Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:49 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

Simple = $$$$$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 09:23 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
I am not sure I buy the too slow thing, American Football is an hour game that can go on for three hours with only 11 minutes of play and it does fine.

I think a lot of it is America isn't interested if their stars arent number one, it is getting more expensive to play too.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Golf's decline is good news for America. Even though they appear green and healthy, golf courses are terribly polluting and require too much water.

And as an athletic/fitness passtime, it doesn't cut it. You could play 18 holes without a cart and still need an aerobic workout afterwards. As fitness, it is only good for the elderly.

And if your kid's favorite sport is golf, he's spending alot of time alone, lost in his own head concentrating on hitting a ball. In team sports (don't tell me golf is a team sport), kids get to socialize, play together, fit into a team while adopting what could be a life of fitness. And they are challenged by a host of disparate things and people. The challenge in golf is on the swing, little else.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
The question is all wrong. America was never in love with golf, only the upper classes were. The middle and lower classes never bothered with the sport and continue not to bother. It's a rich 'mans' game. And continues to be. Golf was ignorant using the field-of-dreams model of 'build it and they will come'. No. Not happening. So those courses close and golf is back to where it always was - with the country club set. America never embraced golf. Now Tiger was embraced but that's about it.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
The question is all wrong. America was never in love with golf, only the upper classes were. The middle and lower classes never bothered with the sport and continue not to bother. It's a rich 'mans' game. And continues to be. Golf was ignorant using the field-of-dreams model of 'build it and they will come'. No. Not happening. So those courses close and golf is back to where it always was - with the country club set. America never embraced golf. Now Tiger was embraced but that's about it.
I would argue that with Tiger Wood's ascent, many more middle and especially lower class people began to try the game. Groups of poor, urban kids were going on field trips to the burbs to play.

Thankfully, in less than 2 decades, the brief infatuation wore off.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:23 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
^^Yes that did happen but was fairly small scale and never went anywhere.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:37 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Time and cost to play. If I could get on and off the course in under 3.5 hours, id play more often. Hard to give up 6 hours to play.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:02 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Time and cost to play. If I could get on and off the course in under 3.5 hours, id play more often. Hard to give up 6 hours to play.
Unless youre married, then its not so hard to give up that time anymore

Old 03-13-2015, 08:00 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,383 times
Wow, I would have to agree with every single post in this thread, yes I've read them all. It's time consuming, who has 4-6 hours to give up, (if you're working a job, have a family, etc.), it's expensive, (it is a rich man's game, and again rich people have more freedom when it comes to time and money), it's very slow paced which is why baseball has seen a drop in popularity. I would argue that Tiger made golf largely popular not just because he was great, he was also interesting. Tiger WASN'T a gentleman, he cursed, spit, threw clubs, and played the game with white hot intensity. That is what attracted People to Tiger and in turn to golf. "Gentlemen" are boring. Nobody, unless you're a tool chest, wants to watch a "gentleman." Remember Miami Hurricanes football in the 80's and 90's, they were great, arguably the best college football dynasty of that era, but they were also extremely polarizing because of all the on and off the field antics, and the over the top swagger the Canes had. That what Tiger was, not just a great golfer, but a different golfer because he did it his way and broke the rules when it came to being a "gentleman."

Old 03-13-2015, 05:56 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I would disagree strongly with that. There was strong demand where I lived well before Tiger.

I think the areas around NYC and Boston got it right. I was working class, ascending to middle, but we had resident rates that were below market in Fairfield County and the same held true in Westchester Cty and outside Boston with the MetroParks courses.

Problem was, weekend tee times were so in demand that you'd literally end up with people sleeping in the cars in course parking lots because you had to be there in person to snag one of the prime tee times. These were definitely not the "1%ers".

These were not country club people, but folks who'd definitely play as often as possible on a course they could afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports