Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times

Advertisements

The Olympics has become too commercialized for my liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:40 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
It's horrible. I don't understand why NBC and all the other channels need to show a swimming event on primetime when the result was conducted 6 hours prior. It makes primetime viewing pointless to watch. I watch whats live during the day, live the results & schedule page on the computer to update throughout the day, than at 7 or 8 or whenever live coverage ends I catch on the dvr from what I pissed during the day since I already saw (either on the computer or on TV) what their going to show during primetime.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
How can you have adverts at an olympics? The sport is non stop from 8am till 11pm!

Old 07-30-2012, 03:14 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
How can you have adverts at an olympics? The sport is non stop from 8am till 11pm!
It makes it easier to get off the couch and get potato chips if there is a break.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Not so happy with the coverage. Sometimes I forget it's an international competition because they mostly just show the U.S. teams. I want to see all the teams compete and not just the U.S.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Not so happy with the coverage. Sometimes I forget it's an international competition because they mostly just show the U.S. teams. I want to see all the teams compete and not just the U.S.

This is what I posted on another thread: "I want NBC and the other Olympic channels to show more table tennis (ping pong) and Badminton. Just because nobody in the US watches it doesn't mean you should only show it when an American is playing. Some of those Chinese vs. Chinese or Chinese vs. Korean matches are the best because those countries are the best in those 2 sports."

I know NBC is an American channel, but the Olympics is an international event. Why are we showing the medal ceramony in swimming and listening to the star spangled banner while another swimming event is going on that were missing??

Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
I watched every single swimming contest today on the BBC, and Britain was in contention for a medal in the gymnastics today (they won silver but later demoted to bronze for some weird reason) but the bbc was showing all of the teams even while Britain was competing. and you never see the commentators just hear them so you see all the action they also have 20 odd channels so you can watch what you like.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
it is a disaster. much worse than what i saw in china.
If by "disaster" you mean that this morning I was able to watch: field hockey, water polo, team handball, volleyball, basketball, shooting, weight lifting, table tennis, boxing, and every soccer match played yesterday (as today is a down day for soccer), then yes, it's a total friggen disaster.

Are ya feeling me? What more do you people want?

Maybe it's not NBC, it's your service provider. NBC (my provider is DISH) is showing so much more than ever, and not charging for any extra additional programming nonsense like in the past.

Last edited by dookieboy; 07-30-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
I was impressed by tonight's men's platform diving coverage. But last night's women's gymnastics was far too heavy U.S. coverage. I wanted to see more of what the other teams were doing.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
NBC is doing a great job, love the replays and angles. They did a very cool thing with the divers showing still frame of them in each spin to see exactly what they were doing at every point of the dive. Why shouldn't they be showing the popular events like swimming in primetime? It'dbe stupid to show something like badminton when you can show something people care about like Michael Phelps swimming. Normal people have to work and can't watch swimming at 11 AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports