Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

My first sport is Boxing. This year's Olympics boxing was noteworthy not because of the fix by officials (because it's happened in many past Olympics), but because of how blatant it was even to the novice boxing fan. It was so bad that one ref was ejected from the Olympics and there's suspicion of bribery from the Borat nation.
Eliminate some swimming events. Too much redundancy.
Eliminate synchronized swimming, or water ballet.
Eliminate the horses
Replace air rifle and air pistol with real guns that fire real bullets.

The guys in my shop want that fancy ribbon twirling gymnastics replaced with pole dancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
racewalking

Old 08-11-2012, 05:51 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Agree that swimming should be cut. Too much repetition. 34 swimming gold medals among a total of 302. This is too much. All backstroke and butterfly as well as 200 or 100 backstroke should be eliminated. 50m competition too. Still 22 left.

Too many weight-lifting events as well. Plus it is boring.

Yes, racewalking too. What's the point?

synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics. These are more of a dance than "sports".

Indoor cycling is kind of stupid. Who does that?

Equestrian for sure. It is not animal Olympics.

Last edited by botticelli; 08-11-2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Racewalking (almost no one follows the rules, disqualification seems arbitrary)
Dressage (too much of a jurysport with mixed opinions. Jumping is alright though because it's clear how the scores are calculated).
Greco-Roman wrestling (should be replaced with karate imo)
Modern pentathlon (rarely practiced outside of Eastern Europe, weird combination of disciplines)

I also think the number of events in swimming, canoeing, rowing, fencing, weightlifting and athletics should be reduced.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:11 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Equestrian

The olympics are suppose to be only for human-athletic endeavors.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Beach volleyball. Stupid.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Equestrian

The olympics are suppose to be only for human-athletic endeavors.
don't hold your breath there tenderfoot, have you ever noticed the humans riding those horses? Olympics after all have always been about competition and nothing says competition like a good war. That's why the long time events mimic war games and battles.

the only events to have been held each year;
  • track and field
  • cycling
  • fencing
  • gymnastics
  • swimming
missed 1 year;
  • rowing
  • wrestling
missed 2 years;
  • diving
  • football
  • sailing
  • shooting
More events the better, in fact I want them to bring back tug-a-war and motor boat racing

Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
I laughed at your post. On my screen, the last word I saw was motorboat. Racing was on the next line. Had to move up the screen to see racing. I just had this mental image of a bunch of men "motorboating" big breast! Loved to hear Jim Nance or Bob Costas give color commentary on that competition. Slow motion, HD, instant replay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
don't hold your breath there tenderfoot, have you ever noticed the humans riding those horses? Olympics after all have always been about competition and nothing says competition like a good war. That's why the long time events mimic war games and battles.

the only events to have been held each year;
  • track and field
  • cycling
  • fencing
  • gymnastics
  • swimming
missed 1 year;
  • rowing
  • wrestling
missed 2 years;
  • diving
  • football
  • sailing
  • shooting
More events the better, in fact I want them to bring back tug-a-war and motor boat racing

Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Eliminate equestrian or start giving medals to the horses

Bring Rugby to the Olympics and futsal (indoor soccer without walls)

Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Judo -- boring and stupid. Why have Judo and Tai Kwan Do but none of the other martial arts? Or keep Judo and add Karate, Brazilian Jujitsu, or an all out mixed martial arts tourney.

Equestrian -- all of it

Sailing

Handball -- maybe if they explained the rules to me otherwise it looks like they're playing smear-the-***** out there, I'd rather watch Dodgeball

Shooting/Archery, Table Tennis -- make them co-ed

Trampoline -- really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports