Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Oh stop it! You're making my mouth water!
Love that name too.
Yeah, I would LOVE that name for a New Orleans team also. So fitting. That "Hornets" name needs to go. There are SO MANY other way better and more fitting names that can be held in New Orleans cause the city is SO unique in it's culture. New Orleans also deserves that name "Jazz" back from Utah.

Just imagine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
MLB ideas:

San Antonio Bulls
San Antonio Stallions

Quote:
NHL ideas:

Seattle Sounders
Milwaukee Blizzard
Utah
Seattle Pilots
Milwaukee Knights
Utah Grizzlies

Quote:
NBA ideas:

Louisville Crusaders
Saint Louis Dales aka Clydesdales
Kansas City Monarchs
Louisville Colonels
St. Louis Brewers
Kansas City Kings

Quote:
NFL ideas:

Jacksonville Jaguars move to Los Angeles and become the Los Angeles Jaguars or Los Angeles Dragons
Any of these names:

Avengers
Condors
Bulldogs
Grizzlies
Express
Mammoths
Dons

Old 06-21-2012, 03:10 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
San Antonio Stallions

Seattle Pilots
Milwaukee Knights
Utah Grizzlies

Louisville Colonels
St. Louis Brewers
Kansas City Kings

Any of these names:

Avengers
Condors
Bulldogs
Grizzlies
Express
Mammoths
Dons
Werent you making fun of soccer team names?

Express? Mammoths? Dons?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Werent you making fun of soccer team names?

Express? Mammoths? Dons?
No. Why would I? Weirdo.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 AM

If any of you are bored and want to fill this out

Possible names if these cities got MLB franchises?

Albany
Omaha
Indianapolis
Memphis
Oklahoma City
Albuquerque
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Sacramento
Edmonton
Portland
Tucson

Possible names if these cities got NHL franchises?

Seattle
Portland
Salt Lake City
Las Vegas
San Diego
Kansas City
Hamilton
Milwaukee
Dayton
Hartford
Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News/Chesapeake
Atlanta
Houston
Austin

Possible names if these cities got NFL franchises?

Bridgeport-Stamford CT
Austin
Sacramento
Richmond
Louisville
Honolulu
Tulsa
Omaha
Allentown-Bethlehem PA
Little Rock
Albuquerque
Toronto
Des Moines
Birmingham
Jackson MS
Los Angeles
Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News/Chesapeake
Las Vegas
Portland
Baton Rouge
El Paso

Possible names if these cities got NBA franchises?

Riverside-San Bernardino
Las Vegas
Providence
Austin
Richmond
Fresno
Little Rock
Grand Rapids
Knoxville
San Diego
Kansas City
Columbus
Greenville SC
Bridgeport-Stamford CT
Rochester NY
Birmingham
Jacksonville
Allentown-Bethlehem PA

Possible names if these cities got MLS franchises?

St. Louis
Phoenix
Miami
Orlando
San Diego
Nashville
Greensboro NC
El Paso
McAllen–Edinburg–Mission TX
Akron OH
Boise
Atlanta
Columbia SC
Austin
Daytona Beach
Fresno
Grand Rapids
Harrisburg PA
Madison WI
Lancaster PA
Huntsville AL
Portland ME
San Antonio
Wilmington NC
San Diego
Trenton NJ
Santa Barbara
Worcester MA
Spokane WA
Wichita
York-Hanover PA
Poughkeppsie NY

Old 10-31-2016, 07:10 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times
For sure:
Green Bay - no NBA, MLB, or NHL team
Milwaukee - no NFL or NHL team. They do have an AHL team but it's considered semi-professional, or also called, minor league. Wisconsin has never had an NHL team at all.
Oakland - No NHL team currently though they did had one when they were called the California (later Oakland) Golden Seals.
Jacksonville - No NBA, NHL, or MLB team. Just an NFL team called the Jaguars
Atlanta - No NHL team anymore as the Thrashers relocated to Winnipeg, now known as the Winnipeg Jets
Charlotte - No MLB team
San Antonio - No NHL, MLB, or NBA team
New Orleans - No NHL or MLB team though they do have a minor league baseball team called the Zephyrs

Old 11-10-2016, 08:01 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
For sure:
Green Bay - no NBA, MLB, or NHL team
Milwaukee - no NFL or NHL team. They do have an AHL team but it's considered semi-professional, or also called, minor league. Wisconsin has never had an NHL team at all.

Oakland - No NHL team currently though they did had one when they were called the California (later Oakland) Golden Seals.
Jacksonville - No NBA, NHL, or MLB team. Just an NFL team called the Jaguars
Atlanta - No NHL team anymore as the Thrashers relocated to Winnipeg, now known as the Winnipeg Jets
Charlotte - No MLB team

San Antonio - No NHL, MLB, or NBA team
New Orleans - No NHL or MLB team though they do have a minor league baseball team called the Zephyrs
FYI, the Packers are unofficially Wisconsin's de facto NFL team. For that reason, I don't see NFL owners ever awarding Milwaukee an NFL team, short of say if the Packers were to relocate to Milwaukee. But I don't ever see that happening, since the Pack have too much history at Lambeau to ever play at any other stadium. Keep in mind till the old Milwaukee County Stadium was demolished, that they played a few games a year in Milwaukee instead of Green Bay. Since then due to the fact Miller Park is a baseball only stadium, they've played all regular season games in Green Bay. IIRC that city doesn't have any venues that might be remotely NFL ready, to be able to handle a few regular season games in MKE instead of Green Bay. I'm sure if there was a sports venue in Milwaukee that could handle higher NFL crowds, that the tradition of the Packers playing a few games in Milwaukee would've continued to this day.

I wouldn't be against Milwaukee getting an NHL team, particularly if very small markets like Raleigh, NC have a team! Let's not forget years ago that Hartford, CT and Quebec City, QC had NHL teams before a move, and that both those areas were very small.

Finally as for Atlanta, they've lost 2 NHL teams over the years unfortunately. First one was the Flames(now in Calgary) who moved out in 1980(started in 1972), and the 2nd one was the Thrashers(now the Winnipeg Jets), who moved in 2011(started in 1999). Sadly for this reason I'm not sure if the NHL would allow another team in Atlanta, but I wouldn't say it's totally impossible that the league may decide one day to try again in Atlanta.

And to finally round out the places I want to talk about, Charlotte wouldn't be a bad site for an MLB team, either. Since there's a huge gap between Atlanta and Washington, DC, where there isn't a single MLB team. Someone on a previous page besides you mentioned the possibility of San Antonio getting an NFL team, but I worry the owners of the Cowboys and Texans would find a way to rally enough owner votes to block that from happening. It's silly to me, since I think San Antonio would definitely be a great site for an NFL team. Someone above on either this page or the last one said Baton Rouge, but I can't see that city getting a pro team, and anything other than a minor league one at best. I believe they have at least a minor league baseball team, to my knowledge(correct me if wrong).

Other cities that lack a certain team, and where I don't think it'd be bad for a future team to be created:

Saint Louis- NFL(I won't be surprised if the NFL has a team here again someday, since that city tried so darned hard to keep the Rams in Saint Louis. I could see StL perhaps persuading an NFL team owner(via a local businessman buying out the majority shares of ownership in that team?), to consider moving there someday), NBA(they used to have an NBA team, as I know. maybe the 'Ed' Dome the Rams vacated, could be renovated to support an NBA team?)
Albuquerque- none of the 4 main sports. but if Jacksonville of all cities can somehow have an NFL team, why not Albuquerque? there is a minor league baseball team there, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had minor league hockey of some sort either.
Louisville- none of the 4 main sports either. but I could see this city trying to lure a pro team to move there or via successfully getting an expansion franchise, someday. not sure if they'd have much of a chance for an NFL team, since Indy, Cincy, and Nashville aren't too far away.
Cincinnati- NBA(believe they once had an NBA team, though), NHL(they do have a minor league hockey team of some sort though)
Las Vegas- MLB, NFL(there are a lot of current rumors they might persuade the Oakland Raiders to successfully move there, we'll see. I don't think it'd be a bad idea, since they play in one of the VERY worst NFL stadiums as it is), NHL(have heard a lot of rumors about them trying to persuade the Phoenix Coyotes to move, and in 2015 while visiting Vegas, I recall seeing local billboards trying to rally support for the NHL to get a team to move to that city), NBA
Salt Lake City- MLB(since there's a current gap between Denver and Oakland with no teams), NFL(ditto here, no teams between here and Oakland. if Vegas ever gets the Raiders, I'm not sure if NFL owners would look favorably on creating a team in SLC), NHL(wouldn't be surprised if they already had a minor league hockey team of some sort here)
Pittsburgh- NBA(which once had a pro basketball team, a la Rochester and Buffalo. little sad to think there's a gap between Cleveland and Philly w/no NBA team, w/Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse all no longer having an NBA team), NHL(they do have minor league hockey I believe)
Buffalo- MLB(though they probably won't award one with Cleveland and Toronto having teams), NBA(once had a pro basketball team though, the Braves)

Old 11-10-2016, 09:28 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Omaha can never get a major league sports team.

If they did, northern cities trying to extract taxpayer money for new stadiums could not use that old phrase......." If our team leaves, we will become nothing more than a cold Omaha "

( I wish I had a dollar every time that phrase was used when I lived in Minnesota )

Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
We've (MSP) got all five now. Although our NHL and MLS teams are in St. Paul our Metro is generally viewed as one big city

Old 01-22-2017, 10:02 AM

16,699 posts, read 29,515,591 times
The NHL needs to return to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports