Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 04:20 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

3-D TV falls flat: ESPN to kill 3-D broadcasts

The sports network said there weren't enough viewers to make 3-D broadcasts worth it. It didn't say exactly how many viewers it had, but the number was "extremely limited and not growing," the network said.

Last year, an estimated 6 percent of TVs in the U.S. were able to show 3-D programming, according to the most recent data from research firm IHS Screen Digest. Even homes that have 3-D TVs don't appear to be using them very much, said IHS analyst Sweta Dash.

The lack of programming and the discomfort of having to wear special glasses could be contributing to the problem, she said.

"It's not convenient for people to watch for hours and hours with glasses," Dash said. "They get tired."

With 3-D TV, two cameras have to be rigged together on a special mount to create the 3-D effect. And because viewers can get dizzy with quick cuts, camera operators specialized in 3-D stay focused on single shots for longer. That makes it hard for producers to simply use "one eye" of a 3-D camera for 2-D broadcasts. Instead, camera positions and personnel costs were just multiplied for events shot in both formats.

Along with higher costs, any viewing on 3-D platforms draw viewers away from the standard broadcast, said Rob Willox, director of large sensor technology for Sony Electronics, in an interview last month about the differences between the two formats.

"There are a lot more costs, and you're not increasing audience share, you're dividing it," he said.

I never watched it. Did anyone watch the 3-D channel on a regular or semi-regular basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Nope, I only know one guy who bought a 3D TV and he rarely watched 3D. I didnt think it would take off in its current state, who in their right mind wants to wear glasses while watching tv ?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
I used to wear glasses for everything ...... before LASIK of course

But glasses aren't a big deal

Content and it's availability is ...... ESPN3D didn't exactly have great distribution ... it's available on DTV, however my DTV receiver can't broadcast 3D stations .... I could get a complimentary upgrade, but my DVR is stuffed and I really don't want to chase down all the series I'm halfway through watching that I would lose when I switch it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports