U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 AM

17,585 posts, read 10,048,496 times

Advertisements

He's playing for a seventh Wimbledon title (8th Final) and a 17th Major, which is amazing at the ripe old tennis age of 31 (30 years, 11 months, 6 days to be precise) . If he wins on Sunday, he will be ranked No. 1 in the world (again) and he will tie Pete Sampras for the total number of weeks at the top spot (and likely surpass Pete). Sampras' last major came in 2002 just after his 31st birthday and he had fallen out of the Top 20 by that time (possibly Top 50, but I'll have to fact check that). Federer is approximately the same age but still on top of the tennis world.

You have to go all the way back to 2004 to find the last time Federer did not make it to a Grand Slam Quarterfinal. That's simply incredible. You can cite multiple Nadal early round exits since he's hit his prime (including a Soderling butt-kicking in 2009, a Mikhail Youzhny butt-kicking in 2005, and this latest butt-kicking in the 2nd Round at the All England Club). Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe, Connors were never as consistent as Roger. Even Borg lost in the 4th Round at the US Open in 1977.

Fed also made it to 8 straight GS Finals (17/18 GS Finals). His only hiccup was a loss to Novak in the Australian SF back in 2008 (and he had mono then).

He's also posted the best single season record (81-4) since John McEnroe in 1984 (82-3).

Congrats to Roger! We may never see someone like him again in our lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:14 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,591,756 times
He's extremely good all right, but I don't ever want to see another like him in my lifetime. More competitive matches please.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:21 PM

3,539 posts, read 1,953,184 times
In all honesty, Sampras' dominance impresses me more than Federer's simply because of the competition factor. There's few guys around now imo that match up to guys like Jim Courier, Becker, Agassi, Edberg. Certainly Nadal and Djokovic are in that class but overall I feel the men's tennis field featured greater completion in Sampras' era. Which is not to say Federer would be chopped meat back then, he's supremely gifted and that would have translated to any era. I do feel though, that Sampras had a better combination of skill and power, especially that booming serve, and an edge in mental toughness.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,180,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
He's extremely good all right, but I don't ever want to see another like him in my lifetime. More competitive matches please.

this past ten years has been a golden era for mens tennis and the best since the seventies , nadal and djokovic are equals to federer

Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,180,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
In all honesty, Sampras' dominance impresses me more than Federer's simply because of the competition factor. There's few guys around now imo that match up to guys like Jim Courier, Becker, Agassi, Edberg. Certainly Nadal and Djokovic are in that class but overall I feel the men's tennis field featured greater completion in Sampras' era. Which is not to say Federer would be chopped meat back then, he's supremely gifted and that would have translated to any era. I do feel though, that Sampras had a better combination of skill and power, especially that booming serve, and an edge in mental toughness.

none of sampras,s rivals come close to nadal and djokovic in terms of talent and ability , i hated sampras as a player ( most boring guy who ever lived ) and was delighted when he retired

Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
none of sampras,s rivals come close to nadal and djokovic in terms of talent and ability , i hated sampras as a player ( most boring guy who ever lived ) and was delighted when he retired
Debatable, but even if true, thats just two guys. There were more quality players in Sampras' era, and i didnt even mention guys like Rafter, ivanisevic, Chang earlier. In the Serena thread I started you posted that the Williams sister came during a weak era in women's tennis. If youre being fair you'll acknowledge that Federer has played in a relatively inferior era to what Sampras played in, and no just having two great rivals in Djokovic and Nadal does not mean its a great era.

As far as boring goes, assumimg you mean personality, i dont see what relevance it has to ability but Federer doesnt exactly have an exciting personality either. I get it, you dont like the guy but talking about his personality is irrelevant to the discussion.

Last edited by Roman77; 07-08-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
this past ten years has been a golden era for mens tennis and the best since the seventies , nadal and djokovic are equals to federer
Golden era on the basis of what? 3 great players? The current era isnt as deep as 80s or 90s in terms of quality players.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 PM

17,585 posts, read 10,048,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'm a huge Sampras fan, but his competition was not tougher than Federer's. People just tend to think that Federer's contemporaries (David Nabaldian, Marcos Baghdatis, Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Murray, etc.) are not that good because he dominates them. They're still strong players and would be considered great if not greater players than Courier (4 slams), Chang (1 slam), Rafter (2 slams) had Federer not been on the scene. Courier et al. should consider themselves lucky that Federer and Nadal did not play in their era because they'd have ZERO titles if that were the case. Does anybody seriously think that Jim Courier would win more than 5 total games against Nadal on a clay court???

The big difference between Pete Sampras and Roger Federer is consistency. Pete struggled against some pretty mediocre players over the course of his career. He was dismissed from the US Open in the 4th Round by Jaime Yzaga in 1994. He lost in the 1st Round of the French to Gilbert Schaller in 1995. Then to Phillipoussis in the 3rd Round of the Aussie in 1996. Then to Petrk Korda in the 4th Round of the US Open in 1997. Pete's early dismissal at the hands of no-names in majors and Super 9 tourneys is too long to list. Pete either brough his A+ game or his D- game. He often brought his D- game to big tournaments (with the exception of Wimbledon).

Federer, on the other hand, plays at a high level consistently (against stronger competition, I might add). He's never injured. And he ALWAYS makes it into Week 2 of the draw at majors. ALWAYS. Then he performs well outside of the majors as well. He's already racked up more singles titles than Pete Sampras did (in fewer matches, I believe).

If we want to compare their games, I still think Federer is better. Sampras, no doubt, had the greatest single shot in the history of the sport (his serve). But here's the thing about Roger: he's a big server AND he's one of the top RETURNERS of all time. This means you're under constant pressure against Fed. With Sampras, he was bound to give you a flurry of free points with misfired forehands, framed backhands, and chipped returns into the net. With Roger, you're getting absolutely nothing free. You can be serving 130+ and 60% on your first serve and Fed's still hitting good returns off your serves. He's in EVERY single point. So he's able to apply pressure at all times.

Think of Nadal and Federer as trying to hold up a crumbling brick wall. You can try but eventually the weight gets to be too much and the wall collapses on you. Nadal and Federer fight ferociously for every point and they just wear you down after a while. Pete and Andre were nothing like that. They were prone to take a game off here, a set off there, and in Andre's case, a year or two off here and there.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:26 PM

506 posts, read 432,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nadal and Federer fight ferociously for every point and they just wear you down after a while. Pete and Andre were nothing like that. They were prone to take a game off here, a set off there, and in Andre's case, a year or two off here and there.
Why are you leaving Djokovic out of the picture?

Old 07-08-2012, 01:27 PM

6,791 posts, read 3,137,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He's playing for a seventh Wimbledon title (8th Final) and a 17th Major, which is amazing at the ripe old tennis age of 31 (30 years, 11 months, 6 days to be precise) . If he wins on Sunday, he will be ranked No. 1 in the world (again) and he will tie Pete Sampras for the total number of weeks at the top spot (and likely surpass Pete). Sampras' last major came in 2002 just after his 31st birthday and he had fallen out of the Top 20 by that time (possibly Top 50, but I'll have to fact check that). Federer is approximately the same age but still on top of the tennis world.

You have to go all the way back to 2004 to find the last time Federer did not make it to a Grand Slam Quarterfinal. That's simply incredible. You can cite multiple Nadal early round exits since he's hit his prime (including a Soderling butt-kicking in 2009, a Mikhail Youzhny butt-kicking in 2005, and this latest butt-kicking in the 2nd Round at the All England Club). Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe, Connors were never as consistent as Roger. Even Borg lost in the 4th Round at the US Open in 1977.

Fed also made it to 8 straight GS Finals (17/18 GS Finals). His only hiccup was a loss to Novak in the Australian SF back in 2008 (and he had mono then).

He's also posted the best single season record (81-4) since John McEnroe in 1984 (82-3).

Congrats to Roger! We may never see someone like him again in our lifetime.
Isn't it just amazing? He is the greatest & watching him can be addicting, at least for me it is
There's something magical about watching Federer in action....He is a legend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports