Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,367 times

Advertisements

Mid South wrestling was pretty bad ass for its time. Just didnt have the money to push it along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I was a diehard Mid-South fan back in the day....anything could happen on their TV show, and usually did. Remember that match with Ric Flair and Ted DiBiase where Dick Murdoch attacked DiBiase right before the match and busted him open? That is still one of the bloodier wrestling matches I've seen [and yes that includes a lot of the hardcore stuff] and to this day I cannot believe they showed it on television.

Butch Reed was in Mid-South prior to the changeover to UWF, but he left for the WWF a few months prior. Kind of wish he had stuck around.

I didn't get to go to many house shows [we lived a little far] but the few I saw were really good...saw one of Rick Steiner's very first matches, back when he was billed as Rob Rechsteiner. The funny thing was his opponent was Nick Patrick, who went on to be "the NWO Referee."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Mid South wrestling was pretty bad ass for its time. Just didnt have the money to push it along.
I can't remember seeing to much mid south, for me it was the UWF cause of where I lived and even then only through PWI magazine did I read about them, same goes for SMW which I think Cornette ran and they had Kane under a different name. The UWF had a lot of talent back then.

I wish I could get into TNA, places like the UWF and ECW seemed to make names and had some guys come in and out, while Hogan, Sting and Bischoff are still on tv weekly. Bully Ray, really? seriously? Now Hogans daughter is showing up, WTF is that about, Bischoffs son? Retreads tore down WCW, make some new stars, and that goes for the WWE as well.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:22 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,367 times
Thr rise of WWE was the fall of pro wrestling as we know it in this country.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
WWF made wrestling about personalities, I know about gorgeous George back in the day and the original Naitch Buddy Rogers, but since the WWE got huge you're right it has wrecked wrestling. Even ECW played a part with tables and chairs to cover up their wrestlers inability to carry on a match, some of my favorite matches though we're in the '90s in WCW with the cruiser weights, like Malenko, Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Jushin Liger, Benoit, Rey Mysterio etc.

I think that's when Benoit had a best of 7 with Booker T and those matches were awesome.

But don't get me wrong the Rock's stuff on the mic was hysterical, so was Austin's, but now to be a star you have to be good on the mic and that seems to kill top guys, Dolph "spirit squad" Ziggler takes some of the worst bumps and he I think should get a push, so should Swagger, I know he's a former champ but now he's seems like a stepping stone for guys Brodus Clay.

As for what's going on right now, I would have had Cena beat the Rock at wrestle mania, then lose to Lesnar, and then beat Laurunitis, love him or hate him Cena that is, he does so much good for kids, he's never left and he can have a decent match with anybody, but I think he needs to turn heel as his character is getting old.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
If anyone wants to find some crazy stories about Meng, just look it up.That dude was one legit badass, even much so that Bischoff was scared to death to fire him, he bit off some dudes nose in a fight and it's been said that Andre was only afraid of two people, Meng and Harley Race.

I also heard Bad News Brown was on that list.....I mean the guy was a Judo champ and olympic competitor..so he could really fight (Bad news) lol

Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM

you guys ever see the "shoot" interviews on youtube..some good stuff about real stories and what happen behind the scenes.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Yeah i wish there was more behind the scenes stuff as its interesting to see these wrestlers out of character, if you could post some links it would be appreciated.
On a side note does any one actually watch the wrestling any more ? i just like watching the storylines and the talk segments as the actual wrestling has become just the same old stuff i was watching back in the 60's..
In fact on a regular 2 hour RAW show theres only about 20 minutes of actual wrestling.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,106 times
I watch ever Monday and most Fridays, mostly out of routine. SmackDown has the most action, of course, but RAW has the most plot development.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:58 PM

What do you guys think about story lines like this?
Pro-Wrestling League Sends Gay-Wedding Storyline Into The Ring / Queerty

should politics be left out of wrestling? have they gone to far? or is it all fare game and they are just doing what WWf did in the 80s with Adrian Adonis?

Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Bad news brown shoot interview on Andre

Bad News Brown on Andre - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports