U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 AM

2,507 posts, read 6,008,820 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a 8 yr old who I want to introduce to golf.
How do I go about lessons ? group or private or both ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:53 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,253,658 times
Depends... are you a golfer? Are you teaching him anything yourself? I'd do as much as you can until you feel you can't help him improve and maybe a group thing with other kids his age would be good.

As he gets older if you or he chooses he can get lessons from a local golf pro if he wants.

My dad was the primary person who taught me... I never had one "professional" lesson in my life. He was a scratch golfer in his prime years and was very knowledgeable so I took advantage of that. I was a 4 handicap by the age of 15.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Depends... are you a golfer? Are you teaching him anything yourself? I'd do as much as you can until you feel you can't help him improve and maybe a group thing with other kids his age would be good.

As he gets older if you or he chooses he can get lessons from a local golf pro if he wants.

My dad was the primary person who taught me... I never had one "professional" lesson in my life. He was a scratch golfer in his prime years and was very knowledgeable so I took advantage of that. I was a 4 handicap by the age of 15.
I golf occasionally, 20 handicap.
I just want her (my DD) to have a good shot at learning it right, and don't want to teach her what I'm doing wrong, if you know what I mean
I have enrolled her into some group lessons, I'll see if I can have her practice on the range for a few months and then hire a private tutor if she wants to go at it.

Thanks for your response.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM

4,935 posts, read 2,015,121 times
Take her out to the range yourself. It's a good bonding experience even if you teach her bad swing habits. lol But really, that's how I learned. I think learning from a family member helps build a love for the game. If she then enjoys the game go with group lessons. They are more interesting.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:23 PM

3,911 posts, read 7,547,995 times
You'd get more out of private lessons. If shes just starting out or not sure if it's her thing, go to the assistant pro. You can probably get private lessons with the assistant for just a fraction more than a group with the head teaching pro. Some pros will even do a 15 min lesson for free. The key here though is if she wants to do it.

Another option is the first tee program. Dirt cheap, fun, group setting, good way to see if a kid is really interested.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,873,761 times
if you can find some sort of junior golf, first tee program with other children - that would be best......

Old 09-28-2014, 09:04 PM

thx, I got her enrolled in a group lesson.
I am going to take her to the range too.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:58 AM

7,458 posts, read 11,128,692 times
Low index golfer here. Go for a top private coach. Thats all you need. Thats of course if she enjoys it and wants to get better and you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports