Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,079 times

Advertisements

What bugs you more?

Pro athletes who make $20M, $30M, $40M...

OR

College athletes who if it weren't for their athletic skills, would never have been accepted to top tier universities? For example, how do the Stanford basketball players' high school academic performances compare to the typical (or even the lowest) Stanford non athlete student's high school performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,484,456 times
Neither bug me too much. The demand for quality athletics, and the profit it brings is hard to ignore for Universities. The demand for championships, and the profits they bring is hard to ignore for professional orginizations.

I think the problem is people always isolate this fact "they get paid 15 million to play a game," but they ignore the circumstance that allows that to happen.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Neither bug me too much. The demand for quality athletics, and the profit it brings is hard to ignore for Universities. The demand for championships, and the profits they bring is hard to ignore for professional orginizations.

I think the problem is people always isolate this fact "they get paid 15 million to play a game," but they ignore the circumstance that allows that to happen.
But what about your kid who had a 3.9 and a 2000 SAT who didn't get in but Slam Dunk Sam did and he had a 2.4 and 1400?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
The reasoning being that Slam Dunk Sam had to forego some of his study time in order to become expertly proficient at doing something else.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:

Not only that, but they think if the athletes are somehow not paid that much, the money would be redistributed to the general public or something.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
But what about your kid who had a 3.9 and a 2000 SAT who didn't get in but Slam Dunk Sam did and he had a 2.4 and 1400?
That wouldn't happen. If you have a 3.9 and a 2000 SAT, schools would be falling all over each other to get you into their school.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:42 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
This is the crux of it really. No one thinks about the fact that professional sports generate a lot of money from tickets, merchandise, advertising, etc. That money has to go somewhere, either the players will get payed of the owners will just line their pockets.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:57 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Quote:
What bugs you more?

Pro athletes who make $20M, $30M, $40M...

OR

College athletes who if it weren't for their athletic skills, would never have been accepted to top tier universities? For example, how do the Stanford basketball players' high school academic performances compare to the typical (or even the lowest) Stanford non athlete student's high school performance?
It doesn't offend me in the least that athletes are making such money. Sports is big business.

Assuming that you're referring to the black athlete because of your reference to Stanford basketball, traditionally, there have been far more white students admitted to universities who have benefited because of their race than black athletes. IMO, any academically-based outrage towards the college black athlete is misguided.

I support ANY vehicle that helps any black person go to college and become exposed to the college environment. Hopefully, they receive an education and enable their kids and their families to pursue a high education.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:49 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,036 times
Some of the bitterness people harbor towards athletes really astounds me.

Tell me, does it keep you up at night that Bill Gates has all that money? How about Steve Jobs? The Fords? I'd guess not, because they made their money selling products that people want. Why are athletes any different? If there is a huge consumer demand for their product, don't they enjoy the same rights as all Americans to reap the financial rewards of said demand? Unless, of course, you're a communist who believes that the government should tell you how much money you "deserve" to make. Except maybe for public funds for stadiums, athletes don't take any money out of people's pockets that the fans don't willingly give them. It doesn't affect me at all that Kobe Bryant signed a $ 100 million contract; he does his thing and I do mine.

As for college:You do realize rather than cost the university money like most students, athletes make millions of dollars for it? I don't see why they shouldn't be given special consideration if they benefit the school in ways that I don't. Besides, football and basketball players are a small minority of the yearly freshman class. If your kid didn't get in, it's probably not because some jock "took his spot".

I've tried to avoid bringing the discussion here on this forum, but after analyzing people's comments in various media outlets and websites, it's really starting to look like people's problem is rooted in the fact that they see a group of people they view as their social inferiors making more money than them and flaunting it.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,319 times
Quote:
Sports teams get their own scholarships and do not impact the admittance of non-athletes so your scenario would never happen.

If you child or any child is deserving to get into a school, they will get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports