Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:50 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times

Advertisements

With the start tomorrow in Rotterdam, it's time to make predictions for the podium.

I think it is without a doubt Alberto Contador's Tour to lose. He is the heavy favorite and the route seems to favor his strengths (mountains and increasingly time trialing) and lessens his weaknesses (no team time trial). His Astana team has overperformed this year and looks to protect him in the mountains with strong climbers such as Navarro, De la Fuente, Blazquez, Tiralongo as well as on the flats with Vino, Noval (Conti's good friend) and Iglinsky, and Grivko. I think Conti will test the rest of the favorites in the first stages in the Alps and drop them in the Pyrennes. He will lock it up in the time trial on the penultimate day.

1. Alberto Contador
2. Andy Schleck
3. Denis Menchov
4. Frank Schleck
5. Ivan Basso
6. Lance Armstrong
7. Samuel Sanchez
8. Janez Brajkovic
9. Cadel Evans
10. Luis Leon Sanchez

I'm sure my top 10 will be way off, but I do feel Contador will take it again this year.

Who's on your podium?

Last edited by Acuda; 07-02-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
I cant stand Contador. Never did care for him. I will be cheering for anyone but him to win.

I also am not so sure Astena is strong enough to help him win.

But I am excited and pumped and have the tv on verse already waiting for the start. I am not going to jinix anything so I cant do a list for ya sorry

Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I cant stand Contador. Never did care for him. I will be cheering for anyone but him to win.

I also am not so sure Astena is strong enough to help him win.

But I am excited and pumped and have the tv on verse already waiting for the start. I am not going to jinix anything so I cant do a list for ya sorry
Well, I'll be rooting for Contador (and Menchov...and an epic Armstrong fail), so it will be an interesting three weeks. On paper, one could argue that Astana isn't as strong as last year. However, that team was not very united last year with two leaders wanting two different styles of racing, so I don't think it will be all that much worse. We'll see I guess.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Go Lance Armstrong and Team Radioshack

Old 07-03-2010, 12:00 PM

Prologue- Man, Cancellara crushed it today! Any idiot who thinks he has a motor in his bike needs to get a clue. That man is an amazing cyclist. I can see him taking stage 3, over the cobbles.

Great ride by Armstrong. The course was ideal for Lance. Contador had a good ride as well, despite a pancake flat course. He'll be very pleased with his ride today as he put time into all of his contenders (except LA). He is very well placed to put the hammer down in the Alps (like last year).

Many of the contenders were shelled today. Basso, Wiggins, A. Schleck, Menchov all looked like garbage. But, the mountains will be a whole different story and the Tour will be decided there.

Last edited by Acuda; 07-03-2010 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-03-2010, 02:27 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Yes it seems to always be the mountains lately that really makes the race.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:30 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Prologue- Man, Cancellara crushed it today! Any idiot who thinks he has a motor in his bike needs to get a clue. That man is an amazing cyclist. I can see him taking stage 3, over the cobbles.
I heard them say during the prologue, they are scanning all the bikes.

Quote:
Great ride by Armstrong. The course was ideal for Lance. Contador had a good ride as well, despite a pancake flat course. He'll be very pleased with his ride today as he put time into all of his contenders (except LA). He is very well placed to put the hammer down in the Alps (like last year).
Dancing on his pedals.

Quote:
Many of the contenders were shelled today. Basso, Wiggins, A. Schleck, Menchov all looked like garbage. But, the mountains will be a whole different story and the Tour will be decided there.
That's where the drama starts.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 PM

Stage 1- Should be a sprinter's stage 9but with possible wind and rain), so I am going with the obvious Cavendish. However, I'm hoping Tyler Farrar can nip him at the end.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM

The finish of the stage was crazy. Glad no one got hurt

Old 07-05-2010, 11:15 AM

What a very rough day in the Tour today.

Cant wait for tomorrows stage. I hope its dry and the drama is from attacks not from so many crashing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports