from April through October, friendly, close to nature.

Negatives: isolated, cold and dreary in winter, some intolerance.

Every area has its good and bad. There are far worse mid-size metro areas in the US than Spokane, Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 11:15 PM

24 posts, read 112,495 times
orygun..i am a single mom of 3 and want to move from the south to the to the northwest. I thought spokane would be nice for the kids...with the parks and everything. You dont think?

Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 PM

174 posts, read 940,438 times
Default For Single mom

Hello to single mom, I have been one too. It really depends on your situation. I hear that this area has a lot of help for single moms, I haven't really seen that yet. There are a lot of parks and there seem to be a lot of family oriented activities here. Personally, I want to move back to Missoula, MT. It was also ranked as a kid-friendly area in some study that was done. My impression of this place is it is hard to make a go of it if you aren't from here. My ex is scrutinized right and left and still hasn't found stable work. He said the employers always comment on his being from Illinois and having lived in both Oregon and Montana like it is a criminal offense. As a nurse, it has taken longer than it should to find work here. I think the undesirable element here is something to consider when raising a family here. There are tons of decent and friendly people but for us we really prefer a more rural life like we had in Montana. I would like to know if someone else in this area knows something about Spokanites being against newcomers?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 52,685 times
To what pw72 said, I somewhat disagree about downtown being stagnant; at least within the last 5 years. There are some things going on down there and some renovations that are revitalizing it significantly. I'm even thinking of checking out some of the condo developments down there.

They are clearing land and are making strides on the NSC (freeway). Lots of bridges are being built or are already complete. Rumor has it from developers I've talked to that it may even be drivable from Deer Park to Francis by mid- to end of 2008, then in 2010-2012 possibly all the way to I-90. It all depends on funding. When you check their website they are all doom and gloom and tell you another 20 years with current funding, so as to keep up pressure on the state that Spokane needs that funding. But if you look at the development activity going on you can see the momentum is strong.

Which brings me to a huge problem with Spokane and the general area; that is state-involvement and funding. When people think of Washington, they think of Seattle, including the state legislature. As a result, we get a very small funding-to-need ratio compared to Seattle. And the funding we do get is many times too little, too late.

The only other thing would be the political strife that flares up and seems way out of proportion for a city this size. Spokane seems to have too many big-city scandals and such that stifle it's small ecosystem. A city this size should be much more more simple to run and easy to keep a handle on. Some say the family that has owned much of Spokane since the early 1900s is to blame, then others say it's the liberal Californian influence that is to blame.

As for the weather and such, you can usually expect May to October to be very temperate. November to December is usually cold, but can be sunny on many days. January to March is the dreary period, with gray skies that can last for a few days punctuated by a flare of sun once in a while. The best thing about Spokane weather is the four seasons. But even during those seasons, day-to-day surprises can happen that do much to accent the daily toil. Thunderstorms move in fast during the summer and can make a dull day suddenly exciting... and sudden, 60-70 degree days can appear out of nowhere in February.

Finding a job seems to be the biggest complaint. You can't throw a rock without hitting a blue-collar job opportunity, so if that's what you are looking for I don't think you will have a problem. We currently have a shortage of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and really any other type of engineer. The local businesses seem to trade them off to each other, but all of them are short the talent they need. Food and retail industry is pretty strong it seems, so there may be lots of room there. Not many computer-related jobs here. That seems to be resurging, however.

As for the crime: I would feel safe walking almost anywhere in Spokane, even at night. The places to avoid, in my opinion: East Sprague vicinity until Spokane Valley, West of Monroe and South of Garland until downtown (Felony Flats), Hillyard, and certain parts of Brown's Addition. They are cracking down hard on the meth problem; it's almost a witch hunt, where people are encouraged to call in any suspicious activity they see. But like someone already said, the problem isn't just Spokane, it's all over. I can tell you though it's not bad. I've lived in Fresno, CA. If you want to see a real meth problem, check that city out.

Overall, Spokane is a very good place to live. I was born and raised here and lived much of my life here and can't really imagine living somewhere else and being able to call it home.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeric67 View Post
To what pw72 said, I somewhat disagree about downtown being stagnant; at least within the last 5 years. There are some things going on down there and some renovations that are revitalizing it significantly. I'm even thinking of checking out some of the condo developments down there.

They are clearing land and are making strides on the NSC (freeway). Lots of bridges are being built or are already complete. Rumor has it from developers I've talked to that it may even be drivable from Deer Park to Francis by mid- to end of 2008, then in 2010-2012 possibly all the way to I-90. It all depends on funding. When you check their website they are all doom and gloom and tell you another 20 years with current funding, so as to keep up pressure on the state that Spokane needs that funding. But if you look at the development activity going on you can see the momentum is strong.

Which brings me to a huge problem with Spokane and the general area; that is state-involvement and funding. When people think of Washington, they think of Seattle, including the state legislature. As a result, we get a very small funding-to-need ratio compared to Seattle. And the funding we do get is many times too little, too late.

The only other thing would be the political strife that flares up and seems way out of proportion for a city this size. Spokane seems to have too many big-city scandals and such that stifle it's small ecosystem. A city this size should be much more more simple to run and easy to keep a handle on. Some say the family that has owned much of Spokane since the early 1900s is to blame, then others say it's the liberal Californian influence that is to blame.

As for the weather and such, you can usually expect May to October to be very temperate. November to December is usually cold, but can be sunny on many days. January to March is the dreary period, with gray skies that can last for a few days punctuated by a flare of sun once in a while. The best thing about Spokane weather is the four seasons. But even during those seasons, day-to-day surprises can happen that do much to accent the daily toil. Thunderstorms move in fast during the summer and can make a dull day suddenly exciting... and sudden, 60-70 degree days can appear out of nowhere in February.

Finding a job seems to be the biggest complaint. You can't throw a rock without hitting a blue-collar job opportunity, so if that's what you are looking for I don't think you will have a problem. We currently have a shortage of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and really any other type of engineer. The local businesses seem to trade them off to each other, but all of them are short the talent they need. Food and retail industry is pretty strong it seems, so there may be lots of room there. Not many computer-related jobs here. That seems to be resurging, however.

As for the crime: I would feel safe walking almost anywhere in Spokane, even at night. The places to avoid, in my opinion: East Sprague vicinity until Spokane Valley, West of Monroe and South of Garland until downtown (Felony Flats), Hillyard, and certain parts of Brown's Addition. They are cracking down hard on the meth problem; it's almost a witch hunt, where people are encouraged to call in any suspicious activity they see. But like someone already said, the problem isn't just Spokane, it's all over. I can tell you though it's not bad. I've lived in Fresno, CA. If you want to see a real meth problem, check that city out.

Overall, Spokane is a very good place to live. I was born and raised here and lived much of my life here and can't really imagine living somewhere else and being able to call it home.
I agree with most of what you are saying. As for Spokane's downtown being stagnent, was referring more to the skyline...it hasn't changed in 30 years. Someone needs to build a new "tallest" in the city IMHO. It would instantly be "THE" address to be in. The N/S freeway...good to see there is progress being made, and you are probably right, the website paints negatives to try and speed up funding. The Seattle/Spokane funding split IS a problem, but there must be some creative solutions to have Eastern Washington pay for its projects, and vice-versa.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 52,685 times
I see what you mean about the skyline. The drive on I-90 from the airport down Sunset Hill affords the city and private parties some very creative opportunities to impress newcomers and visitors with a bold skyline, if only someone with vision would take that opportunity.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 18,937 times
Default I'm moving to Spokane next year

I am originally from Seattle. I have visited my sister in Spokane, the last being last August. I really like it there. I have decided to leave the heat and pollution of Phoenix for Spokane. My allergies need a break. I'm really looking forward to the move. I'm starting the preparations now so it doesn't hit me all at once. Spokane is no different than any other city. It has everything that every other city has. I like that it has four seasons, not alot of rain and isn't heavily populated. I want to buy a house and I just can't afford it in Phoenix. I've been searching the real estate listings and there are a lot of homes I can afford. Income seems to be about the same. And, it doesn't hurt that my sister is there and the rest of my family are in Federal Way and Olympia.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:24 PM

12 posts, read 71,391 times
I just had to join this forum to set a few things straight concerning living in the Spokane area. I have lived here all of my life, nearly 50 years. My girlfriend has lived in many areas in the US, from the east coast to the west coast, so between the two of us we can present a very good perspective of life here.

First off, do not move to Spokane for it's "city life", that is in no way what this area is about. It's more about the outlying areas around Spokane, particularly the area in the Spokane Valley all the way to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, north of Spokane, the Mead/Mt Spokane area, etc, these represent some of the finest rural areas anywhere. I can say that the winters here have changed since I was young, call it global warming if you like, here in the valleys we only get about an inch of snow each winter compared to the 8 to 10 inches I remember as a child. Temperatures are also warmer during the winter. So unlike other parts of the country global warming seems to working in our favor here. I laugh when I talk to folks moving here from places like Texas (flooding), Florida (hurricanes), the Mid-West (tornadoes), Arizona (superhigh temps for weeks on end), California (earthquakes), etc., when they ask "but don't you guys get alot of snow there?" :-) LOL Give me a break!

If you are looking for, or need, the city life, do not move here. If you like outdoor activities, motorcycling, hiking, skiing, fishing, bicycling etc., and want all of this in close proximity to where you live then this is the place for you. If you want high population density, traffic jams, and high crime then either stay where you are or move to the other side of the Cascades (Seattle)! :-) And what is meant by "a lack of diversity"? If you mean illegal immigrants pouring over the border like southern Cal, then I guess you're right, we don't have alot of diversity here. :-)

This is a very inexpensive place to live, especially if you are on a fixed income, like retired/military retired. I know of people who have retired here from Calif that had lived in a one bedroom, one bath home that, upon arriving here, purchased a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home on acreage for the same amount! And besides, not taxing everything in sight, we enjoy no state income tax here.

In my opinion the best place to live here is as close to the north Idaho border as possible to be able to take advantage of the Tahoe-like Coeur d'Alene lake area but still be close enough to be able to commute to Spokane in around 20 minutes on I-90 to maybe work, shop, etc. Idaho is a bit more expensive to live in, they do have state income tax and housing prices are really rising there fast.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:43 AM

12 posts, read 110,565 times
Hi,
I am new here. I joined here to share my living experience in spokane. I lived in spokane for years. I live by Seattle now. I can tell you , yes spokane can be clickish. But on the other hand someone always knows someone who knows the first someone. In other words for as big as spokane is.. It is small world we live in. The places not to live there would be around the court house, called the twilight zone, dogtown/hillyard,and lower south side. Then there is brown edition getting bad sence the drug rehab went in. Nursing jobs plenty if you are willing to start at the hours they need.
But I see no one has mentioned medical lake or cheney here. Excellent schools in medical lake and cheney. State hires people out at the institutions. (nurses) They will even hired people with tatoos there. Both are good places to live. Spokane does has one good thing there that no other town has across the usa that is the type of ywca they have. No other ywca has the programs that the one in spokane does. Shriner hospital very big plus! Downtown has really changed through the years, Riverfront park where expo 74 was still has a lot of activity. Hmm... the other day I was telling someone I am sick of the rain and miss the snow. Did not think I would ever say that. lol Spokane has a St. patricks parade, lilac tourchlight... Christmas candy cane lanes. There is available resources all over the place there that help single parents. They also have a gleanning groups to where they share caregiving while the others pick and can, the produce. People in spokane do try to help one another. Had a flat here where I live now, had to walk for 2 miles in the rain for help. Even the police did not stop. In spokane someone will at least ask if you need help. I do recall a policeman helping my mother change her flat there on the freeway by deaconess hospital. I hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:02 AM

33 posts, read 182,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbytes View Post
Population increases always bring challenges. But the bottom line is that most California refugees are NOT carpetbaggers. They are predominantly families and retirees who simply want a better life for themselves and their children and want to CONTRIBUTE something positive to their new communities. Because of our rich and varied experiences, there are opportunities to help our new neighbors combat the problems of poor planning with regard to growth/sprawl, transportation infrastructure issues and much, much more. We're not looking to recreate the same problems that we are fleeing (though that can invariably happen at times with rapid influx). Some of us will bring new businesses and jobs, gentrify and upgrade properties, open interesting new restaurants, bring fresh viewpoints and ideas that just MIGHT add to your culture and quality of life.
Well Kootenai county used to be majority democratic till all the out of staters came in, so I must say that the newcomers have certainly changed thinking here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area