Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
1. Salary caps and floors on all teams and players. What works for one league financially isnt going to work for another

2. Limited amounts of money rookies, sophomores, and third-year players can make. A player should make whatever a willing team is willing to pay them and what the player agrees to receive

3. Age requirements raised to 21 for each league. Why? If someone is able to play at 16, 17 or whatever age then why should they not be allowed to compete.

4. Each player must have a college degree and/or play in the minor leagues first. They arent doctors. An education is not required to play sports. Their should be no education requirements

5. No city can host more than one sports team per league. Should their only be one McDonald's per market too? A city should be able to have as many teams as it can support

6. Every league has an Eastern/Western Conference set-up rather than American/National League. Leagues should setup whatever works for their business

7. Every player gets tested at least once a week for substance abuse. [color="blue"]Can you be more specific? Are you talking about pot or steriods?[color="blue"]

8. Mandatory "three strikes" policies for on and off-field offenses. Not all offenses are created equal

9. Playoffs with 8 teams per conference akin to that of the NBA and NHL. That means no wildcards or bye weeks. Not all leagues have the same number of teams. What works for one league will not work for another

10. Every sports franchise must purchase its own new stadiums. Are you going to require all businesses to buy their own buildings?
I'm sorry but these are just dumb. Sports leagues are all independent businesses and they do not need to be forced to do what the other one does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 AM

758 posts, read 590,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I'm sorry but these are just dumb. Sports leagues are all independent businesses and they do not need to be forced to do what the other one does.
In most other private and independent businesses, the employees don't get paid a huge bonus starting off. They have to pay their dues. That's the case 99-percent of the time. That's why I think the same rule should apply to all athletes. None of them deserve huge contracts until they've been in the league at least 3 years. They should prove themselves first in case they turn into big busts like Vince Young and the majority of the Heisman Trophy winners.

Also, I think the age requirement should definitely apply because someone who is 18 or 19 isn't mature enough to play on a professional level and be a leader IMHO. That's part of the reason why I think so many of them get in trouble with the law. They're young punks who think they can get away with crimes because they're immature and they were used to getting preferential treatment all their lives.

No city hosting more than one team isn't as big a deal as some of the others. I don't think there should be more than one McDonald's in either city per se, but that would be fine with me. Either that or they should be confined to a certain region of the country.

The same applies to the National and American Leagues vs. the Eastern and Western Conference. That's less important, but I think it would save them lots of time and money, and more games can sell out for the reasons I just mentioned.

You are right that not all offenses are created equally, but there should be no preferential treatment and certain standards held because these guys are in fact role models. If they want others to look up to them, the least they can do is set examples when they're getting paid that much money. I didn't specify about the substances, but I meant mainly steroids and other performance enhancement drugs.

The 8-team playoff will work just fine in the MLB because the Houston Astros will be moving into the American League in 2013. Each league in baseball will have 15 teams just like they do in the NBA, so I see nothing wrong with that. For the record, most businesses do buy and rent their own buildings and most of them also pay for the construction.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 AM

811 posts, read 810,044 times
No more one and dones in college basketball either go from hs to the pros or 3 year minimum in college

Last edited by onceahogalwaysahog; 04-04-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
In most other private and independent businesses, the employees don't get paid a huge bonus starting off. They have to pay their dues. That's the case 99-percent of the time. That's why I think the same rule should apply to all athletes. None of them deserve huge contracts until they've been in the league at least 3 years. They should prove themselves first in case they turn into big busts like Vince Young and the majority of the Heisman Trophy winners.
This is one area where I will share some agreement on. However, if owners are willing to shell out the money, that is one them and none of our business.

Quote:
Also, I think the age requirement should definitely apply because someone who is 18 or 19 isn't mature enough to play on a professional level and be a leader IMHO. That's part of the reason why I think so many of them get in trouble with the law. They're young punks who think they can get away with crimes because they're immature and they were used to getting preferential treatment all their lives.
Age is nothing but a number. You dont have to be a leader to be a professional athlete. Leadership is reserved for more veteran players. You do realize that in other parts of the world that kids sign professional contracts at as young as age 12 and go live in the academy of the professional team? This has been going on longer than any of our professional sports leagues have existed and it works great. This is the reason we are not a soccer powerhouse. 18 and 19 is plenty of old enough to be a professional athlete. Do you have any idea what Lionel Messi was doing to opposing players at 19? What about LeBron? You are stereotyping above and it is very naive opinion.

Quote:
No city hosting more than one team isn't as big a deal as some of the others. I don't think there should be more than one McDonald's in either city per se, but that would be fine with me. Either that or they should be confined to a certain region of the country.
Have you ever heard of a concept called supply and demand? You should really take some economics courses so you understand why their are multiple businesses in the same market.

Quote:
The same applies to the National and American Leagues vs. the Eastern and Western Conference. That's less important, but I think it would save them lots of time and money, and more games can sell out for the reasons I just mentioned.
It's not your money so why do you care? Why break decades of tradition like that?

Quote:
You are right that not all offenses are created equally, but there should be no preferential treatment and certain standards held because these guys are in fact role models. If they want others to look up to them, the least they can do is set examples when they're getting paid that much money. I didn't specify about the substances, but I meant mainly steroids and other performance enhancement drugs.
Most athletes will tell you they dont want to be a role model. Your idea is to generalized. Each cases needs to be determined independently although consistency needs to be enforced.

Quote:
The 8-team playoff will work just fine in the MLB because the Houston Astros will be moving into the American League in 2013. Each league in baseball will have 15 teams just like they do in the NBA, so I see nothing wrong with that. For the record, most businesses do buy and rent their own buildings and most of them also pay for the construction.
Not all leagues are the same and what works for one league isnt going to work for another.

Lots of businesses get tax breaks for going to a certain community. For example, City A might woo a large corporation from City B by giving tax incentives or tax breaks. This goes on for every industry because bringing in the business to the community creates jobs and long-term tax revenue. It's an investment of sorts.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
No more one and dones in college basketball either go from hs to the pros or 3 year minimum in college
Agreed! I'll go with the latter because I personally don't think anyone is mature enough to play in the pros right out of high school, but that's just me.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
This is one area where I will share some agreement on. However, if owners are willing to shell out the money, that is one them and none of our business.

Age is nothing but a number. You dont have to be a leader to be a professional athlete. Leadership is reserved for more veteran players. You do realize that in other parts of the world that kids sign professional contracts at as young as age 12 and go live in the academy of the professional team? This has been going on longer than any of our professional sports leagues have existed and it works great. This is the reason we are not a soccer powerhouse. 18 and 19 is plenty of old enough to be a professional athlete. Do you have any idea what Lionel Messi was doing to opposing players at 19? What about LeBron? You are stereotyping above and it is very naive opinion.

Have you ever heard of a concept called supply and demand? You should really take some economics courses so you understand why their are multiple businesses in the same market.

It's not your money so why do you care? Why break decades of tradition like that?

Most athletes will tell you they dont want to be a role model. Your idea is to generalized. Each cases needs to be determined independently although consistency needs to be enforced.

Not all leagues are the same and what works for one league isnt going to work for another.

Lots of businesses get tax breaks for going to a certain community. For example, City A might woo a large corporation from City B by giving tax incentives or tax breaks. This goes on for every industry because bringing in the business to the community creates jobs and long-term tax revenue. It's an investment of sorts.
All your points are duly noted, but they ARE role models. All celebrities, politicians, and figureheads are role models by default whether they like it or not. That's why I think there should be an age limit. Yes, I know they have soccer academies all over the world. I'm well aware of Freddy Adu from Ghana playing MLS when he was only 14 and LeBron James. They're the exceptions not the norm. If age is nothing but a number, then that means there should be no legal drinking or voting age as well. It's more than just a number, believe it or not.

The reason soccer isn't as big a deal here in America has nothing to do with what you mentioned. Our culture just isn't as crazy about it. That's the same reason why American football and baseball aren't very big in Europe.

Yes, I have heard of supply and demand, and I've studied micro and macroeconomics. That's why I said cities hosting more than one teams and there being National and American Leagues vs. Eastern and Western Conferences wasn't as significant as the others. If New York and L.A. can host two teams of each sport, then power to them. I just think it's more fair that every team come from one city.

You're also right it's not my money. It's OUR money. We the viewers are the ones paying money to the owners every time we go to the games. The owner pays their salaries, and it's we the fans who also pay for all the advertisements and endorsements that big athletes get every year.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:41 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times
Bans for faking an injury on the field with intention of gaining an advantage or to cause an opposition player to be disciplined.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
All your points are duly noted, but they ARE role models. All celebrities, politicians, and figureheads are role models by default whether they like it or not. That's why I think there should be an age limit. Yes, I know they have soccer academies all over the world. I'm well aware of Freddy Adu from Ghana playing MLS when he was only 14 and LeBron James. They're the exceptions not the norm. If age is nothing but a number, then that means there should be no legal drinking or voting age as well. It's more than just a number, believe it or not.
That doesnt mean they have a responsibility to act any certain way. Parents need to parent their kids, not athlete and celebrities. Athletes need to go out and play the sports to the best of their ability. If they break the law, the police and their employer can deal with it just like any other person.

Plenty of 18 and 19 year old kids can handle being a professional athlete. When I said age is nothing but a number, I was referring to the fact that all people are different and while one person might be perfectly responsible at 19, another might not be. I have known 18 year old kids more mature than some 40 year olds I know. You dont punish a group of people because certain people their age are jackasses. I would argue that Freddy and Lebron are the rule and young athletes being jackasses like LaGarrette Blount and Maurice Claret are the few. Plenty of young athletes to go school, get good grades, and handle their responsibilities while in college. In fact, tens of thousands do it. Who is to say they wouldnt handle being a professional athlete the same way? If you have the skills to be a professional, then you have a right to be a professional no matter what age unless physical safety is an issue like in football. For example, Anthony Davis should have been playing in the NBA this year. He would have been starting on a lot of teams.

Quote:
The reason soccer isn't as big a deal here in America has nothing to do with what you mentioned. Our culture just isn't as crazy about it. That's the same reason why American football and baseball aren't very big in Europe.
I never said anything about the popularity of soccer, genius. I was referring to the skill level of players.

Quote:
Yes, I have heard of supply and demand, and I've studied micro and macroeconomics. That's why I said cities hosting more than one teams and there being National and American Leagues vs. Eastern and Western Conferences wasn't as significant as the others. If New York and L.A. can host two teams of each sport, then power to them. I just think it's more fair that every team come from one city.
If you have studied economics then why are you recommending rules that break the most fundamental principles of economics?

Quote:
You're also right it's not my money. It's OUR money. We the viewers are the ones paying money to the owners every time we go to the games. The owner pays their salaries, and it's we the fans who also pay for all the advertisements and endorsements that big athletes get every year.
Actually, it is the owner's and leagues money. You lose possession of it once you hand it over. If you dont like the way things are going, you stop purchasing the product. Again, this is basic economics.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Bans for faking an injury on the field with intention of gaining an advantage or to cause an opposition player to be disciplined.
That's when they should be suspended or fined.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Quote:
That's when they should be suspended or fined.
better still, if they fake a twisted knee than they should be held down and have their knee wrenched on a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports