U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 PM

108 posts, read 181,947 times

Advertisements

I will be glad when the Olympics are over. NBC has done a terrible terrible job. You never know when what is going to be on. I was not able to watch any of the mens basketball games. I had to try to guess not only the time the mens basketball games would be on but also which one of the 3 networks that the basketball games might be on.

Bunch of Humbo Jumbo a clip here and clip there.

NBC has done a good job with Sunday Night NFL Football but they really dropped the ball here.

Watching the Olympics has been too much trouble.

I look forward to just going back to watching other networks with shows Walker Texas Ranger and Judge Judy and maybe some MSNBC and the varous shows on there. Too much inconsistency with NBC and a flat out crappy job with covering the olympics.

We should be given some kind of Voucher money check from NBC for the flat out crappy job they did in covering the Olympics.

Thank god the Olympics are over on Sunday and I will not have to deal with NBC's crap for another 4 years.

It is going to take me 4 years to recover from NBC's screwed up job of covering the Olympics.

Thank God the Olympics are coming to an end.

Demps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM

4,886 posts, read 3,471,152 times
Bad coverage or good coverage, NBC got its highest ratings of the Olympics ever.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:57 PM

25,396 posts, read 31,762,516 times
The second to last day of the Olympics and NBC is showing a documentary about World War II?

Seriously?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 PM

1,797 posts, read 932,246 times
If the US had ended up beating Brazil yesterday, do you think NBC waits until 11:00 PM eastern to show it??

Also, not only that, but you think if the US wins, they show the whole match and not start it midway through the first set, and then midway through the final set?? Did NBC really need to show that 1 hour Tom Brokaw thing before it aired coverage last night, why couldn't they do that at 7, and start regular coverage at 8?? The only reason I'm glad the Olympics are over is because I don't have to watch NBC anymore (until the Ravens have a SNF game). It's embarrassing how the sister stations (MSNBC, NBCSN) blew the regular station out of the water in terms of coverage, shouldn't it be the other way??

Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 PM

3,447 posts, read 2,500,734 times
Actually...I liked the "Finest Hour" WWII documentary very much, and hope it will be available to show in US middle and high schools. The color footage was especially effective, interspersed as it was between more commonly encountered black and white film.

Timing of its showing is another matter. I fear that its message and importance were lost upon many viewers hoping to see Olympic coverage instead.

What really exasperated me was some extremely ignorant commentary on individual women's gymnastic floor exercises the other day. The female NBC commentator correctly stated that a competitor was using violin music by Paganini, whom she identified as "a nineteenth century composer". A minute later, the male NBC commentator, who evidently was paying no attention at all to his colleague's commentary, stated that the gymnast was performing to the music "played by 'Padge-e-owny'". Emphasis on "Own".

Really. Such cultural illiteracy! I was embarrassed for the man, and frustrated that his ignorance would reflect so negatively on my country and its people, many of whom do know that Paganini is neither composing nor playing nowadays (he's decomposing, but that's another story). I don't think the actual performer of Paganini's incredibly challenging music was ever identified...or perhaps I missed it in my frustration over "PadgeOwny". Alas, this howler was all too characteristic of much of the NBC commentary.

BTW, NBC has yet to respond to my emailed protest of their limiting online live coverage to those who have cable which includes MSNBC. I recognize I am a minority, but is it wise to antagonize potential customers in this way??

Old 08-12-2012, 02:58 PM

25,396 posts, read 31,762,516 times
Oh, yeah, another thing: the frequent views of the athletes' helicopter parents, not just once, but multiple times. Yeah, we know you're proud of your kid; your tacky T-shirt says so. Do we have to see it again and again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Actually...I liked the "Finest Hour" WWII documentary very much, and hope it will be available to show in US middle and high schools.
It was very good, what I saw of it; but did it belong in a broadcast of a sporting event? It couldn't have waited a week?

Old 08-12-2012, 03:04 PM

10,711 posts, read 7,599,055 times
Very disappointed in NBC.

In the digital age they should have been able to do much much better. Instead, they have served up a traditional, incomplete and often tepid coverage.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM

19,984 posts, read 16,123,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post

Thank god the Olympics are over on Sunday and I will not have to deal with NBC's crap for another 4 years.

It is going to take me 4 years to recover from NBC's screwed up job of covering the Olympics.

Thank God the Olympics are coming to an end.

Demps
Did some one force you to watch or is NBC the only channel you can receive?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:27 PM

19,984 posts, read 16,123,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Very disappointed in NBC.

In the digital age they should have been able to do much much better. Instead, they have served up a traditional, incomplete and often tepid coverage.
With 200+ countries and 300+ events and thousands of participants if you were the program director how would you have done it?
Personally i think an event like the Olympics is just too big for tv and overwhelms the possibility of comprehensive scheduling of all the events.
That said i thought the closing ceremonies were well done but were a bit of a snooze fest with the particular talent chosen to participate.
The Who the Spice girls and remnants of Queen were the only talent and if they were going to throw out a video of Freddy Mercury they could have chosen something better than what was aired.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-12-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,826,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Did some one force you to watch or is NBC the only channel you can receive?
you've got to be kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With 200+ countries and 300+ events and thousands of participants if you were the program director how would you have done it?
Personally i think an event like the Olympics is just too big for tv and overwhelms the possibility of comprehensive scheduling of all the events.

you must've missed the links with the stories about BBC coverage, 24 feeds on both t.v. and internet, you choose. Here , I'll give you a refresher:

How the BBC crushed NBC and brought Olympics coverage into the future - The Week

NBC's coverage model is literally 40 years old.

you must not remember 2 years ago when the same discussions took place during the Winter games and many of us learning that countries with tropical climates had 3 channels of non-commercial coverage all during the games.

but the "greatest country in the world" can't get it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports