Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times

Advertisements

Mens 10000 metres Final lap - Mo Farah-London 2012 - YouTube
It's hard to overstate the dominance of East Africans, mainly Kenyans and Ethiopians. Just glance at the list of winners of the Boston marathon. The last American to win it was Greg Meyer, 29 years ago. Since 1991, there was a lone victory by a South Korean in 2001, the other 20 winners were all either Kenyan or Ethiopian.
List of winners of the Boston Marathon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Former U of O Duck Galen Rupp won silver, finishing second only to his training partner Mo Farah, a Brit born in Somalia. Galen Rupp has thrived in training with Farah, which tends to confirm that it is primarily not genetics, but the fact that 'competition improves the breed' that explains East African dominance in distance running. The East Africans are all about group training and mutual competition.

Galen Rupp uncharacteristically did some big talking leading up to the Olympics, but unlike so many others, he backed it up with results. If you would have told me that a blond-haired kid from Portland, OR could win silver in the 10K, I would have thought it ludicrous.

Couple of quotes from Rupp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rupp
That's the one thing about distance running — you can't really take shortcuts
Running Times Magazine: Galen Rupp Feels Lucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rupp
Now it's all about putting together the 54-second last lap I'm going to need to make the medal platform. Finishing fifth or sixth isn't going to satisfy me. We're after something bigger."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Galen Rupp uncharacteristically did some big talking leading up to the Olympics, but unlike so many others, he backed it up with results. If you would have told me that a blond-haired kid from Portland, OR could win silver in the 10K, I would have thought it ludicrous.
Rupp's 10k race has been the highlight for me for this olympics! I disagree that he did some big talking leading up the Olympics. Like most distance runners, Rupp is humble. That is why distance running is my favorite part of the olympics.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:39 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,543 times
Go Ducks!!!

Good for Galen.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:48 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,155 times
Rupp's performance would be great, except him and his team (Mo and the rest of the Nike sponsored Salazar crew) are rumored to use very expensive oxygen deprivation equipment, air tents, and thyroid medication (i.e. fake having a thyroid problem that usually only happens to 30 to 40 year old women so you can legally take the drugs that improve performance). That's all gray area stuff and they are pretty much despised by a lot of runners because of it. No runner wants to be forced to buy extremely expensive oxygen tents and be forced to sleep in one for months to compete. That is where they are taking the sport.

Meb and Lagat are the heroes of U.S. long distance.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:57 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Rupp's performance would be great, except him and his team (Mo and the rest of the Nike sponsored Salazar crew) are rumored to use very expensive oxygen deprivation equipment, air tents, and thyroid medication (i.e. fake having a thyroid problem that usually only happens to 30 to 40 year old women so you can legally take the drugs that improve performance). That's all gray area stuff and they are pretty much despised by a lot of runners because of it. No runner wants to be forced to buy extremely expensive oxygen tents and be forced to sleep in one for months to compete. That is where they are taking the sport.

Meb and Lagat are the heroes of U.S. long distance.
Until facts are presented I would hold off on the speculation regarding 'drugs'. As far as 'oxygen' training goes - the east africans train at altitude - so what?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
It could be argued that "pound for pound", the greatest performance in the modern olympics occured in 1920 by the Belgium dwarf Reggie Grundl who, because of the world-wide shortage of lead due to WWI, was used in place of the normal shot used in years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports