U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Howard County, MD
2,224 posts, read 2,866,931 times
Reputation: 3362

Advertisements

So, who's supposed to be the favorite? Who's your pick to win? Whoever does come out on top, are they strong enough to take down the All Blacks later this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 7,822,269 times
Reputation: 3042
France, hopefully England, and no, NZ and SA will still be favourites for the World Cup. Looking forward to it though. One thing I love about the Six Nations is getting wasted watching it in the pubs and as it's mostly in the afternoons, presuming I don't drink in the evening I never get a hangover the morning after
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,697,261 times
Reputation: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
France, hopefully England, and no, NZ and SA will still be favourites for the World Cup. Looking forward to it though. One thing I love about the Six Nations is getting wasted watching it in the pubs and as it's mostly in the afternoons, presuming I don't drink in the evening I never get a hangover the morning after
I think you'll find Australia may replace SA as second favorites, as they have done at the TAB betting agency overhere. They've got a pretty decent squad who'll be a real threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 09:52 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,228,683 times
Reputation: 2802
I predict scorelines that are divisible by 3.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Howard County, MD
2,224 posts, read 2,866,931 times
Reputation: 3362
If anyone has been following England: is it likely that Courtney Lawes will be ready before the end of the tournament?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 7,822,269 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I think you'll find Australia may replace SA as second favorites, as they have done at the TAB betting agency overhere. They've got a pretty decent squad who'll be a real threat.
Actually looking at our odds Australia already are second favourites with generally around 4/1 to SA's 5/1. I guess I must have based my lower opinion of them on the time we beat them in November. NZ odds on everywhere, England 10s, France 12s, the rest nowhere. I reckon NZ will win but wouldn't have put them that overwhelming favourites with their WC track record.

Rugby World Cup Winner Betting Odds | Rugby Union Betting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,697,261 times
Reputation: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Actually looking at our odds Australia already are second favourites with generally around 4/1 to SA's 5/1. I guess I must have based my lower opinion of them on the time we beat them in November. NZ odds on everywhere, England 10s, France 12s, the rest nowhere. I reckon NZ will win but wouldn't have put them that overwhelming favourites with their WC track record.

Rugby World Cup Winner Betting Odds | Rugby Union Betting
Interesting reading, cheers for that, I'm might put a sneaky $20 on France, always seem to ruin things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 7,822,269 times
Reputation: 3042
France looked pretty damn good today against Scotland, so it looks like England-France will be the title-decider. None of the six teams really played badly over the weekend. Is there anybody not from one of the six nations following this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Howard County, MD
2,224 posts, read 2,866,931 times
Reputation: 3362
So the first week of action is over. Not really surprised by Wales giving up a lot of points in a loss, that seems to be a trend recently. And Scotland didn't look awful per se, but the French squad was too athletic for them to handle. I'll be interested to see ow Les Bleus fare against a squad with more comparable physical talent. But Ireland- what happened? They got the win, but just barely. Did anyone watch that match? Was Ireland really awful, or did Italy man up and play a great game?

Quote:
Is there anybody not from one of the six nations following this?
I'm watching from the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 7,822,269 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
So the first week of action is over. Not really surprised by Wales giving up a lot of points in a loss, that seems to be a trend recently. And Scotland didn't look awful per se, but the French squad was too athletic for them to handle. I'll be interested to see ow Les Bleus fare against a squad with more comparable physical talent. But Ireland- what happened? They got the win, but just barely. Did anyone watch that match? Was Ireland really awful, or did Italy man up and play a great game?



I'm watching from the U.S.
I watched all three of the games. Ireland were probably the worst of the six teams, really - the Italians were really up for it and the Irish were lucky to get the win. Wales seem to have a habit of narrowly losing big games, I've noticed. I was at university in Wales when they won the Grand Slam in '05 so I know from experience how passionately they are about it - them winning the Grand Slam was much bigger for them than us winning the World Cup in '03 was for us.

Oh, I just assumed you were an English expat if you were asking about Courtenay Lawes (I've heard no word on him btw).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top