Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Doink the Clown turned me off to the cartoonish turn that the WWF had taken at the time. I have watched the WWE product a few times since and I relaly do not like it.

ANYWAY No one mentioned Hector Guerrero's LAZERTRON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIEPF8IJW8w

Another COmic Book Sci FI superhero gone nowhere

Now back in the golden age of WCW, did Kevin Sullivan not announce that he was bringing the Yeti (Or maybe he called it the bigfoot or sasquatch) as a tag team partner to a PPV? Since I was too cheap for PPVs and I did not like the way that they played every show as a commercial for the next PPV (something that oddly enough, started when Gene Okerland was hired) I did not see what became of this, but as I understand, it was a FLOP

BACK in the Heyday and success of World Class Wrestling,the late Gary Hart (Gary Williams) The booker, the man who invented the character of the Kabuki, which was ripped off by promotions all over the country in the 1980's, was under pressure from owner Jack Adkisson (Fritz von eric) To come up with another new exciting character. His invention was a mysterious man from Singapore, who was once the Kabuki's mentor, who was so dangerous that he had been banned from wrestling in the US. They built him up for months, finally had him show up andd wrestle against two guys at the next big superstars event, called Star Wars. No one will talk about who played this character, but it was an aging mid carder, white, bleached blond hair, not asian looking at all, and had horrendous ring skills.
On the later TV broadcast, Frank Brody came out and anouced that the man in the ring was an imposter, not the real Ten Gu. They got rid of the character alltogether within a couple of months. Gary Williams talks about it in his book, With a Little Help from my Friends. He does not give the wrestler's name who played him.
Probably the worst wrestler as far as ring skills I ever saw (other than Larry Lane) and a huge disappointment. Few records and practically no video exist. KM : Reading Topic : Ten Gu in WCCW
Kevin Sullivan, he didn't need a gimmick, freakin weirdo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I always thought The Berzerker was kind of silly. HUSS! HUSS! HUSS! HUSS! HUSS!
That was classic, I think he was John Nord in the AWA. The WWF back then liked to make a mockery of stars they didn't create, like the Road Warriors, Polka Dotted Dusty Rhodes, Matt Borne (Doink), Friar Tuck, who was a bigger idiot in WCW as Norman, DDP in the WWE was a goof, so was Razor Ramon although that gimmick helped Scott Hall, Shane Douglas as the Dean. Repo man, what a joke. I mean he was Krusher Kruchev, then Smash, Blacktop Bully, nonsense. Austin as the "ringmaster" was stupid.

Raven as "Johnny Polo". Although Glacier may have been the worst ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 07:15 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Kevin Sullivan, he didn't need a gimmick, freakin weirdo.

That was classic, I think he was John Nord in the AWA. The WWF back then liked to make a mockery of stars they didn't create, like the Road Warriors, Polka Dotted Dusty Rhodes, Matt Borne (Doink), Friar Tuck, who was a bigger idiot in WCW as Norman, DDP in the WWE was a goof, so was Razor Ramon although that gimmick helped Scott Hall, Shane Douglas as the Dean. Repo man, what a joke. I mean he was Krusher Kruchev, then Smash, Blacktop Bully, nonsense. Austin as the "ringmaster" was stupid.

Raven as "Johnny Polo". Although Glacier may have been the worst ever.
Don't forget the RED ROOSTER (Terry Taylor) and that "Poet Laureate of wrestling" Lanny Poffo which was worse than "The Genius"

Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Quote:
Don't forget the RED ROOSTER (Terry Taylor) and that "Poet Laureate of wrestling" Lanny Poffo which was worse than "The Genius"
Red Rooster was horrible, you're right. Lanny Poffo reminds me of Damien Sandow or the other way around.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
The Boogerman and his eating of handfulls of worms seemed a bit over the top.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Boogerman and his eating of handfulls of worms seemed a bit over the top.
The worms were real too. Mary Wright was a bodybuilder who lied about his age during the draft to get in. He also stayed in character backstage and other wrestlers were a bit freaked out by him. He reminded me of Papa Shango, who famously made the Ultimate Warrior vomit in the ring after putting a curse on him.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times

youtube POOP THE YETI -the yetiiiiiiiiiiiiii the yeah-tayyyyyyyyyyy - YouTube

Kevin Sullivan's Yeti
And NO I did not pay for the PPV to see him in action, but all reviews of it indicate that the gimmick should have a place on this thread....

Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Santino Marella's finishing move "the Cobra" is ridiculous.
He is also one of the biggest Jobbers ever to hold a championship belt.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Festus' gimmick, a simpleton who would come to life as a Monster face when the bell rang, similarly was up there.
His reincarnation as Luke Gallows as part of the Straight Edge Society was highly enjoyable by contrast.
CM Punk even looked like the Messiah with his Disciples, a shame it was abandoned so quickly.
Only annoying bit was that the Disciples had to shave their hair to pledge their allegiance, but he didn't.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Festus' gimmick, a simpleton who would come to life as a Monster face when the bell rang, similarly was up there.
His reincarnation as Luke Gallows as part of the Straight Edge Society was highly enjoyable by contrast.
CM Punk even looked like the Messiah with his Disciples, a shame it was abandoned so quickly.
Only annoying bit was that the Disciples had to shave their hair to pledge their allegiance, but he didn't.
Jesse and Festus! I remember this short lived team, seemed to be fan favorites also.

The WWE angle where Dawn Marie married Torrie Wilson's father was awful. The scene where the girls had a fight at the funeral for Torries father and the casket got knocked over was unreal. Vince seems to have a thing with very dark stories involving death. Katie Vick and the Big show/Bossman angle with the casket are examples.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:

youtube POOP THE YETI -the yetiiiiiiiiiiiiii the yeah-tayyyyyyyyyyy - YouTube

Kevin Sullivan's Yeti
And NO I did not pay for the PPV to see him in action, but all reviews of it indicate that the gimmick should have a place on this thread....
A mummy. A GIANT mummy at that. You just can't make things like this up but wrestling seems to drea up some winners lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports