Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 12:06 PM

102 posts, read 413,819 times

Advertisements

What does a parent do ? ---
When your 6' 5'' son does excellent in summer 11th grade 17U AAU ► Averages 17 ppg (High of 32pts) - co MVP of Team - (easily dunks)~
He is emotionally and mentally at the peak of his game potential-
He returns as a Sr. to High School team(ranked top 10 in the State) to play 'Against' ALL his fellow AAU starting five teamates
(on other teams in Conf) and 'BARELY' gets a chance to step onto the court.!!!

'Coach' has him frimly planted~ ON THE BENCH~
(note-Admittedly so,the Team Does have 3 Div1 signees on the starting 5)
starting 5 are → ♦6' 6' ♦6' 5" ~ 5'11" 5'10" & 5'8'. (♦6' 8" is Hurt) ♦=Div1

He has 3.2gpa, no personel issues, is being looked at by div3 / naia Schools and even when coaches come 'specifically' to watch him play - Coach still gives him barely any time to show his skills. !!!

He has been devastated by all this and demoralized by his coach, who has shown NO positive, encouraging coaches attributes at all..
(and he's NOT the only one being treated as such)

He is now at the lowest possible mental state of mind a young basketball player can be forced into, all, after giving 110% to this team.
He's at the end of his rope- at 17.
Had I known this would have happened....we, Like other families last year, would have transfered to ANOTHER school →for PT- playing time.!
(which IS aloud in Sr. year)

WHAT TYPE OF A COACH DOES THAT. ? And what can a Caring Parent do...?

The old addage→"Don't complain- because you may hurt his playing time" doesn't apply here....'cause he has no playing time.!

But should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,362 times
this is very upsetting to me, the #1 rule as a coach is to keep the kids interested in the game and not destroy their hopes and dreams. I am sorry you have to deal with this, there are soooo many inadequate high school coaches that really dont let their kids play up to their potential and sometimes not at all. My suggestion to you is to look up college coaches and send them some AAU video of your son. Then tell them what AAU tournaments your son will be in. College coaches mostly attend AAU tournaments to scout, but if you are lucky to have other highly scouted players approach the coach that has come to scout your sons team mate and give them a dvd of Highlights of some of your sons games. Never hurts to try. and good luck.

Like you said, too late to transfer. Which if it were my son and this was going on when he was a freshman and sophomore.. we would have been gone.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:41 PM

102 posts, read 413,819 times
Thxs for the reply-
That's pretty much exactly what I did....I got his name out there on my own...berecruited.com helped. videos sent out- coaches called.Made a bunch of school visits→ and ended up with 3 offers... (Partials)

He recently signed his letter of Intent to play ball @ IU ~ East -
Indiana University, Richmond In.!

Website story → Indiana University East News

p.s one of the H.S. coaches was 'unfortunately', just let go...

Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Many coaches don't like AAU games because they don't put much emphasis on defense. Its glorified playground ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports