Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:18 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In few words, it's an elitist sport
a big percentage of people that play golf only play to feel important
in the same way that people buy a sport car to feel important

I hate golf
as an athlete is the most stressful sport I have ever played
I have played for many years, I have had several pars and a couple of birdies.
Unlike other sports .... I feel like I have zero control of my game.
One day I play really good, the next day I play like total sh:t and I have no idea what I did wrong.
You're way off in your opinions. Not even close to being correct. If you visit munis all over the country, you'd see who is playing golf at these courses. Not elitists - old people, young people, people from all socioeconomic status. Has nothing to do w/ feeling important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
How are people taking 6 hours to play a round of golf? Is it just bad luck getting stuck behind slower players?

Where I live, golf seems pretty popular among all income and skill levels, not to mention constant tournaments making it difficult to get tee times at some courses. I live in a predominantly working class community, certainly not a "rich" area like one might think of Westchester or the like. I have access to some pretty good public courses that range in price from 20 to 60 bucks a round, obviously those more expensive courses being higher level, tour quality courses. And if you don't call a week in advance for a Saturday or Sunday tee time, you're usually going to be SOL, especially when the forecast is calling for good weather without question.

Also, what exactly is wrong with spending some time away from the house? For me, golf is kind of a nice getaway from daily life and dealing with the wife, kid, house, and all other responsibilites. I find it relaxing but also challenging, and it's fun trying to figure out different aspects of my game and seeing improvements when I find something that works. Also, I should note I'm only 32, I'm not some stodgy retiree or anything. And I have other friends in the same age bracket that find the game fun and addicting.

As I tell everyone I see on the course, a bad day of golf is better than a good day at work
I think the annoyance there isn't' that you're away for such a long time. But the fact that you are spending that time unnecessarily. I compare it to hanging out with your friend for 5 hours at the bar is good, but spending 4 hours in traffic and just 1 hour at the bar is a different story.

6 hours is not normal (for me, that would be at tournaments or outings). But 5 hours is common for publics course on weekends. Especially if they try to squeeze more people on by shortening the time between groups. You go from 8 minutes to 6 minutes, and you're likely going to have 2-3 groups waiting on par 3's. This is why I like to play at the crack of dawn.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:28 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times
Both my parents played golf. My dad played in a league at work, and my mother joined a women's league. They'd go out together on weekends, and taught my son to play. My parents were solidly middle class, not elitist at all, but they did enjoy spending time outdoors. For my mother, since she was a SAHM, it gave her an opportunity to be among other women and got her out of the house.

They have since passed, and my son - who used to enjoy playing - now does not play at all. No time, and no one to play with. Golf leagues at work have become a rarity.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times
Is golfing going the way of bowling? That's another sport that used to be popular, but I don't know of anyone who does it any more.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:58 AM

I watched tennis go through a high in popularity in the 70s, 80s....but it seems to have lost its appeal. Used to be you couldn't get on a court - people always waiting to get on the courts......Now I drive by courts all the time and don't see anyone out there ever. It's a relatively inexpensive and healthy sport. Guess we need good American male players like we did w/ Agassi, Connors, Sampras, McEnroe......maybe golf has a similar problem now that TW is out of the picture?

Old 03-21-2015, 10:50 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Well the city data censors took my youtube video off here, but I recommend for a good laugh and yes, some thoughts on golf, go to youtube and do a search for George Carlin on homelessness and golf.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:04 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Well the city data censors took my youtube video off here, but I recommend for a good laugh and yes, some thoughts on golf, go to youtube and do a search for George Carlin on homelessness and golf.
Carlin was a unique talent....did some really good stuff and some really bad stuff. That piece was an example of the latter.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
The recent interest in Golf certainly seems to have risen and fallen with the rise and fall of Tiger Woods.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:47 AM

the economy has a lot to do with it as well....green fees are outrageous in my opinion - if you're a frequent player you're shelling out $30-50/round....

Old 03-31-2015, 08:38 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
the economy has a lot to do with it as well....green fees are outrageous in my opinion - if you're a frequent player you're shelling out $30-50/round....
I'd love to be playing for that cheap during the summer. Here even the cheapest courses are pushing 60 over the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports