Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,912,758 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone out there who has seen, or knows of sites to buy vintage sports shirts. My husband is a Bostonian and loves his Sox, Patriots, Bruins etc. With Fathers day next approaching next month I really wanna find a vintage shirt (preferably Sox or Pats) from the 80's size L. If I can find one from his birth year of '83 even more awesome. Anyone wanna help a non sports fan chick out pleaseeee!!!

* also if anyone knows the names of any famous players on either of those teams in '83 that were well known I could perhaps find a jersey or shirt with their number/name on it that'd be great also (please don't give me someone with a reputation like Buckner. I still have to hear about him!)

* and/or if Sports Illustrated still sends out vintage issues when ordered or if you can find them online...

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 05-09-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 AM

462 posts, read 423,890 times
Team sites sell those vintage shirts. Also, you can go to pro player shops. If you live in Boston, they're usually located near the stadiums. You could also try eBay or Mitchell and Ness.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:57 AM

286 posts, read 330,010 times
I did a quick ''1983 Red Sox'' search on Ebay. Found nothing. Boston has a huge fan base so anything authentic you will be spending quite a lot.

Wild100s gave you good advice.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,773,509 times
That's a great idea for a gift. I wouldn't mind if my wife got me a throwback jersey/hat/whatever for a holiday, however, I'd probably like something from when my team was in its "heyday" during the portion of life that I can remember.

But when you say 80's Boston the first thing that comes to mind is Larry Bird (if he's a Celtics fan).

Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,349,915 times
IS this what youre looking for Amazon.com: CARL YASTRZEMSKI Boston Red Sox 1983 Majestic Athletic Home Baseball Jersey: Sports & Outdoors ?
also Majestic Boston Red Sox Jerseys, Majestic Red Sox Apparel, Majestic RedSox Merchandise, Majestic Sox Shop
Not a baseball fan so I dunno if its close/legit.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,200,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Is there anyone out there who has seen, or knows of sites to buy vintage sports shirts. My husband is a Bostonian and loves his Sox, Patriots, Bruins etc. With Fathers day next approaching next month I really wanna find a vintage shirt (preferably Sox or Pats) from the 80's size L. If I can find one from his birth year of '83 even more awesome. Anyone wanna help a non sports fan chick out pleaseeee!!!

* also if anyone knows the names of any famous players on either of those teams in '83 that were well known I could perhaps find a jersey or shirt with their number/name on it that'd be great also (please don't give me someone with a reputation like Buckner. I still have to hear about him!)

* and/or if Sports Illustrated still sends out vintage issues when ordered or if you can find them online...
With regard to Red Sox or Patriots players of the early 1980s, Wade Boggs was near the beginning of his Hall of Fame career, and guys like Jim Rice and Dwight Evans were in the middle of their careers. Carl Yastrzemski was in the final season of his 24 year career with the Red Sox that season. The Patriots of that era had a number of good players - Steve Grogan (quarterback), Mosi Tatupu (running back), Stanley Morgan (wide receiver), John Hannah (offensive tackle), Raymond Clayborn (defensive back), Steve Nelson (linebacker), Andre Tippett (linebacker), and Julius Adams (defensive lineman).

Considering your husband's age, guys who were young players in 1983 and still with the Red Sox/Patriots when he first started following sports would be good bets. Wade Boggs of the Red Sox and Andre Tippett of the Patriots may be particularly good bets, though most of the guys I listed above I believe were fan favorites of Boston fans (albeit before your husband's time as a fan in many cases).

As far as buying jerseys, do some searching on the internet using phrases like "throwback Patriots (or Red Sox) jersey". The Red Sox' home jerseys really haven't changed much since 1983, while the font on their road jerseys back then was different (and not as good as the current font IMO). The Patriots' colors back then were primarily red and white rather than the navy blue and white of today. Good sites to buy jerseys would include NFL.com, MLB.com, Majestic Athletic (manufacturer of major league baseball jerseys), and Mitchell and Ness. Whatever site you choose to use, DON'T use a site that is based in China or has prices too good to be true (i.e. less than $50 for a jersey, unless it is on clearance).

Old 05-19-2013, 12:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,769,041 times
Try Mitchell and Ness.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,824,521 times
The 83 Pats were nothing special. 8 - 8. Steve Grogan or Steve Nelson would be the most popular player. The throwback jerseys for the 83 Pats were the ones with the bright red jerseys. And the logo was "Pat Patriot", not the flying elvis.

The Sox were bad that year. Below .500. Dwight Evans was on the team and a fan favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports