Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Nah.
just being sarcastic eventhough I am a Southern California resident, I just can't stand L.A. Politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 03:09 PM

they would need an NFL team first because I believe the NFL policy, rule is that non-NFL cities, metropolitan areas are not permitted to host Super Bowl's, and this one person said this, i copied and pasted it as to why getting an NFL team in San Antonio would be difficult: "I doubt it. For one thing, eventhough San Antonio has a large population, but it does not a lot of wealth. You couldn't sell luxury boxes in SA they way you can in Dallas or Houston. The other factor is Jerry Jones. A team in SA would cost the Cowboys a lot of fans and a lot of revenue. He'll fight tooth and nail and do anything he can to stop the NFL from expanding to San Antonio."

Old 10-30-2011, 04:02 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,806 times
People have come up with a lot of different reasons why the NFL shouldn't go to San Antonio. But there are just as many good reasons why a team in SA would succeed too. One thing I've identified that makes the likelihood of SA getting a team before LA is the fact that a new Dome could flat out be built sooner, easier and cheaper in San Antonio than in Los Angeles. This is because of the incredible amount of red tape and politics that one has to navigate and endure just to get a stadium financed in California.

Things happen rather quickly in San Antonio and in Texas in general when it comes to funding and building new Domes and Arenas. Which leads me to believe that San Antonio will land an NFL franchise before Los Angeles. As has been mentioned the league was ready and willing to place a team in LA in 1999 but the right ownership nor the proper financing was in place. So the team went to Houston. Fast forward to 2011 and you have a similar situation. Only this time the "other" city is San Antonio.

The aforementioned politics is the primary reason why a new pro football stadium or Dome has not been built in California in over 40 years. Combine this fact with greedy builders who wish to own the teams that they want to build stadiums for and you have the main reason why I believe the Vikings will relocate to San Antonio and not Los Angeles. Should they relocate.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
People have come up with a lot of different reasons why the NFL shouldn't go to San Antonio. But there are just as many good reasons why a team in SA would succeed too. One thing I've identified that makes the likelihood of SA getting a team before LA is the fact that a new Dome could flat out be built sooner, easier and cheaper in San Antonio than in Los Angeles. This is because of the incredible amount of red tape and politics that one has to navigate and endure just to get a stadium financed in California.

Things happen rather quickly in San Antonio and in Texas in general when it comes to funding and building new Domes and Arenas. Which leads me to believe that San Antonio will land an NFL franchise before Los Angeles. As has been mentioned the league was ready and willing to place a team in LA in 1999 but the right ownership nor the proper financing was in place. So the team went to Houston. Fast forward to 2011 and you have a similar situation. Only this time the "other" city is San Antonio.

The aforementioned politics is the primary reason why a new pro football stadium or Dome has not been built in California in over 40 years. Combine this fact with greedy builders who wish to own the teams that they want to build stadiums for and you have the main reason why I believe the Vikings will relocate to San Antonio and not Los Angeles. Should they relocate.
California refuses to use any form of public money to help build stadiums, other states are comfortable and content with using public money

Old 11-24-2011, 07:38 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
For all the talk of San Antonio supporting an NFL team I'm sure it's possible but in my opinion Oklahoma City has become the latest expansion city darling with their support of the NBA's Thunder. I see it far more likely the NFL would follow suit with a team there versus a third team in neighboring Texas or yet another floundering LA franchise.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For all the talk of San Antonio supporting an NFL team I'm sure it's possible but in my opinion Oklahoma City has become the latest expansion city darling with their support of the NBA's Thunder. I see it far more likely the NFL would follow suit with a team there versus a third team in neighboring Texas or yet another floundering LA franchise.
I can't see OKC getting a second pro team with the college football fan base so heavy in the city. It's not that large either.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I can't see OKC getting a second pro team with the college football fan base so heavy in the city. It's not that large either.
Texas isn't exactly immune from college football influence either with UT/A&M and while Oklahoma City's metro is smaller than San Antonio's metro area it's not about size but whether they can sell tickets and fill a venue. LA would be a prime example of a fail in that department with all the size/demographic supposedly needed. Also bear in mind an Oklahoma City franchise would pull support from most of the state where a San Antonio franchise is going to splinter Dallas and Houston support.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Texas isn't exactly immune from college football influence either with UT/A&M and while Oklahoma City's metro is smaller than San Antonio's metro area it's not about size but whether they can sell tickets and fill a venue. LA would be a prime example of a fail in that department with all the size/demographic supposedly needed. Also bear in mind an Oklahoma City franchise would pull support from most of the state where a San Antonio franchise is going to splinter Dallas and Houston support.
Good point. Still think it'd be a while before they get another team.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
You're right but it's not close to what you get with OU/OSU in Oklahoma. Texas is really a pro football state over a college football state. It's liked but pro sports are liked more. Different from the rest of the South.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Quote:
SA almost filled the Alamodome three times in 2005 for a team with little prior local fan support and almost no marketing. The team wouldn't draw much from Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston, I think, but would likely draw heavily from Austin, Corpus Christi, the border region, and everywhere else in that portion of the state. Going by metro area population by itself, it is larger than Indianapolis, Green Bay, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Charlotte, and Nashville. The population is very comparable to Pittsburgh and Kansas City. Then, adding just the San Antonio and Austin metro areas exceeds (slightly) the population of the Sooner State (going by the 2010 Census: 2.1 million+1.7 million>3.75 million). Finally, I doubt college football in Texas would be threatened by a third NFL team, since the state has 25 million people.

All of this has little bearing on reality, though, since taxpayers would likely need to pay for massive improvements to the Alamodome or build a new stadium, and an owner would need to be convinced to move his or her team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports