U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 AM
 
7,099 posts, read 23,889,158 times
Reputation: 7248

Advertisements

The Newspaper accounts about the British Open mentioned "Links Golf" several times. what is different about it? Is it just a British thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Reputation: 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The Newspaper accounts about the British Open mentioned "Links Golf" several times. what is different about it? Is it just a British thing?

Links (golf) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 06:51 AM
 
7,099 posts, read 23,889,158 times
Reputation: 7248
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

thanks for the info. Dumb me! I just didn't think of Wikipedia.


It was interesting. I can see why it would take extra to learn how to deal with the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
Reputation: 31588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The Newspaper accounts about the British Open mentioned "Links Golf" several times. what is different about it? Is it just a British thing?
links golf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Reputation: 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
thanks for the info. Dumb me! I just didn't think of Wikipedia.


It was interesting. I can see why it would take extra to learn how to deal with the difference.
Besides the terrain, the wind on those seaside Scottish courses can be absolutely brutal. And then there's the rules, I remember watching a British Open some years ago, I forget which course, and seeing that a ball that had come to rest on a paved cart path had to be hit from that lie, no relief.

Must be extremely satisfying to play a round like Leftie's on Sunday but I'm sure more than one golfer's gone home talking to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 09:39 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
3,910 posts, read 7,543,356 times
Reputation: 4109
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Besides the terrain, the wind on those seaside Scottish courses can be absolutely brutal. And then there's the rules, I remember watching a British Open some years ago, I forget which course, and seeing that a ball that had come to rest on a paved cart path had to be hit from that lie, no relief.

Must be extremely satisfying to play a round like Leftie's on Sunday but I'm sure more than one golfer's gone home talking to themselves.
Most likely the road hole (17th) at St. Andrews. Its considered part of the course (and not an obstruction). Although hitting a ball off of a path isn't that hard (especially for the pros as they don't have to pay for their equipment), it may actually be a better option than to take a relief (which may put you behind a tree or into a bush).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 02:58 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Reputation: 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Most likely the road hole (17th) at St. Andrews. Its considered part of the course (and not an obstruction). Although hitting a ball off of a path isn't that hard (especially for the pros as they don't have to pay for their equipment), it may actually be a better option than to take a relief (which may put you behind a tree or into a bush).
I couldn't say, it's hard for me to hit a ball off of anything.

But it could well have been St Andrews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Georgia
2,506 posts, read 6,005,732 times
Reputation: 687
The professional golfers have skills to put he ball where they want, spin it, bump it, fade it etc etc.... now since the greens are very responsive they can do all of that when playing a regular golf course.

For guys like you and me though.... Links Golf is the golf that we play every time we go out.... just hit the ball and hope it comes to rest near the hole, because we have no idea where its going to land and how much is it going to move forward !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top