Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM

506 posts, read 1,158,370 times

Advertisements

They keep saying how Murray is a complete player and it's just a matter of time that he will win a Grand Slam. The fact is I think it's highly unlikely as long as the top three are around, because Murray would have to beat two of them to win. He had a great unique opportunity to do so in Wimbledon (a rare occation because Nadal was out very early) but he failed.

Now, let's talk about Tsonga. There is not much about him being a complete player. Remember, he almost beat Djokovic few weeks ago. He has GREAT forehand, great serve, and very athletic. I think his only weakness and it was THAT weakness that he lose to Murray in Wimbledon semi; it was his back hand.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,966,952 times
Tsonga is missing the ability to put it all together over the course of an entire two weeks. He kind of reminds me of Djokovic a few years ago. He seemingly has all the assets he just can't put it all together consistently. To be honest I think he can be a better overall player than Andy Murray.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,218,350 times
Jo-Wilfred Tsonga's biggest weakness might be the six inches between his ears. He just has a hard time playing consistently, though he's shown signs this year that might be changing. He's a hell of a player when he's on though and literally can beat anybody when he is on, except the Big 3 when any of them have brought their A+ game or when any of them have brought their A game on their best surface (or in Nadal's case, as low as his A- game on clay, which is Tsonga's weakest surface).

Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Jo-Wilfred Tsonga's biggest weakness might be the six inches between his ears. He just has a hard time playing consistently, though he's shown signs this year that might be changing. He's a hell of a player when he's on though and literally can beat anybody when he is on, except the Big 3 when any of them have brought their A+ game or when any of them have brought their A game on their best surface (or in Nadal's case, as low as his A- game on clay, which is Tsonga's weakest surface).
I thought you said the six inches between his legs.

So, basically what you're saying is that he is not that smart or play smart?

Last edited by sunset2000; 07-10-2012 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,966,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post

I think he's just saying that mentally sometimes he over thinks things and loses focus. Kind of reminds of Novak Djokovic pre-2011. All the tools, but mentally sometimes he would lose it.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,215,564 times
What's Tsonga Missing?

His nuts.

Seriously though, I think he has all the tools necessary, I just don't think he uses them effectively, like NGA says. The mind can be a terrible thing.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
What's Tsonga Missing?

His nuts.

I think he has all the tools necessary, I just don't think he uses them effectively.
Your way of saying it just sounds dirty.

You guys keep talk about his mental ability, but what about his back hand. It's weak. Murray knew it and attacked it again and again.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,218,350 times
Quote:

Neither. What I'm saying is Tsonga can play very inconsistently sometimes (heck, sometimes within the same game of a set) and I'm guessing that's due to lack of focus at times. I think having a lack of focus is clearly a mental thing.

He obviously isn't the first player with very good talent to play inconsistently; some really good players, even great players (like Andre Agassi), have been very inconsistent on a within-the-match, match-to-match, tournament-to-tournament, and/or year-to-year basis. I'd like to see Tsonga play more consistently at the high level he's shown he can reach because I think the guy has the ability to win a Grand Slam event if he does.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,215,564 times
Quote:
Your way of saying it just sounds dirty.

You guys keep talk about his mental ability, but what about his back hand. It's weak. Murray knew it and attacked it again and again.
Not sure if you got my meaning on the first part. Did you see the Murray vs. Tsonga Wimbledon match?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Not sure if you got my meaning on the first part. Did you see the Murray vs. Tsonga Wimbledon match?

Yes, Tsonga got out-played by Murray. Period.

I am not sure what you mean on your first part, because you talked about Tsonga's "six inch between his...." and "his nuts" and "he's not using his tools effectively."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports