Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes your view:
I think that some women can play MLB, and I will be happy to see the day when they do. 4 19.05%
I think that some women can play MLB, but they don't belong in the game and I do not look forward to the day they start showing up on team rosters. 2 9.52%
I doubt that any woman is truly good enough to play in MLB. 15 71.43%
None of the above. 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Are there any women in single A ball right now?

If there aren't any there - I would have a hard time believing a woman would jump right to the big leagues.
There's no reason for an MLB club to do that at this point.

IMO, if you do see a female in MLB, she'll come from the indy leagues. And if she's successful at all, only then might you see some females in the minors.

I mentioned Ila Borders earlier in the thread. It's hard for me to believe there aren't others who have more potential. She was able to win games in Indy league play, which is about the same quality-wise as A ball, although you'll see some former MLB guys playing as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post

Makes sense to me!
There they are. I knew that I wasn't losing it.

Oh Oh, gotta go now. Those nice young men in their clean white coats are coming to take me away, ha ha, ho ho, hee hee.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:51 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
Only one could have handled playing with the big boys....

Old 06-26-2015, 02:20 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
yes i think a woman can play MLB. i also believe that a woman will play MLB in the future.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:20 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
The poll results are interesting. Six people (a majority, at this point) say that women will never be truly good enough to play MLB. Now the question is, why?

(1) Is it primarily physiological? Are female bodies just not strong enough, etc., to hit, throw, and run well enough for MLB?

(2) Is it primarily neurological? Are female brains just not wired right to develop sufficient hand-eye coordination, spatial abilities, etc. to complete in MLB?

(3) Is it primarily psychological? Women are unlikely to have the interest or intense focus that drives boys/men to develop to the skill levels required for professional baseball?

(4) Is it primarily social? Girls will never be raised in such a way that they are able to develop the required types of physical/mental skills as early as boys do? Or society will just never accept women in MLB, and that's that.

(5) Or perhaps it is a synergistic combination of some or all of these factors? There are so many things going against girls/women that they will realistically never rise to the level of skills required for MLB?

And one final question: Assume, just for the sake of argument, that a few woman do finally get on some MLB teams. Would you look back and say "Oh, I guess I was wrong about that." Or are you more likely to say: "MLB must have lowered their standards. That's the only way that women could have made it into the major leagues."

Personally, I suspect that some women are physically/psychologically able to compete in MLB, but due to the factors above, the number of women in MLB will probably always be relatively small compared to the number of men. I doubt that the percentage of female players would ever get higher than, say, 10 percent. But I'm not sure, one way or the other. I'd like to hear some thoughtful arguments for thinking that the percentage of women is likely to be higher, lower, or zero.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:12 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
The poll results are interesting. Six people (a majority, at this point) say that women will never be truly good enough to play MLB. Now the question is, why?

(1) Is it primarily physiological? Are female bodies just not strong enough, etc., to hit, throw, and run well enough for MLB?

(2) Is it primarily neurological? Are female brains just not wired right to develop sufficient hand-eye coordination, spatial abilities, etc. to complete in MLB?

(3) Is it primarily psychological? Women are unlikely to have the interest or intense focus that drives boys/men to develop to the skill levels required for professional baseball?

(4) Is it primarily social? Girls will never be raised in such a way that they are able to develop the required types of physical/mental skills as early as boys do? Or society will just never accept women in MLB, and that's that.

(5) Or perhaps it is a synergistic combination of some or all of these factors? There are so many things going against girls/women that they will realistically never rise to the level of skills required for MLB?

And one final question: Assume, just for the sake of argument, that a few woman do finally get on some MLB teams. Would you look back and say "Oh, I guess I was wrong about that." Or are you more likely to say: "MLB must have lowered their standards. That's the only way that women could have made it into the major leagues."

Personally, I suspect that some women are physically/psychologically able to compete in MLB, but due to the factors above, the number of women in MLB will probably always be relatively small compared to the number of men. I doubt that the percentage of female players would ever get higher than, say, 10 percent. But I'm not sure, one way or the other. I'd like to hear some thoughtful arguments for thinking that the percentage of women is likely to be higher, lower, or zero.
Will our answers be held in total confidence? Answering these questions and being exposed could lead to a slippery slope for us males.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:39 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Will our answers be held in total confidence? Answering these questions and being exposed could lead to a slippery slope for us males.
The poll is anonymous. Your answers to my questions are no more or less anonymous than your screen name. I'd also be curious to know how many women believe that women cannot play MLB and/or do not belong in the game for whatever reasons.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,394 times
I would like to see a women's baseball league like the WNBA does for basketball, and even a serious women's football league - one where they're actually in full uniforms and not in lingerie and bikinis just for the TV ratings. As good as some women may be at the sport, I think few would ever find success in the MLB. Just like I don't think Brittney Griner would have fared well in the NBA. Men and women are two totally different games.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:21 PM

132 posts, read 149,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post

I voted no there no woman truly good enough to play in the MLB, so I'll give it a shot.

(1) No, there are plenty of female athletes around that are in much better physical shape than a lot of MLB players. Think Pablo Sandavol.

(2) No, I don't believe skills are gender biased. I wonder how many women were born natural ball players but didn't have the same opportunities to develop those skills as men?

(3) No, same as above basically.

(4) A big YES. There are plenty of girls in little league that dominate. By the time high school rolls around some may stop developing, some may transfer to more socially accepted sports for women such as basketball and softball. I think this is the biggest factor.

(5) Yes, I think the odds of a female athlete having the physical ability, mental ability, skill set, and upbringing of baseball development are slim to none.

If there was a separate women's baseball program from high school, to college, and eventually a "WMLB" you would see some pretty good players.

But having said that, I believe it would be a lot like the WNBA. A totally different style of play. You're absolute best WMLB player would be a mid to low level MLB player at best.

Of course, these are just my opinions

Old 07-02-2015, 01:48 AM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
You don't have to have THAT strong of an arm to play CF. Have to ever seen Bernie Williams or Johnny Damon throw?? Neither of them could barely hit the infield cutout on throws back to the infielder. Sure, having a good arm helps, but it's not required like it is on the corners (especially RF). The good CF's have speed to cover the most ground and cover for the corners who are usually slower runners. That's why I think a girl could play CF as well, but I agree the most likely position to play is second base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports