Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM

26,872 posts, read 43,362,269 times

Advertisements

Just a theory but it seems that Americans have completely checked out of competitive tennis in recent years as the requisite new generation of stars hasn't happened. It seems the demographic that has largely turned out as our tennis greats seems more content with texting/social networking than being outside playing tennis. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,109,778 times
Maybe the trend is world wide?

Maybe the idea of hitting/catching/swatting/kicking balls of various sizes is becoming less interesting.

Other things are a lot more interesting and rewarding to do.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

66 posts, read 130,385 times
Disagree. I think Tennis is doing well it is just that we don't have any great American Players right now.
Think about this. If you have a daughter who is athletically gifted and you want her to make money doing it, what sport should you choose? Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball? No way, she won't ever make a dime doing any of those sports even if she is right at the top. On the other hand a top 50 female tennis player who is nice looking as well can make a lot of money. Beach Volleyball and Golf are two other options but I think Tennis pays better and that is a powerful incentive if you live in Serbia or Russia etc.
Having said that Tennis suffers from poor coaching and it is climate dependent.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,447,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Just a theory but it seems that Americans have completely checked out of competitive tennis in recent years as the requisite new generation of stars hasn't happened. It seems the demographic that has largely turned out as our tennis greats seems more content with texting/social networking than being outside playing tennis. Thoughts?
I don't think texting is what killed American tennis, lol.

And we just had a long dominance by the Williams sisters. I assume you are only talking about the male side of the draw?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 AM

26,872 posts, read 43,362,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I don't think texting is what killed American tennis, lol.

And we just had a long dominance by the Williams sisters. I assume you are only talking about the male side of the draw?
I'm not saying just texting, rather technology in general. Many kids I know seemingly want to just sit inside and play X-Box, etc. versus being outside. The Williams sisters had dominated but where are the other Americans? Meanwhile a country the size of Russia is popping out one star after another.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile a country the size of Russia is popping out one star after another.
Right? Russia is tiny, I can't even find it on a map.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 PM

All kidding aside, I grew up playing tennis...Was pretty decent and played on a collegiate level (it was a small school). I saw kids growing up that were being groomed to go pro...Tennis is a game you have to start EARLY. I would say the coddling nature of todays parent is much more responsible for the lack of American Male tennis pros. Not too many parents in our society would push their kid to the absolute limit, from the age of 4, to perfect a craft like that.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:26 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,205,511 times
Honestly, when you listen to Maria Sharapova talk in interviews or on TV shows she might as well be American because she speaks with absolutely no accent. Many of the top foreign players live primarily in the United States.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:47 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,244,989 times
Quote:
Golf and tennis are similar/parallel - technology seems to be taking over, taking away a lot of the finesse skill involved with both sports.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM

18,439 posts, read 18,569,329 times
Dont know why the US doesnt have good players now.. its a big money game. our own Scottish Andy Murray is doing ok.. fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports