Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 37,012 times

Advertisements

What do most people have in the PNW; cable or satellite TV (Direct, Dish network, etc)? It rains a lot where we live now and whenever it does, DirecTV loses it's signal. And I'm not just talking about the serious thunderstorms, I'm talking your average, every-day rain storm. Seeing as how we don't get nearly as much rain (and snow for that matter) as Spokane, I was wondering if it would be better to go with cable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 03:07 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,665 times
It depends on what's available in the area you live -- cable is most prevalent in the city limits and some outlying areas where they've made it available, but other areas are too rural and you're dependent on a satellite dish. We've had DirecTV for 10+ years with not too many outages. The rain doesn't seem to affect it as much as a build up of snow, then we have to get out a broom and try to clear the dish. Many people like Comcast cable here because they also provide internet service.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 AM

30 posts, read 62,436 times
I had Comcast for both internet, phone and TV. They decided to rip us off on the TV aspect, so when we moved last month to a house, we got Dish Network for TV and stayed with Comcast for Internet and Phone. Great choice because Dish has way more HD channels than Comcast, but the drawback is they don't have the OnDemand options like Comcast.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:43 PM

94 posts, read 245,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester23 View Post
I had Comcast for both internet, phone and TV. They decided to rip us off on the TV aspect, so when we moved last month to a house, we got Dish Network for TV and stayed with Comcast for Internet and Phone. Great choice because Dish has way more HD channels than Comcast, but the drawback is they don't have the OnDemand options like Comcast.
I don't know what options Comcast has but dish network has dish on demand.

I am near Newport WA and we have Dish Network. I agree with the other person that it's only snow piling up on the dish that will knock it out. Broom it out and it's all good. I have never had direct TV but I do know our state attorney general is filing charges against them for ripping people off. One issue was they offered a laptop for new subscribers. But nobody ever got it. A few year back they offered $100 for new subscribers but again most never got the money. There are too many bad stories about Direct TV for me to ever use them.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 PM

15 posts, read 45,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Larry View Post
I don't know what options Comcast has but dish network has dish on demand.

I am near Newport WA and we have Dish Network. I agree with the other person that it's only snow piling up on the dish that will knock it out. Broom it out and it's all good. I have never had direct TV but I do know our state attorney general is filing charges against them for ripping people off. One issue was they offered a laptop for new subscribers. But nobody ever got it. A few year back they offered $100 for new subscribers but again most never got the money. There are too many bad stories about Direct TV for me to ever use them.

I was looking through the whole city-data forum for someone talking about the whole "satelite vs cable" thing. When I read what I bolded in your post, I laughed out loud, because it *almost* happened to me.

I signed up with Directv and then they told me to get the $100 gift card that I would have to keep automatic bill pay on my credit card for 4 months. So once I reached my 5th month and still hadnt recieved my gift card I gave them a call to which they said "Well, now you reached the starting point, and from here if you go 6 more months you will get your card". I told the guy I needed to speak to a manager (I could tell someone was standing over his shoulder...probably a manager) He put me on hold. Clicked back over and told me that my card would be in the mail.

Sure enough I got my $100 gift card about 3 days later. But man, what a hassle. But other than that whole thing Directv has been pretty good to us.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 PM

30 posts, read 139,377 times
I've had directv almost since they first started (our cable company really sucks so I changed to satellite as soon as it was available), and haven't looked back since. They've given me sweet deals on new equipment upgrades over the years but probably because I wait until each contract expires. As we speak I got their latest HiDef DVR along with the upgraded dish for $100, and of course another 2 yr contract.

As for rain fade, I've always seen it as an 'early warning system' for bad weather. Mine's never been down for more than a minute, with most only about 20 seconds or so. I have an HD outside antenna so with a 1 button push on my programmable remote my TV switches to the over-the-air 24 hr local weather radar so I can see how bad the storm looks.

They have a service now where you can watch the latest movies some 2 weeks before they come out on dvd. Last night I watched Source Code for $5.99. There's a 'premier' service for $29 for movies months before Netflix and Blockbuster get them.

New subscribers always get the best offers, but I didn't do too bad paying only $100 for my HD dvr. It's a wonderful gadget that has spoiled me rotten. Even if you are not recording you can still go back about an hour on whatever channel it's currently on, as long as you don't switch channels.

You can bargain with them up to a point. Just let them think you are trying to decide between them and Dish and you might get some extra stuff for free. Maybe call a few times first before commiting. You can read some satellite forums where some people got great deals and others just so so.

One more handy feature is that if you have broadband you simply plug it in to the receiver and either go online or use the remote to download available movies, free or otherwise, and watch them later at your convienience. Having all the movie channels I've seen all the free movies, but it's handy for video on demand for watching at a later time. You don't get charged for downloading, but only when you are ready to see it by ordering.

Last edited by St8kout; 07-10-2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM

9 posts, read 25,364 times
I have had Direct TV since 1999 and according to guests who come over to watch it, it is much clearer than Comcast. The only bad thing is wiping the dish off in the winter with snow. However, spraying it with Pam helps alot as long as you remember to do it before it starts snowing. In comparing prices, which I did earlier this year when there was a dispute with the Fox network, Comcast could not compare to what I have with Direct Tv.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:04 PM

649 posts, read 1,768,746 times
having just gotten ripped off by direct tv after being a faithful customer i can't recommend them; i think i'll just stop supporting the rip off companies and link up my hdtv to a laptop and go on-line all the way and save about a hundred bucks a month; only have to pay for internet and get my tv on line via hulu and maybe netflix online as well. only expense is getting a low cost laptop to act as my "server" and i'm set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: