U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,402,938 times

Advertisements

The current WWE has been down some years. Really, ever since the deaths of Eddie and Chris Benoit, it started to sink. Then came into this "PG Era" which sucks.

It seems that since The Rock showed up last year, they're getting back that certain level of excitement you get when watching that was lost. Storylines are gettin better and the Superstars are showing some of there best. And alot of indie wrestlers are finally getting their time in the spotlight.

Problem still is the crowd. Like, this past WM crowd was great and the Monday Night that followed was equal to it. The British crowd was fun too, but the Monday Night crowd in between was just about the same as any other during this era, which is thankfully changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 PM

4,648 posts, read 6,014,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Trailer park morality play or is there actually some 'there' there?
What does this even mean?

Pro wrestling, at the highest level, has been downhill since the collapse of WCW and ECW. Competition spurs creativity and with nothing to prove Vince can provide a lackluster product. He's retreated deep into his obsession of steroid built bodies and remains biased against gimmicks he did not create.

I've only watched a handful of WWF events in the past decade. All were garbage. He does employ a few shining wrestlers like CM Punk, Danielson and del Rio.

I still like watching old ECW and NJPW & AJPW stuff on YouTube.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Wrestling isnt for every one and it sounds like you arent a fan Bondurant.
Have no idea what the op's statement was meant to say but for me it was an excuse to talk about wrestling.
And yeah some of the story lines can get a bit stale but then some get rather good, i'm liking the renewed Kane Character, and the sucess finally coming to Santino Marella, The Punk and Jericho storyline is interesting..

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 AM

4,648 posts, read 6,014,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wrestling isnt for every one and it sounds like you arent a fan Bondurant.
If someone mentions All Japan, New Japan and ECW, you think they are not a fan of wrasslin'?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,402,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
If someone mentions All Japan, New Japan and ECW, you think they are not a fan of wrasslin'?
Someone who's NOT a real wrasslin' fan:

- LOVES John Cena and thinks he's on the same level of The Rock, Stone Cold, Hogan, Warrior, or anyone else as big as those names....
- Couldn't point out who "K-Quick" is today.
- Hears someone say "The Corporation" and "Minestry of Darkness", and have no clue what you're talking about.
- Is shocked to know that Ken Shamrock was appart of the roster at one point.
- Thinks "Piper's Pit" is a finishing move.
- Knows not what you're talking about when someone says "Black and White vs. Black and Red"
- Never seen Sting without the facepaint.
- Thinks D-X was ONLY made of HHH and HBK.
- Can't tell you what a beer bath is.
- Sees tacks, barbed wire, glass.... and can only think of tacks, barbed wire, and glass
- Would say that the Diamond Cutter is a ripoff of an RKO.
- Thinks that Tazz, Booker T, and Jerry Lawler were never big names in the ring.
- Does not know ECW's old theme, owner, or most recognized venue.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 AM

5,337 posts, read 3,951,931 times
At the risk of loosing all my wrasslin' cred...

- LOVES John Cena and thinks he's on the same level of The Rock, Stone Cold, Hogan, Warrior, or anyone else as big as those names.... I think Cena is as big in the Pop Culture scene..

- Couldn't point out who "K-Quick" is today. I can't!
- Hears someone say "The Corporation" and "Minestry of Darkness", and have no clue what you're talking about. NO CLUE.
- Is shocked to know that Ken Shamrock was appart of the roster at one point. I remember Shamrock was terrible in the ring and even worse on the mic..
- Thinks "Piper's Pit" is a finishing move. Roddy ??
- Knows not what you're talking about when someone says "Black and White vs. Black and Red" NWO ??
- Never seen Sting without the facepaint. I dont' remember seeing STING in the ring without his paint but i did see a very good documentary on him.. does that count?
- Thinks D-X was ONLY made of HHH and HBK. Who can forget CHYNA!
- Can't tell you what a beer bath is. I could guess...
- Sees tacks, barbed wire, glass.... and can only think of tacks, barbed wire, and glass. I think of Mankind.. or Dude Love.
- Would say that the Diamond Cutter is a ripoff of an RKO. Dallas Page.
- Thinks that Tazz, Booker T, and Jerry Lawler were never big names in the ring. Not exactly sure who Taxx is but Booker T always reminded me of Tony Atlas and I grew up watching the King wrestle out of Nashvill/Memphis.
- Does not know ECW's old theme, owner, or most recognized venue. no clue.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:34 AM

10,323 posts, read 12,409,777 times
Default Wrestling...

It is scripted sports entertainment, With true athletes. The lifestyle of a high drawing superstar is not easy, With long days on the road and injuries that take a toll. It can be exiting with interesting plots and situations ranging from the dramatic to the comical. I have watched it on and off for about 25 years. The difference now Vs. The 80's "Golden days" is that it is more "Adult" now. yesterdays story-lines, characters and the like was more family friendly. The wrestlers could be compared (And even dressed like) Superheroes with an emphasis on being positive role models. There was less violence it seemed also. No barbed wire, Elimination chamber etc. Today's world it has in a lot of cases real life infidelities and situations incorporated, More skin shown and the like of the female wrestlers and more violence. Though this can be said for all TV and media as well so it simply evolved. I watch WWE and Impact! wrestling once in a while and find some of it entertaining. Just watch if you choose and take it at face value or just change the channel.

I grew up on Hulk hogan, Warrior and the Undertaker and seeing them still going is always great.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,999,503 times
My first stint was around the Hulk Hogan era in WWF. I watched non-stop, up until the point he lost to the ultimate warrior, then i dropped it. Its not that i distinctly followed Hulk, i liked a lot of other WWF wrestlers at the time.

My second stint was WCW when NWO formed and continued on when WCW and WWF were battling it out in the ratings. Those were the glory years for me. I remember cutting back when WCW was bought, Monday night RAW moved away from USA.

I tried watching wrestling a couple times but couldn't get back into it. I was just bored with the story lines and the interviews. But, I'll jump at any change to watch Wrestlemania live!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 AM

10,323 posts, read 12,409,777 times
Default Bloopers and gimmicks.

Sometimes, Gimmicks and scripts have gone awry and caused hilarity. Anyone remember the Shockmaster incident with Fred Ottman? (Aka Tugboat). Ottman was introducing a new gimmick where he wore a Stormtrooper helmet painted in glitter and was supposed to crash through the wall in dramatic fashion. He broke through the will but fell over a piece of wood accidentally left there by Jim Cornette and fell and the helmet came off. Flair audibly exclaimed "Oh god" and when he got the helmet back on and walked up to Harlem heat, Arn Anderson and Flair it could be seen they were struggling not to laugh.

Perry Saturn being in love with a mop was awful, As was the Katie vick controversy in WWE. Also, "Pillman's got a gun" segment.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
I'd love to see a show of wrestling's greatest bloopers..

As for the choreography i remember watching a wrestling documentary a few years ago and was amazed at the depth of the choreography that goes into every match,every move is practiced over and over,theres nothing spontaneous or unexpected in most wrestling matches..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports