U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,843,280 times

Advertisements

Went to turn on television for my show last night on XYZ channel. The one I wait all week to watch. And so I turn on the TV to XYZ channel. And what is the station running instead of my favorite program that I waited all week to see? That is one of my few pleasures? Football!! Never mind that a dozen other stations in the area are carrying the same football game. Never mind that it is XYZ specialty channel that advertises XYC programming and programs. I turn on the TV for my 1-hour show and there is football!! And after football is the "after game" show. And then the After-after game show that summarizes the game and the after-game show. The only bright spot is that I use digital antenna and don't pay for the signal (thank God). And it was like that last week and the week before. I go to work and what is all that my co-workers can talk about? Football!! "Hey George, are we going back into Iraq"? "Is the Ebola virus worsening"? "Did Scotland vote for independence"? George: Ii don't know, but you should have seen the play made by so and so running back towards the end of the third quarter". President cuts in: "We are facing a crisis of epic proportions. Russia has just nuked three of our Air force bases in Alaska and along with China, is planning to invade the United States"!! My coworkers response (would be): "Oh I don't care about that crap, let's just get back to the game"!! Football, football, football!! Every Friday it is "wear your favorite jersey" Friday. And I am not wearing a jersey, because I don't follow football. And they ask "Where is your jersey"? "I don't follow football". The room gets quiet. "Oh...okay...well (smile) you can just go over in the corner and sit quietly by yourself then".. it's almost THAT bad. People, I don't see football, or any sport, as evil, bad, un-American or anything like that. To each their own. But come on, for us that view watching a game as watching a leaky faucet drip and who don't want to pay $$$$ to buy a football game ticket give us a break!! Yes, there are other things in life!!

End Rant

Old 09-21-2014, 08:29 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
I hope you feel better now and I would advise to look online and see if your favorite one hour program is available there.

PS ~~ Paragraphs are your friend.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:33 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,476,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Went to turn on television for my show last night on XYZ channel. The one I wait all week to watch. And so I turn on the TV to XYZ channel. And what is the station running instead of my favorite program that I waited all week to see? That is one of my few pleasures? Football!! Never mind that a dozen other stations in the area are carrying the same football game. Never mind that it is XYZ specialty channel that advertises XYC programming and programs. I turn on the TV for my 1-hour show and there is football!! And after football is the "after game" show. And then the After-after game show that summarizes the game and the after-game show. The only bright spot is that I use digital antenna and don't pay for the signal (thank God). And it was like that last week and the week before. I go to work and what is all that my co-workers can talk about? Football!! "Hey George, are we going back into Iraq"? "Is the Ebola virus worsening"? "Did Scotland vote for independence"? George: Ii don't know, but you should have seen the play made by so and so running back towards the end of the third quarter". President cuts in: "We are facing a crisis of epic proportions. Russia has just nuked three of our Air force bases in Alaska and along with China, is planning to invade the United States"!! My coworkers response (would be): "Oh I don't care about that crap, let's just get back to the game"!! Football, football, football!! Every Friday it is "wear your favorite jersey" Friday. And I am not wearing a jersey, because I don't follow football. And they ask "Where is your jersey"? "I don't follow football". The room gets quiet. "Oh...okay...well (smile) you can just go over in the corner and sit quietly by yourself then".. it's almost THAT bad. People, I don't see football, or any sport, as evil, bad, un-American or anything like that. To each their own. But come on, for us that view watching a game as watching a leaky faucet drip and who don't want to pay $$$$ to buy a football game ticket give us a break!! Yes, there are other things in life!!

End Rant
yes! finally someone who gets it. i had this same experience the other day. i don't have anything against football. but people get all pissed when you like a different team. many of the fans are obnoxious. i've been too busy to follow football and i really don't miss it.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,994 times
Football evokes positive feelings in the most diehard of fans. Other than Thanksgiving and the December holidays, a lot of people view football games as a chance to come together and socialize with family and friends. There's also usually a ton of food and alcoholic beverages consumed at football parties. A fair amount of people probably don't even like football, but continue to follow the sport just to socialize at house parties and/or gatherings at the local pub. So when you tell your friends and colleagues that you're not really excited about football, I'm pretty sure you'll be labeled as antisocial.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,713,248 times
Yes, football is overrated.

Because HOCKEY is where it is at!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:59 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,194,122 times
I don't watch football, nor do I play fantasy football, it is funny when I tell people that, their reaction is, "baseball?" and I say "nope". Then they ask, "well, what do you do then?".

Old 09-21-2014, 02:32 PM

3,722 posts, read 2,973,299 times
Love football! Played it in high school and I compensate for not being very good at playing by being very good at watching.

As you say in your rant, to each their own. There are plenty of people I work with who are much more interested in deer season than football season.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:27 PM

14,059 posts, read 9,787,161 times

Thread being moved to a more suitable forum.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or