Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 12:46 PM

574 posts, read 377,026 times

Advertisements

They should change the name to "grunt/whack". Player grunts and hits the ball over the net and the other player grunts and hits the ball over the net also. Whoever made up the scoring system was trying to be cute but now they are stuck with the stupidest scoring in sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 03:34 PM

77 posts, read 35,341 times
grunt if you put sound sensitive mics on nfl stadium that can hear everything omg grunting on that field put tennis players to shame

Old 01-23-2022, 05:39 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
What makes tennis so great is that it's very unpredictable. It ain't like hockey and basketball where if a team is significantly trailing behind, you know they are going to lose. Since it's an individual sport, some tennis players strategize, raise their levels and make comebacks you've never thought possible. A tennis match ain't over till it's over...

Old 01-23-2022, 06:30 PM

35,065 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
What makes tennis so great is that it's very unpredictable. It ain't like hockey and basketball where if a team is significantly trailing behind, you know they are going to lose. Since it's an individual sport, some tennis players strategize, raise their levels and make comebacks you've never thought possible. A tennis match ain't over till it's over...
Tell me about it; I was up 5-1 on a scorching day back in 1991. My wife and mother (we'd been married about three months) were watching. The other guy beat me 7-5. Basically I choked.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Tell me about it; I was up 5-1 on a scorching day back in 1991. My wife and mother (we'd been married about three months) were watching. The other guy beat me 7-5. Basically I choked.
If you watched the semi-final between Kontaveit vs. Krejcikova at Sydney a couple of weeks ago, Kontaveit won the first set at 6-0. When you see a first set win like that, it would be tempting to shut off the TV and declare Kontaveit the winner. And I almost did that. But nope, Krejcikova made a comeback with 6-4 in the second set and 7-6 on the third. So Kontaveit ended up losing! I was so floored by that match!

Old 01-24-2022, 11:57 AM

1,601 posts, read 867,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
They should change the name to "grunt/whack". Player grunts and hits the ball over the net and the other player grunts and hits the ball over the net also. Whoever made up the scoring system was trying to be cute but now they are stuck with the stupidest scoring in sports.

That made me laugh out loud, because for a long time I used to refer to basketball as "squeak, squeak...two points."

I appreciate basketball a little more than I did then, after attending a few college games live. Still don't care for BB on TV and the NBA can go stuff itself for having politically obnoxious players and snuggling up to China constantly.

As for tennis, man it was HUGE in the 80's. Very much a status symbol for wealthy people to have a court of their own, and POAs always had courts in addition to pools. I think there is some truth to the idea (asserted earlier in this thread) that as overall fitness level went down in American, interest in tennis went down. When I was in college in the early 90s, I tried playing a little recreationally but I was just too big and it was very hard on my joints so I went back to long walks and weight lifting for exercise. Tennis would literally kill me now.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:53 AM

10,760 posts, read 4,346,172 times
Tennis has the best scoring system in all of sports, because you can't run-out-the-clock. You have to play like a champion to the very end, or you are leaving the door open for your opponent turning it around and taking advantage of your defensive play (if the opponent is good enough to hit the winners).

Tennis is a sport for the mentally tough. Whereas even boxing allows you to run-out-the-clock (if you lead on the scorecard and then don't want to take risks in the final rounds), so you can have a fighter who is literally scared to death of their opponent, and they still could beat that opponent by running around the ring for half the fight....

And then you have a team sport like basketball where even the best players in the team can be mentally weak and rely on their teammates to bail them out in the final minutes.... For example an all-star player who can't make free-throws.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:36 AM

361 posts, read 259,053 times
If Americans haven't lost all interest in compelling worldwide stories, this might help:
https://about.netflix.com/en/news/ne...ens-pro-tennis
Quote:
"Tennis is beloved all over the world, with high-stakes tournaments hopping across continents and athletes hailing from countless countries. Through this historic partnership with the four Grand Slam tournaments, the ATP Tour, WTA Tour, and ATP Media, the series will be packed with rare access and rich personal stories that are sure to draw in longtime fans and new audiences alike."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
But players like Nadal and Federer are pretty recognizable and household names, even though they have a non-US passport.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Tennis has the best scoring system in all of sports, because you can't run-out-the-clock. You have to play like a champion to the very end, or you are leaving the door open for your opponent turning it around and taking advantage of your defensive play (if the opponent is good enough to hit the winners).
I really wonder if some players who play well in the beginning of a match end up feeling overconfident and as a result, they lower their level of playing and don't try as hard. Because it really makes you wonder how matches can turn around! Like that final match between Nadal and Medvedev! How did that happen? Medvedev had it! He won the first two sets! So maybe he was like, "oh yeah, I'm the man!" and then lowered his effort, while Nadal put in more effort. And as a result, Nadal made a big comeback and won!

Old 02-02-2022, 02:09 PM

77 posts, read 35,341 times
tennis and other world sports are not like american sport that excaudate everything i mean if tennis would be go around going telling us how players are 1 billion worth or other b.s.
CASE IN POINT sale of denver broncos i mean 4 billion dollars and they would give them 3 billion tax cuts so that club is only worth 1 billion but nfl will tell us they are worth 4 billion in what world lol. most propaganda filled league in world nfl. they constantly lie they are worth 5 billion and then they include tv right that is only 350 million a year call their stadiums always 2-3 billion worth they market is onlu usa and on top maybe 10-15 million fans strong some way less and they worth 4 billion a year lol. come on if tennis would lie as much as nfl tennis could say they are the bigest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports