Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Has nothing to do with soldiers. This guy is a hero. It takes a lot of courage to come out of the closet, particularly on a national level, and for a man who also happens to be black, and in the NBA. As long as people have attitudes like yours, people who come out of the closet should be commended for overcoming the adversity they have been forced to face, triumphing their own dignity over living in the closet, invisible.

I work in a hospital ICU, we save lives, but its what we do, there should be no recognition just because one elects to do this line of work. I also served in the U.S. Navy, it was also my decision. There were plenty of guys who join because they coundn't make it in the private sector.
this guy is a hero? give me a break. and dont try to compare him to jackie robinson either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
I would not make the comparison to Jackie Robinson due to the fact he had a tough time after hitting the show, where as Collins will be embraced. The Wizards have reported a big spike in jersey sales with Collins name and number and the Boston Red Sox have invited him to throw out the first pitch in an upcoming home game, and more good things to come.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 PM

462 posts, read 427,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Who cares.
The most effective way to demonstrate indifference is usually to ignore those things which don't impact you one way or another. It's clear that you do care.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
this guy is a hero? give me a break. and dont try to compare him to jackie robinson either
Mr. Collins goes to work in an environment where a lot of his co-workers and colleagues are homophobic ignorant when it comes to such matters just like Robinson came into an environment where his co-workers were racist and ignorant.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Supposedly Collins was engaged at one time to a white woman. So not only he a lousy basketball player, I guess he isn't good at being gay either,lol.

Poor Jason.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
I always assumed the first gay basketball player to come out would be a WNBA player, guess I was wrong.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I always assumed the first gay basketball player to come out would be a WNBA player, guess I was wrong.
Brittney Griner isn't in the WNBA yet, but she did announce that she's gay.

I'd say odds are that there are several lesbian pro basketball players.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 PM

209 posts, read 160,159 times
Quote:
Exactly. No way this guy is a hero. Just look at what he did with his gf for 8 years. Not only were they boyfriend and girlfriends, they were engaged up until 2009. He strung her along, no way that's a hero.
And people comparing him to Jackie Robinson is ridiculous. There are no straight and gay water fountains. Jason Collins' former fiancée, Carolyn Moos, on his coming out: "I think he's in the process of taking ownership of the here and now" – Piers Morgan - CNN.com Blogs

He's not the first athlete to come out while still playing, if you call it that. Martina Navratilova came out while still at the top of her game. The guy played a total of 6 games out of 82 games this year and scored 4 pts and people compare him to Jackie Robinson, come on. This guy is on his way out. Actually, this is one way for him to hang on to a team, the teams might be more sensitive and let him hang on.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 PM

Martina wasn't playing in a major American professional team sport. Oh, and she wasn't a man either. Oh, and her coming out didn't affect how her femininity was perceived. Women are not ostracized to the same degree for being gay that men are.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Its seems there is a victim syndrome in society now where certain people want to be on the RIGHT side of history. They want to be the folks who went agains the bad guys, you know like republicans, christians, normal men, conservatives, gun owners, etc etc. There is this fever to be on the good side. Not everyone is comfy with homosexuality and this includes many of the ball players in the NBA. These men should not be forced to be where they do not want to be, but we have a society that is developing now that wants to force everyone embrace the homosexual culture with open arms, if you reject this culture in any way are fashion you are labeled a BAD GUY. Its really weird now. I liked the gay crowd way better in the 80s and 90s, than I do now. The unneeded celebrations get annoying after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports