Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,158,858 times

Advertisements

Horse riders great athletes ? a bloke of 56 can win a bronze medal for going over the jumps on a nag.
How can horse riders be called athletes when their standard of fitness is a joke.
Horse riding is that physical that women can compete against men, are we to see the female shot putters competing against the men ?

Yes riding a nag takes skill, so does opening the batting against the West Indian fast bowlers that Best did at the age of 46, and neither riders or opening bats are what people would call athletic in the main.

So are we to see darts with a pint next, after all if the toffs have their nags should the working class not have their sport ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
I'd like to see ten pin bowling included - then we really would see people drinking a beer and smoking in between games!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,450 times
Drinking should be an Olympic sport. It'd be one gold medal the British would stand a good chance of winning.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Drinking should be an Olympic sport. It'd be one gold medal the British would stand a good chance of winning.
Good chance? No other country would get a look in!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Good chance? No other country would get a look in!
It would be between Great Britain and Finland....

Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,922,877 times
I agree that it's maybe more about skill than athleticism, but you do have to be fit to ride a horse at competitive level. Especially in showjumping or trialling

It's not as easy as it looks. There are lots of subtle skils nobody can see, shifting of weight, squeezing etc.

I know that some of the older men look like they're no stranger to a pie and a crean bun, but it's not quite so important to be lean and mean, just to know how to use what you've got.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,042 times
The top competitive riders are very fit and athletic as are the top race car drivers.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Being a horse rider requires enormous fitness, strength and balance, not to mention mental discipline. It takes years to achieve that at an olympic level. If you've ever watched dressage where the rider apparently sits and does nothing but in fact is in full control of everything the horse is doing simply thro the pressure of hands and legs you would know that. If you've ever actually done a jumping course where the jumps can be 6' high and you're riding a $30,000+ animal that you've trained with for years and years or experienced the cross-country where a single mistake can cost you your life you would understand that. Olympic level horse riders are not just people sitting on a "nag". They have invested thousands of dollars and years of training in getting themselves and their animal ready for this event - something a miniscule percentage of people are capable of doing.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM

There are loads of sports at the Olympics that don't require athleticism. They all require skill but bring athletic is not a prerequisite to being an Olympian.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Horse riders great athletes ? a bloke of 56 can win a bronze medal for going over the jumps on a nag.
How can horse riders be called athletes when their standard of fitness is a joke.
Horse riding is that physical that women can compete against men, are we to see the female shot putters competing against the men ?

Yes riding a nag takes skill, so does opening the batting against the West Indian fast bowlers that Best did at the age of 46, and neither riders or opening bats are what people would call athletic in the main.

So are we to see darts with a pint next, after all if the toffs have their nags should the working class not have their sport ?
You clearly have never been on a horse apart from a leisurely tourist trail ride. If you had, you would understand the physical ability required of it. No, perhaps it does not take quite the same full-body strength of something like gymnastics - but I guarantee if you did one lesson of horseback riding, your legs would be aching for days afterwards. When I was riding as a teen, I'd always complain after a lesson of how sore my legs were (this being during my most physically fit years as a teen!) and my mom would roll her eyes, thinking I was just a big wuss. Then after several years, she took a lesson herself. And afterwards, she immediately apologized for thinking I was a wuss, she said that she never realized the leg strength it required but now she understood because her legs were equally as sore. And my mom is not a wuss - she has a high pain tolerance and she works out regularly. She may have been in her 40s at the time but she was and still is incredibly physical fit.

I also guarantee that horseback riders are more physical fit than the archers! I caught a few clips of archery and while I'm sure they have very good arm strength, some of them had pot bellies! You wouldn't see that on a horseback rider.... so if you're going to pick on a sport for not requiring enough athleticism, I would start with something more like archery, not horseback riding. (No offence to archers, I have nothing against it and do not think it should be removed as an Olympic sport).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports