U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Now maybe I underestimate Oklahoma's enthusiasm for basketball, but I just can't see moving an NBA franchise to OKC and expecting it to be successful...
Yeah, so anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,642,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There are now several very popular threads about what cities are deserving of a new sports franchise based upon rapidly-growing populations, corporate sponsorships, location, etc., but I'm curious to see what cities you think might surrender their teams in order to make way for the newbies (if any?) After all, if we were to just create all new sports franchises for every deserving city without relocating any others, we might run into a problem with certain sports being oversaturated with teams.

Here are my choices if a city had to be chosen to lose a franchise:

Buffalo: Buffalo is one of the few cities in this nation that has seen its metropolitan population nosedive for decades, and I fear that if this population decline doesn't reverse itself the Bills may someday pull out. The city of Buffalo alone isn't capable of supporting an NFL team; the fact that the Bills fan base expands into Rochester, NY, Syracuse, NY, Erie, PA (which also supports the Browns), and Hamilton, ON (which also supports the CFL) keeps it afloat.

Pittsburgh: Just like Buffalo, Pittsburgh's metropolitan population has been nosediving for decades. The Penguins threatened to pull out until Governor Rendell got down onto his knees and pledged hundreds of millions of dollars to build a new arena in order to entice them to stay. Both the Steelers and Pirates have great new riverfront stadiums with awesome skyline views, but if and when these stadiums become outdated, the metro's population may have continued to decline to the point where having three major-league teams is no longer viable---I can see the Pirates moving to another U.S. city at some point in the future. I think Pittsburgh has more potential than Buffalo to turn itself around though.

New Orleans: The city just hasn't been the same since Hurricane Katrina, and its population remains at only half of what it once was. Quality-of-life issues, namely crime, continue to be of concern here, and if the population never fully recovers the fan base might not as well. I can see either the Saints or Hornets making a move out of the city at some point in the future. If the Saints (NFL) ever moved, they'd likely head to either San Antonio or Los Angeles. I know there's been a large fervor as of late to rebuild the city, but I think many folks are now leery of living below sea level along the coast now that they see what a hurricane can do to their way of life.

Florida: The Sunshine State is oversaturated currently with professional sports teams. This state is home to the Dolphins, Heat, Magic, Marlins, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Panthers, Lightning, Rays, and I'm sure I'm missing others. Yes, the state is heavily-populated, but all of its cities are located within an easy drive of one another. Orlanda isn't far from Tampa, for example, so why duplicate sports teams? I'd be an advocate of leaving most teams in Miami and then merging the teams in Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville into "Florida" teams with one each for the NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL---the MLB Florida Marlins would move from Miami to this region in the northern part of the state. Doing so would free up franchises for other deserving cities that are large yet very isolated from other teams (Omaha comes to mind).

Cincinnati or Cleveland: Columbus is the 15th-largest city in the United States, with a population of 733,203 in the city proper, yet it sits in the shadow of Cincinnati and Cleveland, which are only the 56th-largest and 33rd-largest cities in the nation respectively. Granted these two metropolitan areas are still larger than Columbus, but as both of these areas see slow growth while Columbus continues to boom, that will most certainly be changing. The only professional sports team in Columbus is the Blue Jackets (NHL). That needs to change. I would propose Cleveland and Cincinnati each surrendering one of their sports franchises and giving them to Columbus, which is more centrally located in the state anyways. If bad blood occurs, you can always call the new teams the "Ohio Bengals" or "Ohio Browns", for example to help ease the transition.

Nope. We in Cleveland have seen that movie once before! The Browns won't be moving!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:12 AM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,402,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Can any of you see the following teams leave and relocate?

Kansas City Royals NO
Arizona Diamondbacks NO
Milwaukee Bucks NO
Detroit Pistons NO
Indiana Pacers NO
Los Angeles Clippers Only to San Diego
Minnesota Timberwolves NO
Denver Nuggets NO
Anaheim Ducks NO
Florida Panthers NO
New York Islanders
Dallas Stars HELL NO
San Diego Padres NO
Buffalo Bills NO....not now, anyway.
Only the Islanders, bro.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:34 PM

5,050 posts, read 5,978,831 times
Does anyone think that Oakland can holder on to the Athletics and/or the Raiders over the long run (even if they move(s) were internally within the Bay Area, or a slightly larger sweep of NorCal to include Sacto?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,592,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Pretty weak post, the Pistons...? Seriously....The Diamondbacks? Obviously, you didn't put much thought into your
Just because you didn't like the post, doesn't mean it's weak.

I can say the same for your post too. That just goes to show you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Only the Islanders, bro.
Reflecting on what I chose, where is who I can realistically see move. Not anytime in the near future but it could happen:

Milwaukee Bucks
Detroit Pistons
Minnesota Timberwolves
Florida Panthers
San Diego Padres
Buffalo Bills

The rest that I chose, the answer is no.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
The Saints aren't going anywhere as they get great support form the entire state.It not just about the new orleans city.Plus they have a great place to play and NFL does want to lose one of the best to have a super bowl at as far as cities.Other than that I have no idea because it will in the end be about money;stadium and support of fans overall.Money is the major thing.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-04-2013 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: sp. corr.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM

51 posts, read 21,511 times
Laredo lost its Hockey team already.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,823,128 times
Well, since this thread was started in December 2007, three franchises in the four major North American sports leagues have moved:

Seattle SuperSonics ---> Oklahoma City Thunder
A few people mentioned Seattle, but six weeks before this thread was started the ownership had already announced its intent to move, so 'Seattle!' was hardly prescient.

Atlanta Thrashers ---> Winnipeg Jets
No one mentioned Atlanta.

St. Louis Rams ---> Los Angeles Rams
No one mentioned the Rams.

Doesn't say much for the collective wisdom of this forum on franchise relocations!

Old 06-22-2016, 02:25 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, since this thread was started in December 2007, three franchises in the four major North American sports leagues have moved:

Seattle SuperSonics ---> Oklahoma City Thunder
A few people mentioned Seattle, but six weeks before this thread was started the ownership had already announced its intent to move, so 'Seattle!' was hardly prescient.

Atlanta Thrashers ---> Winnipeg Jets
No one mentioned Atlanta.

St. Louis Rams ---> Los Angeles Rams
No one mentioned the Rams.

Doesn't say much for the collective wisdom of this forum on franchise relocations!
I didn't want to show off and stuff

Old 06-22-2016, 10:21 AM

4,198 posts, read 2,023,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Minnesota Vikings
The Twins are getting a new stadium and the Minnesota Gophers are getting one also.

A couple weeks ago a representative from the NFL came to St Paul to plead the owners case for public financing of a new stadium and was given a flat "no" by the Governor.
This did not make big news in the papers, but it should have .
Sportswriters from the MPLS Tribune pointed out that the NFL represents the owners and they are not going to stand by and allow Minnesota politicians to say," you want it,you pay for it" when it comes to owners seeking public funding for NFL stadiums as this could set a precedent in the future.

I guess we will see.
I don't think Minneapolis will lose a franchise. St. Louis already lost two franchies, the Cardinals and now the Rams! They just relocated back to the Los Angeles area where they played for decades. Besides, the Twins HAVE a new stadium which was completed in 2010! The Vikings aren't going anywhere anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or