Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times

Advertisements

Now that every one is happy about throwing Lance Armstrong under the bus maybe we can look for more American hero's to trash, how about that Michael Phelps? 22 Olympic medals? yeah right.doped all the way i say.
And how about that Tiger Woods? ya dont get muscle development like his by just playing golf, another candidate for being on the juice.
Actually looking up American sport heros on Google doesnt come up with much.

This it? http://www.usa-hero.com/athletic.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,463,618 times
People that I know that are passionately anti-lance do not often talk about his drug use. It's about his dishonesty, cover ups and apparently being quite a jerk in real life to the people around him.

Stories of him paying people off, strong arming (no pun intended) people into silence, calling other people liars who have been proven to be true etc.

Clinging to the arguement that he 'doped in a dirty sport so its ok,' is really missing the point of the criticism.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Yet another example of how the moral fiber of society has eroded. I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank. With this every man for himself mentality that exists today I'm wondering how many of us would do the same thing if we were in his shoes?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,075,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Now that every one is happy about throwing Lance Armstrong under the bus maybe we can look for more American hero's to trash, how about that Michael Phelps? 22 Olympic medals? yeah right.doped all the way i say.
And how about that Tiger Woods? ya dont get muscle development like his by just playing golf, another candidate for being on the juice.
Actually looking up American sport heros on Google doesnt come up with much.

This it? American Athletic Heroes Page 1 | USA Hero
Heroes don't cheat

They're called "a hero" because they overcome adversity, work hard, do beneficial things for their sport and community.

1000 page report, Hamilton, hincapie, leipheimer, Vande Velde, Matt White, and the rest are all lying? Come on.

You feel bad for a cheat.
I feel bad for the sport, the honest riders, and those who were intimidated into cheating - to have the warped "honour" of riding with a doping drug cheat.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,338,815 times
Default Armstrong belongs in the Hall of Shame

Armstrong is a cheater and a liar as others have said. He deserves no more respect than Ben Johnson. He's a nobody and he certainly is no hero.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,974,039 times
It's not that he cheated, it's that he ran a doping ring and forced other riders to dope and intimadated them into both doing it and covering it up. He also threatened other riders and their families about not coming out about it.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM

352 posts, read 1,000,825 times
He lost his 7 Tour titles, sponsorships, reputation, and the worst of all: he got kicked out of Average Joe's Gym.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,318,244 times
Lance Armstrong is all too human. Like the rest of us, he's both a hero and a sonofab*tch. I agree that he should be stripped of his titles. Going after his millions seems a touch harsh at a time like this, but then again, people never would have paid him his stash if he had been just an ordinary guy. Fraud is fraud, I reckon. There are consequences. On some level, I'm sure he's a decent human being - seems like it. But he got caught up in the doping culture of professional sport, and now he's paying the price of risking his sport's credibility.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,318,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
He lost his 7 Tour titles, sponsorships, reputation, and the worst of all: he got kicked out of Average Joe's Gym.
Yes, he lost 7 titles, but so did professional cycling. That's the reality here. He's not the only one who has damages to repay. There are now 7 years of Tour de France that simply don't exist because of Lance Armstrong. That being said, I do agree, that the sport of cycling is never going to be dope-free. I have no idea how they can possibly begin to clean it up. I don't think the cycling commissions have any ideas either.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM

352 posts, read 1,000,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yes, he lost 7 titles, but so did professional cycling. That's the reality here. He's not the only one who has damages to repay. There are now 7 years of Tour de France that simply don't exist because of Lance Armstrong.
Right, I didn't realize that. I guess now the answer to the question of
What does World War I, World War II, and Lance Armstrong have in common, is that there were no Tour de France winners in those years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports