Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes your view:
I think that some women can play MLB, and I will be happy to see the day when they do. 4 19.05%
I think that some women can play MLB, but they don't belong in the game and I do not look forward to the day they start showing up on team rosters. 2 9.52%
I doubt that any woman is truly good enough to play in MLB. 15 71.43%
None of the above. 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panasyncp17 View Post
(5) Yes, I think the odds of a female athlete having the physical ability, mental ability, skill set, and upbringing of baseball development are slim to none.
Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I agree that, in general, the odds will be lower for women than for men. But even odds of, say, a million-to-one would suggest that, if women are allowed to play, there will eventually be some in the game.

I'm curious about the comments people have made about throwing. I've seen photos of women with bigger muscles than I see on most baseball players. So, if properly trained, would they still be unable to throw as well as an average MLB player?

And I'd like to hear some comment on batting. How much straight-up strength is needed to hit into the grandstands? Compared with, say, timing and ability to connect solidly with the ball? (Not that good hitters always have to hit into the grandstands...I'm just trying to get a sense of comparison concerning the relationship between brute strength and batting ability, and whether a woman could hit into the grandstands, even if not as strong, overall, as the average MBL player.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I could see a great athlete being signed as a pinch runner, but that's about it.
An American League woman with a mean knuckle ball? Why the hell not. Every pitcher doesn't need to have a 90mph fast ball and with the designated hitter rule who knows. You have male pitchers like Tim Wakefield who is at his limit pitching 72mph fastball!

I think it is plausible, but still not likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports