Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:33 AM

73 posts, read 150,844 times

Advertisements

I think the media is portraying Lance Armstrong in a much more negative light than what is needed. Cycling is one of the dirtiest sport especially in the new millennium (just look up "list of doping cases in cycling" in Wikipedia) and I've heard from multiple radio hosts, avid cycling fans and sports fans alike, that it wouldn't surprise them if >80% of the cyclists in Tour De France used some sort of performance enhancing drugs...And I don't disagree with them. Cycling 200km a day for 20+ days is NUTS!

Now let's look at it like this: if no one in the whole race was using performance enhancing drugs, then wouldn't you think that Armstrong would still be the best cyclist to emerge out of the whole group? But unfortunately PED use is pervasive in cycling, and it makes sense for the cyclists to use drugs in order to level the playing field with everyone else violating the rules. It's sad and it's scathing to the integrity of sports but that's just the reality.

Obviously not every cyclist gets tested on a regular basis for PEDs and only the elite ones like Armstrong will be the subject of most scrutiny. But when they do get tested, with the advances in science and technology, scientists are able to come up with newer and modified substances that are not on the list of banned substances that allow the cyclists to pass the test surreptitiously. And when committees like USADA includes more drugs to banned PEDs, there will be substances in altered form that will be able to bypass the tests undetected.

I'm not saying what Armstrong did is right (if in fact it's true) nor the pervasive use of PEDs in sports, which is the reality of sports today. But out of this came something good, the LIVESTRONG Foundation which raised hundreds of millions of dollars for a good cause to help cancer patients and to provide hope. Whether you think he did this for his own stardom or to sway the attention away from his doping allegations is up to you, but you can't deny that this philanthropic organization is bad for the world, or not enough to overshadow the blemish in his lustrous cycling career.

I'd be willing to guarantee that if any other cyclists used whatever PEDs that Armstrong used for his Tour De France career, he would not come remotely close to winning 7 TDF titles in his career. This allegation is much to meager in contrast to the accolades and accomplishments that he achieved in his career and I think that all this diatribe about Lance Armstrong needs to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 PM

10,020 posts, read 9,472,148 times
He's an arrogant cheater and a liar ... not much more to say.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,261,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I second this post.

Admit your crap/wrongs, and stop playing victim and hero!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,064,834 times
But Mommmmmm ... everyone does it!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:07 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,301,565 times
I hate the double talk! We knew the whole time that Lance was winning as a cheater, if you did not know then you are fool. Funny part, everyone knew and at the time nobody was calling him names. Now suddenly, with a mountain of evidence (years later by the way), everyone is calling him a cheater. Yesterday and today, I do not call him a cheater, because as jokingly stated above, everyone was doing it. Just the same, I don't badger Bonds/A-Rod/Mark M/Sosa because everyone was doing it. Matter of fact, I go on record today to state that Manny Pacman is cheating too. I don't care, legalize the use. I like the homeruns, new records and other achievements. Back in the day, they cheated too.

My recommendation is that Lance should admit to use...so what! Then he needs to highlight his cancer survival achievement and I think fans will come back.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Doesnt look good for Lance but to this point he's had no court case and is merely the subject of many allegations and hearsay,
I find it puzzling how so many Americans seem to be so happy at the demise of their once great hero,
A man who has gone onto accomplish much in the world of cancer relief programs,
Yeah he probably played the game along with every one else in the biking world but he was our champ our hero,and now every one it seems just wants to trash the man.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,346,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Doesnt look good for Lance but to this point he's had no court case and is merely the subject of many allegations and hearsay,
I find it puzzling how so many Americans seem to be so happy at the demise of their once great hero,
Yeah he probably played the game along with every one else in the biking world but he was our champ our hero,and now every one it seems just wants to trash the man.
Good.

I think many Americans are just tired of a culture that if not ourightly promotes cheating than at the very least gives it a wink and a nod.

Everywhere yo turn in our society, cheaters and liars seem to prosper. Whether it be in business, politics, sports, etc.

Many people are simply tired of it. Cheaters and liars have always been around but they were shunned and shamed. Nowadays we glorify them.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:50 PM

848 posts, read 1,949,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Well, you could say more, but it would probably get you banned.

Regardless, I wholly agree with what you've said. He deserves everything he's gotten and probably more. I've zero sympathy for him.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM

848 posts, read 1,949,099 times
Quote:
Not hardly. Speak for yourself.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:29 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,064,834 times
Quote:

Look, Armstrong is an inspiration to many cancer victims and his foundation did a world of good.
He's also a liar and a cheat.

Kind of like Joe Paterno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports