Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times

Advertisements

ANY sport can be boring and/or fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Generally not boring, although a typical Yankees/Red Sox game can be trying and certain pitchers can put one to sleep. But generally not boring, especially if you're into the small details.

I know I'm in the minority, but I find most NFL games a bore. And if you want to talk about fatties...

Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM

601 posts, read 460,075 times
90% of the time, two guys are playing catch.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
100% of the time, absolutely anything can happen. Baseball, The Talking Sport, is an absolutely riveting game at all times.

"Where should the catcher throw the ball, first or third? Did he tag up? That wasn't a strike! It's alright, let him find his groove, he does this. That guy is the best shortstop in the game. Amazing hand-fielded BY Beltre and flipped to 2nd for the out. Everything is on this one pitch. Can he run it down? The catcher is blocking the plate! Are they gonna pull this guy? Who's warming up- - Oh, God, no, I hate that guy! How many are on? Is that the first out? RUN! Just gimme a blooper. This guy makes 'em ground to third all the time. Just bring the cooler in here, you're missing too much! He walked him! That's a fair ball!! Is he just closing his eyes and swinging? Hey, he put Murphy in. How can you not see that? Whoa, whoa, whoa, that should be two runs, holy ess, they're letting Hamilton go for it!! I love this hot dog. LET'S GO RANGERS!! LET'S GO RANGERS!!!! LET'S GO RANGERS!!!"

Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
It isn't a sport for those with ADHD which is about everybody these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
90% of the time, two guys are playing catch.
Well if you can't recognize or aren't close enough to recognize what is being pitched and caught... I guess it is boring, but if you can it's pretty cool.

As for players being out of shape... players are in better physical shape today than anytime in the history of the game (Steroid Era aside).

But if you think that baseball is boring... by all means check out cricket, then get back to us.

Disclaimer: Baseball was the only organized sport that I was ever good at. Played it until I discovered that music was more fun (except for a few years of league softball).

Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Hotdog $5.00, Beer $6.00, Reggie Jackson hitting 3 homeruns in a World Series... priceless.

(ok, I'm old, a Giants fan who got to see Willie Mays play)

Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
I think its an incredibly boring sport to watch on TV. I would like to see it live though, see if the atmosphere of being there brings a different element to it.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Baseball is a thinking man's game, I am willing to bet the people that don't like baseball don't like Chess or Classical music either, football fans are more of the connect 4 type of people.

Ernie Harwell on Baseball - YouTube

Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
A game here and there can be a bit boring but what I think makes baseball exciting is not just watching the game but knowing what's going on outside your home town team. Listen to talk shows and you pick up on topics that you can chat about with others and that can always lead to an interesting conversation or debate, follow the hot players and pay attention to the stats, join a fantasy league. Any of these things will get you more into the game itself and the more you know, the more enjoyable the actual game is.

I do have to admit, though, that the steroid era has killed the awe-struck kid in me. I grew up admiring ball players who were grimy, played through pain and developed games-played streaks (hello - Steve Garvey, Cal Ripken, Jr.), and played for the love of the game instead of looking forward to free agency. Players showed up at supermarkets, malls, etc. and did autographs for FREE, played in all-star games because of the honor, etc. etc.

I will always love the game but I am so greatful I grew up in the time that I did.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
I used to think baseball was boring, but the more I watch it the more interesting it is. Even though it may be "slow" 1) it is not any slower than football for example (if you think about it, you spend 30 minutes watching the ball move less than 10 yards sometimes) 2) there is a lot of strategy that goes into baseball, stance of the batter, which pitch to throw, placement of the outfield, Pitcher/Batter matchups, plus, the catcher-pitcher communication is key. Its fun to watch how a really good catcher can make a difference in the game.

Also just watching the athleticism of the ball players is interesting. The major league players make catching a fly-ball look so routine. But when I watched a few games of the college world series by chance, they were dropping those balls left and right.

I vote for NOT boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports