U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,616,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I don't follow the tournaments in the other countries so much (except of course for Wimbledon and the Australian Open). But that's just because I don't get those on cable, so I'm unable to watch. I must be a fair-weather tennis fan....
As I had posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Anyways, if anyone wants to watch Dubai, you can watch it online on ESPN3 for free: Watch Live Streaming Tennis Online - ESPN3
I'm not sure where you are in the world, not sure if it makes a difference, but it should work if you're here in the States.

Quote:
Miami starts on March 3rd, I believe. Make that the 26th...their players' list has Federer as #2 in the world, followed by The Djok (sorry). There's an awesome lineup. I sure wish I could see the whole tournament or at least all of the top seeds play.
I wonder why Federer didn't drop, hmmm -- was never really clear about the points earned and the ranking system-- they've changed the format some, some years ago.

Del Potro is ranked #89, that much I got right -- still confused though.

Dolgopolov moved up three spots to #23.

I'll post it again once more! Watch Live Streaming Tennis Online - ESPN3
FREE!!!! And you can REPLAY the matches anytime!!!!

I believe they cover the 500 series and up, so no 250 series. AND you can watch the matches on replay, so if you miss the live feed, you can watch whenever time permits. Honestly, I wish I had never found that site, been wasting so much time. Actually there's a 30 day expiration feed, so you can watch anything from the past 30 days -- you can even go back and watch the Australian Open finals.

Quote:
I'm happy to see the Cjisters is still playing. Thought she was retiring after Australia because they wanted to have another baby. I'd love to see her retire as Number 1. Maybe she's decided to go one more year & try to regain that rank.
Did you mean Henin? I really want to see Serena come back, supposedly she will in Miami.

Quote:
RE Djok's box:
But also, why haven't any of the reporters mention any of this? I think John McEnroe has mentioned it, but he was being PC about how he worded it. He said something to the effect of them being a loud and wild bunch.
I see. I like McEnroe's commentary, wish he would continue -- I think he's back on tour playing though.

Last edited by BVitamin; 02-27-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Paribas Open in Indian Wells, CA (which is near/around the Palm Springs area) is coming up on the 3/7/11. Seems all the top players are in the line-up: BNP Paribas Open - Tennis Players - ATP World Tour and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour

Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,271,784 times
Quote:
As I had posted: I'm not sure where you are in the world, not sure if it makes a difference, but it should work if you're here in the States.
I'm in the USA and have DirectTV. I don't get ESPN3 where I live (I just checked)...when there's a major going, I get some additional channels which broadcast the matches - but only those matches up to the semi's.

Quote:
I'll post it again once more! Watch Live Streaming Tennis Online - ESPN3 FREE!!!! And you can REPLAY the matches anytime!!!!
thanks again, I think I'll remember it now!

Quote:
Did you mean Henin? I really want to see Serena come back, supposedly she will in Miami.
Nope, Kim Clijsters. She was retired for two years to have/care for a baby and came back over a year ago. She's now ranked #3. I'd really like to see her retire as #1. (Maybe it was just the commentators saying she 'might' retire again ~).

Serena's scheduled for Miami, but not Indian Wells. She's so incredibly competitive but I don't think her heart's in it like it was in the beginning. I always want her to win because everyone's gunning for her. I'm pretty sure she can take the pressure, though ~

Old 03-03-2011, 07:14 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,271,784 times
I'm watching the news this morning and there's a story about how Serena has a blood clot in her lungs. I really hope she this won't end her competitive career and that she recovers well.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I'm watching the news this morning and there's a story about how Serena has a blood clot in her lungs. I really hope she this won't end her competitive career and that she recovers well.
That's unfortunate to hear, she seems to be plagued with health issues one after the other -- hopes she fares better soon.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 AM

Default Indian wells 2011

Indian Wells' draws are up: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2011/404/mds.pdf

Dolgopolov is up against Soderling, Murray, Verdasco, and Del Potro in his quadrant, not sure I want to see DelPotro or Dolgopolov go. This section will have some good matches.

Nadal and Ferrer are opposite the other quadrant I just mentioned. Either one, meh.

Roddick and The Travelin' Circus Caravan are in bottom quadrant. Roddick to win or Feliciano because he's just so damn pretty.

Federer is up against Warwrinka, Cilic, Berdych, Mardy Fish(? - lol), and a wild card Milos Raonic -- in the opposite bottom quadrant. I saw Milos play in Memphis against Roddick, it was a surprise to see Roddick struggle so much against him .

Of course this would be big if Del Potro made it to the Semis, of course if Nadal somehow has another injury.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
Anyone notice how Federer always seems to play Warwinka in the 1st match of many tournaments....poor Warwinka having to face his buddy again and again!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 PM

JL, I believe they are playing together in doubles, Nadal is playing doubles as well. I don't think I've ever seen these guys play doubles before.

Also, was away so couldn't keep up with the tournament in Indian Wells.

I'm shocked to see Murray knocked out in the first round. I'm pleasantly surprise to see Del Potro doing so well. It'll be Del Potro and Nadal in the SemiF.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 PM

So Nadal lost in the finals at Indian Wells. Sad, sad day for the world of Tennis. I was watching the first half of the finals and couldn't watch anymore do to one of the commentators -- that one guy is so obnoxious, not the Australian guy, the other one, he just ruined it for me. I just ended up viewing the score board on atp's site. Anyways, Miami is next.

I'm thinking Nadal and Federer will pick up their game since that filler guy has had a chance to see their game for quite some time and are just getting use to him. Federer fell back in rankings some time ago and was able to come back so, possibly maybe -- hopefully.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,151,746 times
Some interesting results in Miami - the Nadal/Djokovic/Federer trio hasn't had too much trouble getting to the quarterfinals (actually, Federer hasn't played his 4th round match against Oliver Rochus as I type this - it might occur at 1 AM the way Sharapova/Dulgheru is going), but there have been a number of surprises elsewhere in the men's draw - both Soderling, Murray, and Wawrinka all got knocked out early (though Soderling's loss to Del Potro wasn't overly surprising). Dolgopolov caught an unlucky break with the Monday night rain delays in his Tsonga match and got squashed by Nadal, but a run to the 4th round is still solid. Marty Fish had an excellent win over Del Potro to get to the quarters.

The women's game isn't nearly as interesting to me right now with the power vacuum at the top (no Williams sisters, no Henin, no full-strength Sharapova), but Andrea Petkovic has been playing well; I think she had a good run at the Australian Open too.

To me, the most interesting questions in the men's game as we approach the French Open are:

1) Will Djokovic's dominance on hard court be able to carry over to clay (i.e. will he become a clear #2 on clay behind Nadal and possibly challenge Nadal at Roland Garros)?

2) How much will Del Potro continue to improve as he continues to recover from his 2010 injuries?

3) Can Federer stem the tide of what looks like slippage from his previous invincible (and later invincible against everybody by Nadal) level? (To think that a guy can be clearly no worse than the #3 player in the world and still be thought by some to be slipping is truly amazing - then again Federer in his 2005-2007 prime was truly amazing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or