U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:16 PM

3,904 posts, read 7,483,326 times

Advertisements

Portland Wrestling was the last territory standing. Don Owen ran a good promotion, and while on a smaller scale he is still one of the best promoters in history. Roddy Piper was so loyal to Don Owen that he made special appearances on his shows while working for the WWF, which irked Vince Mcmahon to no end. Piper was the only WWE superstar who got away with this type of thing, because he was such a huge draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 06:58 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,160,394 times
Very true. I worked for Barry (Don's son) in Eugene and later Sandy Barr. I don't like talking bad about people so let's just say that I much preferred working for the Owen family.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 PM

245 posts, read 66,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
SummerSlam 1991.... epic.

Brett Hart defeated Mr. Perfect for the Intercontinental Championship which was the beginning of his Super Stardom.

Virgil defeated Ted DiBisase for his Million Dollar Championship

The Legion of Doom defeated The Nasty Boys for the Tag Team Titles

and the Main Event which was a handicap match featuring Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior against Sgt. Slaughter, Col. Mustafa, and General Adnan.

Oh... and who could forget the wedding of Macho Man Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth that was disrupted by Jake The Snake Roberts .... great feud that was.

Plus you had the Bushwhackers, Koko B. Ware, British Bulldog, Big Boss Man, the Mountie, Irwin R. Scheister.... oh and it was Andre The Giant's last ever PPV appearance in his lifetime before he passed away.

Good stuff... brings back great memories.... that pay per view put me over the top as a big wrestling fan as a kid.

That and 1990 were my two favorite Summerslams. Saw them both live on PPV. You could see that they were pushing Bret toward the top as early as Survivor Series '90 when he was the last man on his team and had a great exchange with Ted Dibiase before Dibiase pinned him. Then at the '91 Royal Rumble he drew #1 and lasted over 22 minutes before the Undertaker dropped him out to the floor. By the late winter/early spring, Bret was seemingly opening every episode of Superstars of Wrestling every Saturday by locking a hapless opponent into the Sharpshooter in 2 minute squash matches. Then came the culimination at Summerslam and a great match with Mr. Perfect who performed very well in spite of a severly injured back. (which would keep him out of action for over a year).

Old 12-18-2018, 11:10 PM

245 posts, read 66,878 times
The Honky Tonk Man claiming he was the greatest Intercontinental Champion and issuing an open challenge to anyone. Ultimate Warrior sprints to the ring like a madman, shakes the ropes, drops Honky Tonk Man with a shoulderblock and pins him to win the belt in record time. From that day on, I was a Warrior fan for life.

Old Today, 02:02 AM

22 posts, read 2,194 times
Hard to pinpoint a specific memory but I started watching wrestling regularly in '91-92 - WWF and WCW. At points I've taken breaks.

Old Today, 02:57 AM

866 posts, read 1,325,256 times
I started watching in the late 80s, mainly WWF. Remember watching Monday nights when Gorilla Monson and Bobby Heenan hamming it up for the cameras. Bobby's "ham and egger" still makes me laugh. So many wrestlers with unique characteristics. Jake "The Snake" Roberts unleashing his pet python (forgot his name) on his sleeping opponent. Ultimate Warrior looking like he was taking a combination of steroids, adrenaline and meth. Heck maybe he was, haha. Hulk Hogan and his "real American" act. That ridiculous Brother Love. Undertaker when he first started. Hacksaw Jim Duggan knocking Andre the Giant out cold. Still remember the 4 pay per view events every year: Wrestlemania, Survivor Series, Summer Slam, Royal Rumble. Had a picture of George "The Animal" Steele in my room with an "X" as his signature. I could on and on. Loved the storylines and the characters back then. IMO WWE today is too adult oriented. Not that I'm a prude but I just liked it better back when I was watching. It was more slapstick without a lot of the sexual innuendo and language you see today. Save that for other entertainment venues. Also the characters were way more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or