U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I've always been impressed with how an area KC's size has been able to support both MLB and NFL as well as they have. It is one of the most over saturated sports markets but hey, if you guys keep up the attendance then no one has a reason to complain. (Besides your friends down I-35 waiting on their first team while you're trying to real in your 3rd) It would be neat to see an NHL team to fill up the new Sprint Center though. It sure looks like a gem.
I'd have to say the most saturated sports market is Pittsburgh -- a metropolitan area about the same size as KC yet with an NFL team, MLB team and NHL team...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Scranton
2,937 posts, read 2,910,486 times
Reputation: 570
The Marlins should either be moved or contracted. My son's t-ball games outdraw the Marlins.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Bourbonnais, IL
1,355 posts, read 3,709,536 times
Reputation: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'd have to say the most saturated sports market is Pittsburgh -- a metropolitan area about the same size as KC yet with an NFL team, MLB team and NHL team...
(Pitt) 2.37 compared with (KC) 1.97 as of 2006. Pittsburgh does have a larger base outside the metro to draw from. But, all things aside they are close. Isn't Pittsburgh in danger of losing the Penguins? I'm not much of a hockey fan but I thought I'd heard rumors of them leaving at some point, maybe for KC even.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Scranton
2,937 posts, read 2,910,486 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Isn't Pittsburgh in danger of losing the Penguins? I'm not much of a hockey fan but I thought I'd heard rumors of them leaving at some point, maybe for KC even.
Not anymore. Funding has been secured for a new arena.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
Well the city and state are in the process of building the Penguins a new stadium, so they damn well better not be going anywhere.

In fact I think the NHL commissioner put the kabash on any talks of the Penguins leaving Pittsburgh when they were putting out "for sale" feelers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 09:19 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,522,007 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I've always been impressed with how an area KC's size has been able to support both MLB and NFL as well as they have. It is one of the most over saturated sports markets but hey, if you guys keep up the attendance then no one has a reason to complain. (Besides your friends down I-35 waiting on their first team while you're trying to real in your 3rd) It would be neat to see an NHL team to fill up the new Sprint Center though. It sure looks like a gem.
Based solely on the MLB and NFL, Kansas City isn't that saturated. The Royals and Chiefs live in relative harmony with each other. While one's season is winding down, the other is just getting started. There isn't any competition for fan support, to speak of, and there's plenty of disposable income for both.
However, when you throw in the Kansas Speedway, the T-Bones minor league baseball team, the Brigade AFL team, the Wizards MLS team, and like I said in another thread.. who knows what else, I can't keep up with them all.... those things are what make this market seem so overdone.

How all those guys survive, and even thrive in this market, I don't know. One theory I have, is that there isn't much else sporting to do around here. We're surrounded on all sides by cornfields and cow pastures. One has to drive at least an hour or two to even touch the fringe of the already-crowded Ozarks, and it's way too far to drive to northern Minnesota or the Rockies for any kind of quick weekend trip.
There's a lot of us hoping for a hockey team. Personally, I'd trade our soccer and arena football team for one... and throw in the speedway, too, if that's what it takes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,348,658 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
The Marlins should either be moved or contracted. My son's t-ball games outdraw the Marlins.
LOL, that is so true, you watch marlins games on TV you see like 3 people there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,718 posts, read 4,592,120 times
Reputation: 1448
Can any of you see the following teams leave and relocate?

Kansas City Royals
Arizona Diamondbacks
Milwaukee Bucks
Detroit Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Los Angeles Clippers
Minnesota Timberwolves
Denver Nuggets
Anaheim Ducks
Florida Panthers
New York Islanders
Dallas Stars
San Diego Padres
Buffalo Bills
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 16,836,441 times
Reputation: 9878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Can any of you see the following teams leave and relocate?

Kansas City Royals
Arizona Diamondbacks
Milwaukee Bucks
Detroit Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Los Angeles Clippers
Minnesota Timberwolves
Denver Nuggets
Anaheim Ducks
Florida Panthers
New York Islanders
Dallas Stars
San Diego Padres
Buffalo Bills
Pretty weak post, the Pistons...? Seriously....The Diamondbacks? Obviously, you didn't put much thought into your
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,676 posts, read 18,905,816 times
Reputation: 4131
I just spotted this thread and I will throw in my Milwaukee Bucks. After starting out as the winningest team in NBA history until 1991 they have slipped into the NBA Triangle of Bermuda!

How in the HHell does a team have so much success for 20 straight years then crap the bed for the next 25!

Oh yeah Herb Kohl!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top