Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:31 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,187,882 times

Advertisements

So far, so good... Though I'd like to have seen Murray/Djokovic Monday. I've been waiting for Djokovic to reach his stride for a few years now.

I got really tired of McEnroe and the old guy going on and on in their adoration of Federer. Finally killed the audio and just watched with my own commentary. Though I did appreciate their comment about the match being 'the current best against the all time best'. Even Sampras and Agassi had to go down at some point.

Last edited by Willsson; 09-10-2011 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,819,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
That Fed/Djo match was truly the most depressing match I have ever seen. All I will say is this. Winning doesn't buy you class and Novak has none. His stunt with the crowd was tacky. I would have really liked to have seen Rog kick his a*r*s*e.......and he would have done it with class!
The single most stupid comment I have read on this site, the match was brilliant.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:06 PM

25,606 posts, read 56,335,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
That Fed/Djo match was truly the most depressing match I have ever seen. All I will say is this. Winning doesn't buy you class and Novak has none. His stunt with the crowd was tacky. I would have really liked to have seen Rog kick his a*r*s*e.......and he would have done it with class!
The single most stupid comment I have read on this site, the match was brilliant.
Well, I don't think this comment was stupid. CAKD was talking about Djoko's arrogance (not his tennis) which attitude, imo, needs significant improvement. Mugging the crowd when Fed lost match point WAS classless - very poor form. No one would have done that - not Murray, not Fed, not Rafa - had the situation been reversed. I also didn't like his attitude after the Dolgo tiebreak either, begging the crowd for applause. Dolgo was ranked 23 at time (#20 after this tourney), Djoker #1. Why does Djoker consider it a major accomplishment when he finally wins a tiebreak over a #23 player? Not befitting his ranking, imo. His problem is he is not a crowd favorite. And his ego doesn't like it. Rafa goes to plenty of tourneys where the crowd hates him - past French Opens being one - yet he doesn't act like a fool about it at inappropriate times. Djoko has a way to go to mature in the appropriate behavior department.

As far as the match being brilliant - I don't think Djoker played his best, but he did hang in there until Fed ran out of gas. I wouldn't call it brilliant - other than the way in which Fed lost it. That was brilliant, inexplicable and embarrassing. Fed no longer has the energy to sustain the physical and mental focus necessary to close these matches out. That is a shame and sad. Sorry to see him lose this way. Never a big Fed fan, but nonetheless in his prime he was a great champion with far more inherent talent than Rafa, Djoker and Murray put together.

Oh, well, Rafa/Djoker on Monday. I imagine that will be a repeat of all their other matches this year. I did not see anything in Rafa's play today to convince me otherwise. He did all right, but he won't defeat Djokovic. He seems to tire too easily these days, and Djokovic is in his head. That will be a hard one to watch. I just may not.

And, Serena more or less rolled over Wozniacki tonight. Don't like Wozniacki, girl has no game. I hope Stosur gives Serena more of a battle.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-10-2011 at 10:16 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 10:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,214,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
So far, so good... Though I'd like to have seen Murray/Djokovic Monday. I've been waiting for Djokovic to reach his stride for a few years now.

I got really tired of McEnroe and the old guy going on and on in their adoration of Federer. Finally killed the audio and just watched with my own commentary. Though I did appreciate their comment about the match being 'the current best against the all time best'. Even Sampras and Agassi had to go down at some point.
If you watched the French Open this year, McEnroe brown-nosed Djoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Really? I advise you to go visit the politics forum and the religion forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, I don't think this comment was stupid. CAKD was talking about Djoko's arrogance (not his tennis) which attitude, imo, needs significant improvement. Mugging the crowd when Fed lost match point WAS classless - very poor form. No one would have done that - not Murray, not Fed, not Rafa - had the situation been reversed. I also didn't like his attitude after the Dolgo tiebreak either, begging the crowd for applause. Dolgo was ranked 23 at time (#20 after this tourney), Djoker #1. Why does Djoker consider it a major accomplishment when he finally wins a tiebreak over a #23 player? Not befitting his ranking, imo. His problem is he is not a crowd favorite. And his ego doesn't like it. Rafa goes to plenty of tourneys where the crowd hates him - past French Opens being one - yet he doesn't act like a fool about it at inappropriate times. Djoko has a way to go to mature in the appropriate behavior department.

As far as the match being brilliant - I don't think Djoker played his best, but he did hang in there until Fed ran out of gas. I wouldn't call it brilliant - other than the way in which Fed lost it. That was brilliant, inexplicable and embarrassing. Fed no longer has the energy to sustain the physical and mental focus necessary to close these matches out. That is a shame and sad. Sorry to see him lose this way. Never a big Fed fan, but nonetheless in his prime he was a great champion with far more inherent talent than Rafa, Djoker and Murray put together.

Oh, well, Rafa/Djoker on Monday. I imagine that will be a repeat of all their other matches this year. I did not see anything in Rafa's play today to convince me otherwise. He did all right, but he won't defeat Djokovic. He seems to tire too easily these days, and Djokovic is in his head. That will be a hard one to watch. I just may not.

And, Serena more or less rolled over Wozniacki tonight. Don't like Wozniacki, girl has no game. I hope Stosur gives Serena more of a battle.
Djoker has always demanded the crowd to cheer for him, he's done this in the past. Sure isn't a way to win the crowd or gain respect, it really is tactless and shows poor character. He talks about being from a poor country, just because you grew up poor doesn't mean you have to act poorly. I know I'll never cheer him on (from the seat of my couch). Maybe it's his poor character, maybe it's his lack of gameplay, I most likely will never care to recognize him as a "great player" even if he wins all four majors in a row.

Serena obliterated Wozniacki. I actually like Serena, I just find her outbursts funny at times. And Wozniacki throwing down her racket was just hilarious.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,819,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

That Fed/Djo match was truly the most depressing match I have ever seen.

That's what he said, the match,

And Djoko he may not be an American crowd favorite, but everyone I know think's he is great, he is more popular than Federer and Rafa here in Scotland.

So your not a big Federer fan, you don't like Djoko and you think Federer in his prime had more talent than Nadal, Djoko and Murray put together? Federer hasn't declined as much as people think, Nadal and Djoko have improved greatly and make him look like he is a shadow of the player he was but in reality he's close to the same level. And you ''just may not watch'' the worlds 2 best players play in the final of the US open?! Are you sure you are a fan of tennis?

Your comment is riddled with curious remarks I have to say.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,187,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
If you watched the French Open this year, McEnroe brown-nosed Djoker.
Spoiler

Really? I advise you to go visit the politics forum and the religion forum.

Djoker has always demanded the crowd to cheer for him, he's done this in the past. Sure isn't a way to win the crowd or gain respect, it really is tactless and shows poor character. He talks about being from a poor country, just because you grew up poor doesn't mean you have to act poorly. I know I'll never cheer him on (from the seat of my couch). Maybe it's his poor character, maybe it's his lack of gameplay, I most likely will never care to recognize him as a "great player" even if he wins all four majors in a row.

Serena obliterated Wozniacki. I actually like Serena, I just find her outbursts funny at times. And Wozniacki throwing down her racket was just hilarious
No, I missed most of the French Open, don't recall what part I saw. But for McEnroe brown-nosing Djokovic, all I can say is...

How French !

Old 09-11-2011, 03:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,214,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
No, I missed most of the French Open, don't recall what part I saw. But for McEnroe brown-nosing Djokovic, all I can say is...

How French !
How is it French? Is this one of those moronic stereotypes usually espoused from ignorance? Tell me, where did this come from?

Anyway, Serena reared her ugly head again against the umpire in the final, I like her a little less now. If you watch the live feed from online you can here the audio more clearly, you can hear what the players are saying on court and Serena yelled out some pretty nasty things, really ghetto things. Ruins the game. I can't watch anymore, I just hope Stosur wins.

Suddenly I'm reminded of Djoker begging the crowd for applause.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,450,208 times
Default Us open spoiler

I'm watching the women's championship now, S. Williams vs Samantha Stosur. Here's to Sam for not crumbling under the tension of another one of Serena's tantrums. Serena accused the chair umpire of 'being the same one [chair umpire] who screwed me over the last time' [meaning, that nasty display from two years ago)- well,the commentators said she wasn't the other Umpire....Serena didn't ever shake the Ump's hand at the end of the match.

Djok won't attain the level of Federer or Nadal, that is to stay in the top ten players in the world for ten straight years (like Andy Roddick has). Nadal still has time to garner more championship titles than Federer, but I think it's unlikely because his body has been breaking down.

Serena even continued haranguing the Ump during the changeover. AND it's the wrong umpire! I hope Stosur wins just based on the way she comports herself and her sportsmanship.

It's now at championship point for Stosur........Congratulations to AUSTRALIA!!! Sam's first grand championship!

Old 09-11-2011, 04:29 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,032,026 times
Yeah, Serena classless......

Old 09-11-2011, 04:52 PM

25,606 posts, read 56,335,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Anyway, Serena reared her ugly head again against the umpire in the final, I like her a little less now. If you watch the live feed from online you can here the audio more clearly, you can hear what the players are saying on court and Serena yelled out some pretty nasty things, really ghetto things.
I was watching online and CBS. Heard and saw it all. My thoughts on Serena, after the ugly display in 2009 and again today, are not fit to print.

Yaaaay Stosur. Well deserved win!!! Hope we see a lot more of you.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-11-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports