U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 PM

16,433 posts, read 9,595,124 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is the same at all. After all, over the past hundreds of thousands of years nature has pretty much gotten rid of ugliness via selection. When I walk through the pedestrian zone, I see lots of beautiful people but hardly any if any ugly people. Nature has always preferred beautiful people, that's why an insult is not the same as a compliment. When you tell someone they are ugly, it is not just the opposite of telling someone they are beautiful, it is an utterance of much greater amplitude as there are so few ugly people and nobody wants to be one of them. When you tell someone they are beautiful, it doesn't really mean much as there are so many beautiful people and they know it.
After all, beauty is not at all just subjective, studies have shown that it can be objectively evaluated and that there is a kind of standard in society that almost all of society agrees on without even knowing it.
That old beholder saying is a myth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,885,028 times
Lets get back to the hot tennis players!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:53 PM

10,455 posts, read 8,459,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lets get back to the hot tennis players!
Bar Refaeli

Bar Refaeli playing tennis in underwear - under.me Promo Commercial - YouTube

Old 08-09-2012, 04:09 PM

2,490 posts, read 1,270,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
beauty is not at all just subjective, studies have shown that it can be objectively evaluated
Show us a credible study saying this, in other words prove it please...

Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 PM

506 posts, read 432,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Does it really take a scientist to prove that Anna and Maria are more beautiful than the William sisters?

Does it really take a chef to say that steak tastes better than mud?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
Does it really take a scientist to prove that Anna and Maria are more beautiful than the William sisters?

Does it really take a chef to say that steak tastes better than mud?
That's not what I am questioning... Learn to read before jumping into the middle of a convo.

I said the Williams sisters were ugly...

Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Credible, well, you won't believe what you don't want to believe, anyway. Still, feel free to read this:
Secrets of Beauty and Attractiveness Revealed

There are quite a number of scientific studies on beauty, they all come to similar results.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Credible, well, you won't believe what you don't want to believe, anyway. Still, feel free to read this:
Secrets of Beauty and Attractiveness Revealed

There are quite a number of scientific studies on beauty, they all come to similar results.
This study does not prove that beauty is not in the eye of the beholder... It proves that attractivev people like each other. that they make more money... It doesn't prove that beauty is NOT subjective, which is what you claim. Beautify is not measurable or quantitative. It is subjective. Your environment, your morals, your own ideaology shapes your view of beauty. Therefore by contrast it shapes your idea of ugly. Which to circle back to my original point... The Williams sisters are ugly no matter what studies you have. Period.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM

16,448 posts, read 10,800,157 times
Quote:

I said the Williams sisters were ugly...
I always thought Serena was attractive.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
This study does not prove that beauty is not in the eye of the beholder... It proves that attractivev people like each other. that they make more money... It doesn't prove that beauty is NOT subjective, which is what you claim. Beautify is not measurable or quantitative. It is subjective. Your environment, your morals, your own ideaology shapes your view of beauty. Therefore by contrast it shapes your idea of ugly. Which to circle back to my original point... The Williams sisters are ugly no matter what studies you have. Period.
I wonder if you even read the entire link, or read and understood it They say exactly what you say they don't say

And no matter how often you repeat it, your thinking the Williams sisters are ugly is just your opinion, nothing more. There are always some people whose tastes (whether true or for whatever reason just pretended) are outside the norm, but they don't change the norm, the standard perception and verdict of society as a whole. The Williams sisters are certainly not nearly as beautiful as Gabrielle Union, but that doesn't mean they are ugly, they are average.

Of course it is not their fault, but some disfigured people are pretty much the only ugly people I have seen. For many people ugly people are hard to look at, and they make you feel like you don't want to be seen together with them, they make you feel uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports