Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times

Advertisements

The sport was invented in Europe but all the legends are mostly American (Jack, Arnie, Byron, Hogan, Snead, Woods, Jones, Mickelson).

Definitely puzzles me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
A few thoughts:

1) Guys like Gary Player, Seve Ballasteros, or Nick Faldo, among others, aren't among the all-time greats?

2) For many years, the highest interest in golf outside the U.S. was in the British Isles. The population of the British Isles is much smaller than the population of the U.S. (This fact was actually a major factor in the change in the Ryder Cup rules in the late 1970s from having the non-U.S. team represent the British Isles to having the non-U.S. team represent all of Europe.)

Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
I didn't say that. I was just listing Americans. And Player wasn't European (like Els isn't). Hagen also should have been mentioned on my list as he was one of the all-times.

Faldo and Seve are probably the best to come out of Europe, and even they play second fiddle to guys like Mickelson and Trevino in my opinion.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Throughout the history of the game especially on the professional level, the measuring stick for success has weighed heavily on the PGA Tour. Which, until the last 10-20 years or so has finally started seeing an influx of more international players come across to be tour members and play primarily on the PGA Tour.

It can be argued that Colin Montgomery is certainly one of the best ever to come out of Europe but he'll forever be known as someone who could not only never win a major, but not win one PGA Tour event, and no victories on American soil.

Europe though still has produced many past "legends" in the sport and currently has many of the top players in the world.

Past players such as Seve Ballesteros, Bernhard Langer, Colin Montgomery, Nick Faldo, Ian Woosnam, Sandy Lyle, and Jose Maria Olazabel come to mind. You can go WAY back and find guys such as Tom Morris Sr. & Jr; and Harry Vardon. Even some current players past their prime such as Padraig Harrington, Miguel Angel Jimenez (who's currently enjoying a career year despite being 50).

The current core guys who should certainly go down as some or Europe's best in the future is quite large... Justin Rose, Rory McLlroy, Graeme McDowell, Martin Kaymer, Luke Donald, Sergio Garcia, etc. etc. etc.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:13 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I didn't say that. I was just listing Americans. And Player wasn't European (like Els isn't). Hagen also should have been mentioned on my list as he was one of the all-times.
Your thread title was "Why are all the best golfers in history overwhelmingly American?" All I did was point out there are quite a few non-Americans who are considered among the all-time greats in men's golf.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Your thread title was "Why are all the best golfers in history overwhelmingly American?" All I did was point out there are quite a few non-Americans who are considered among the all-time greats in men's golf.

Agreed... thread title is misleading...

Old 07-11-2014, 08:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Might be because America has so many quality golf courses with people who can afford to play on them

Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 PM

426 posts, read 957,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
The sport was invented in Europe but all the legends are mostly American (Jack, Arnie, Byron, Hogan, Snead, Woods, Jones, Mickelson).

Definitely puzzles me!

Puzzles me that you have Phil listed as a legend.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Puzzles me that you have Phil listed as a legend.

He's certainly on the "cusp" and could reach that at some point... 42 wins and 5 majors is nothing to scoff at.

Bottom-line... win the US Open... become the 6th EVER to complete the career grand-slam and that should cement his status as Legend.

If he can somehow get to 50 PGA tour wins and maybe 7-8 majors w/ that Slam then he's set.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 PM

426 posts, read 957,901 times
Agreed, he's on the cusp.

I don't think he's quite ready to be there with the other names he was listed with, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports