U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: More Popular NBA or MLB?
MLB 9 81.82%
NBA 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-22-2011, 11:24 AM

345 posts, read 344,247 times
Default More Popular: NBA or MLB?

What major sports league is more popular in America. Which one do you think more people follow, attend, and watch? Which one do you think is more covered, watched, and recognized? I personally think MLB is very more important to the country and is way more popular. Am I wrong? There was another forum that had people saying NBA is more popular than baseball. Maybe I just think MLB is more popular because I live in a town with MLB and no NBA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-22-2011, 12:37 PM

1,632 posts, read 177,990 times
I agree that the MLB is most followed, etc. in America.
I like basketball more though. ._.

Unread 10-23-2011, 09:26 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,049,852 times
To me that's a tough question if you really think about it.

MLB make FAR more money through attendence (due to larger stadiums and crap load of games) but NBA has by far more noticable star power. You'll have people in Washington or Minnesota be a hard core Lakers fan, Why? Because of Kobe. I don't think I can name any baseball player outside of maybe Albert Puljos who just made history last night. MLB personalities don't capture the nations imagination save for when there is a doping scandal. While NBA people are very well known outside basketball circles.

Both are about the same in terms of national TV ratings. There is little hype for national games comparatively. Most money is made through those local sports TV networks. And even then ratings fluctuate dependent on team's performance.

I'm 23, I personally don't know anyone who even has a passing glance of interest in baseball but I know more people who have at least a passing glance of interest in basketball. I attribute that to the star power.

I've read analysis of TV audience, Baseball is decidedly gray, while Basketball is decidedly spry. Both have lost audience however since the 90s however.

To me, I think it's a generational thing. Outside of a few die hard markets (STL, BOS, NY) I think it comes down to generational gap. Younger people are much more likely to follow the NBA as opposed to MLB. NBA has better marketing muscle and MLB is just WAY TOO LONG without the same theatrics that people get from football. Also like football, you have a lot of basketball fans who will just watch the biggest team with the biggest name. This is where ABC gets it's marketing push from for national games.

Baseballs "national past time" line is just that an old hat line used by old timey guys on nostaliga trips. You're much more likely to see kids play pick up basketball as opposed to baseball, (if they're even outside).

That being said there is a considerable old head population in the this country still so......

Yea I am sticking with the generation gap theory, if you had to twist my arm I'd probably say MLB JUST edges the NBA though just due to sheer money accumulated by stadiums and the underrated audience of older fans.

Unread 10-25-2011, 08:27 PM

4,198 posts, read 1,065,811 times
I've been a long time fan of both, and I can tell you that until recently, NBA had closed the gap on baseball. The marquee games in NBA had, in fact, arguably surpassed the MLB postseason.

NBA is killing itself right now with this strike, wasting what was one of the greatest playoffs in recent memory. Losing the first month or two of the season was bad enough when it happened in 1999, but the league was starting to recover by the time the Lakers won the 2000 title. But if the NBA loses an entire season, then it would take at least several years for the league to recover its position.

Unread 10-25-2011, 08:40 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,049,852 times
I agree, to an extent

Didn't the MLB really get hurt after it's strike as well? I remember as a kid in the 90s despite not watching sports there was more of a "presence" of the MLB than I think there is now.

I felt the NBA presence more so though thanks to the Jordan era. It was bigger and flashier, NBA Finals had so much hype.

Nowadays, I don't know which you could say gives more hype. Mainly because NBA isn't what it used to be in the 90s and baseball has gradually shrunk.

I think both are around the same overall in terms of sheer numbers, audience is different however.

If the NBA drop off is drastic, I bet that the fanbase will just go towards the college game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports