U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,821,358 times

Advertisements

I grew up a fan as a child and saw names like Andre the Giant, Bob Backlund, Mil Mascaras, Gorilla Monsoon, Ernie Ladd and many more. As a child of the 70's it was fun. As I got a little older the storylines became too repetitive and I stopped watching in the 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 PM
JJG

12,900 posts, read 18,415,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Lesnar works better as a heel i think, Just has that persona.
Yeah, but I'm sick of the whole "Superhero Cena" thing....

Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM

33,141 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Was that it for Lesnar? cant see him coming back after breaking hhh's arm, but hey its wrestling lets see where the story line goes..

Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,223,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I grew up a fan as a child and saw names like Andre the Giant, Bob Backlund, Mil Mascaras, Gorilla Monsoon, Ernie Ladd and many more. As a child of the 70's it was fun. As I got a little older the storylines became too repetitive and I stopped watching in the 90's.
I would watch it back when I was a kid. I enjoyed watching the 1 hour show each Saturday, usually having guys like the Ox, Strongbow or Skoaland on the card. All of the matches were very one sided, just setting up live events for later in the month.

My dad took me to one of the live events in our hometown of Philadelphia, and we had a great time. He played up the good guy and bad guy routines, to make it more real for me. Lot's of yelling from the fans. The feature match was a tag team event I even remember to this day, Monsoon and Kowalski against Sammartino and Brazil.

About 25-30 years later, I decided to do this for my sons too. I took them to the Capital Center in Washington DC, when they were about 7 and 9 years old. Like my dad, I played up the good guy and bad guy angles, and the kids just ate it up. They were yelling like I've never seen them, and even now, nearly 25 years later, they still say it was one of their best childhood memories.

Special mention to old heel Don Muraco. He had a match against either Tito Santana or Ricky Steamboat and did an outstanding job, as always. As it turns out, one of the wrestlers didn't make the show and Muraco ended up coming out about 1/2 hour later and participated in a tag team match (I think he was with Bob Orton, against the British Bulldogs). He obviously was really tired, and the other guys did things to allow him to catch his breath. But as time went on he put on yet another great show. I gained a lot of respect for how durable these guys really are.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,212,743 times
I never liked it, never got into it even when it was huge. That being said, I don't have any problems with it. Those guys are entertainers, nothing more. They are probably having a really good time in the process.

I find it stupid for someone to get upset over the wresting on tv, yet go out and watch action movies. Movies aren't real, people aren't actually fighting nor is anyone dying. It is one in the same, you are watching it for what you see and the storyline.

Don't hate on someone else for it, even if you find it stupid.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM
JJG

12,900 posts, read 18,415,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I never liked it, never got into it even when it was huge. That being said, I don't have any problems with it. Those guys are entertainers, nothing more. They are probably having a really good time in the process.

I find it stupid for someone to get upset over the wresting on tv, yet go out and watch action movies. Movies aren't real, people aren't actually fighting nor is anyone dying. It is one in the same, you are watching it for what you see and the storyline.

Don't hate on someone else for it, even if you find it stupid

It's like, no one seems to get that....

Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 PM

3,569 posts, read 5,772,844 times
Wrestling is like a dance.
It's all rehearsed, but it's fun to watch

Old 05-05-2012, 07:16 AM

4,636 posts, read 3,730,638 times
it is entertainment, a soap opera, meoldrama, even a socio-cultural commentary for those who wish to look at the deeper underlying mythological symbolism.

It is dangerous, a very hard way to make a living, and I have observed that wrestlers are a tight -knit very close family partially as a result.

Sport or entertainment? Pure entertainment. Consider this: If for some reason, the Cardnials played a baseball game and for some bizarre reason, no one showed up to watch, the game would still go down in the stats and still count in the standings. If they won, then, it would still be a win. If a wrestling card were held and for some unexplained reason , no one showed up to watch, then the card would be a total failure. Regardless of the outcome. The only "Loss" would be the lack of money, and the lack of the esoteric entertainment wasted on absent eyes.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Ya gotta love the Funkasaurus..

BRODUS CLAY RETURNS! - WWE RAW 1/9/12 - YouTube

Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Paul Heyman on Raw saying Lesner has quit and wont be back? that could only mean one thing.Lesnar hasnt quit and will be back very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports