Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times

Advertisements

When looking at metro markets, The two largest metropolitan areas without a major leagues sports franchises are:

-the Hampton Roads area in Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Hampton, Portsmouth)

-the Piedmont Triad metro in North Carolina (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point)

both these metros have over 1.6 million people making them the largest metro regions in the country with a major league sports franchise. The two largest cities in both metros are Greensboro and Norfolk.

Greensboro has a population on 270,000 people and Norfolk has a population of 243,000. Greensboro is actually bigger than Orlando, Fl in city population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro,_North_Carolina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk,_Virginia

The Piedmont Triad does have "big league" sports events. The PGA Tour stops in Greensboro at the Wyndham Championship and Winston-Salem is on the U.S. Open Tennis Tour with the Winston-Salem Open.

There was a failed attempt to move the Minnesota Twins to the Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, NC area in the late 1990s. Renderings of a major league baseball stadium to be built between Greensboro and Winston-Salem were drawn up and there was a referendum vote in the region for a prepared food tax to pay for the stadium. Greensboro was the base home of the ABA Carolina Cougars in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The team folded before the ABA and NBA merged. Former ABA teams like the Indiana Pacers survived the move to the NBA.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-18-2011 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Austin-San Antonio market 4 million people I believe.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:45 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Austin-San Antonio market 4 million people I believe.
And they ave the Spurs, thus they have a major league franchise. Are you saying there should be more than just NBA?

Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And they ave the Spurs, thus they have a major league franchise. Are you saying there should be more than just NBA?
MLB, maybe?

That's all I see San Antonio getting within the next decade.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
MLB, maybe?

That's all I see San Antonio getting within the next decade.
I think that San Antonio will receive a NFL team long before a MLB team , MLB has 80 to 81 home games a year.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I think that San Antonio will receive a NFL team long before a MLB team , MLB has 80 to 81 home games a year.
If San Antonio wants NFL, their gonna have to do something with the Alamodome.... OR build a new stadium.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If San Antonio wants NFL, their gonna have to do something with the Alamodome.... OR build a new stadium.
Yeah San Antonio fate is in their's own hands , they can either man up and build a new stadium , or talk a pipe dream of them getting a NFL team without a brand spankling new NFL approved stadium ( that will never happen).

Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Yeah San Antonio fate is in their's own hands , they can either man up and build a new stadium , or talk a pipe dream of them getting a NFL team without a brand spankling new NFL approved stadium ( that will never happen).
Would you say that San Antonio building a new Dome is about as likely as one going up in California? I don't think so. Despite all of the hype, hullaballoo and just plain bs coming out of California when it comes to building a new stadium, one has not been built there in over 40 years. And I don't see one going up out there anytime soon either.

San Antonio on the other hand is capable of housing any NFL team today. As in now. Not four years from now. Plus I can almost guarantee you that funding and building a new Dome in San Antonio would go off without a hitch, or a lawsuit for that matter. It's been done before all over Texas.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Would you say that San Antonio building a new Dome is about as likely as one going up in California? I don't think so. Despite all of the hype, hullaballoo and just plain bs coming out of California when it comes to building a new stadium, one has not been built there in over 40 years. And I don't see one going up out there anytime soon either.

San Antonio on the other hand is capable of housing any NFL team today. As in now. Not four years from now. Plus I can almost guarantee you that funding and building a new Dome in San Antonio would go off without a hitch, or a lawsuit for that matter. It's been done before all over Texas.
Action is worth more than TALK....let's see about that my friend.....

Old 11-15-2011, 04:36 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Maybe not a football stadium in CA - but there have been arenas built there such as

HP Pavilion in SJ
Honda Center
Petco Park
AT&T Park (no public funds for park, however they did receive $10M tax abatement and $80M for infrastructure around the stadium)
Staples Center (privately financed)

So there has been some activity - some private, some public, some mixed to various degrees ... not to mention a variety of upgrades, etc

Definitely way too early to call a slam dunk and there have been more rumors than viable plans - i think there is enough potential cash not only from the stadium/team operation, but from developing a "district" that something will get completed in LA at some point in the relatively near future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports